Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/191-electrical-wiring-car-entertainment)
-   -   Electrical nightmare (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/191-electrical-wiring-car-entertainment/352069-electrical-nightmare.html)

93excivic 10-13-2012 12:49 PM

Electrical nightmare

I just got a 93 civic and it was working fine but now I have a total wiring mess on my hands.

it started with the "running lights" popping the fuse everytime, theres supposed to be a 10amp but the previous owner had a 30amp to prevent this im assuming.

I looked all under the dash and toward the lights trying to find the short but no such luck yet.

The REAL problem now is the car won't start, the battery light has stopped coming on. So I can crank the motor over but the fuel pump wont turn on, so the engine will not start. This happended after just poking around underneeth and unplugging the rear lights trying to find the original short.

At this point I am so frustrated and dont know what to do, I need a starting point of where to look. Im so confused! :russian:

ezone 10-13-2012 02:04 PM

Re: Electrical nightmare

This happended after just poking around underneeth and unplugging the rear lights trying to find the original short.
Did you unplug a harness under the dash (or anywhere inside the interior of the car)?
Plug it back together.

93excivic 10-14-2012 05:48 AM

i did unplug harness from under dash... but i pluged everything back to normal, still i cant get a battery light to come on dash when key is on position.....wired

93excivic 10-14-2012 08:16 AM

my fuel pump relay will not kick on either...i no relay is good, its not working because the battery light isnt comeing on... any other suggestions? thx

ezone 10-14-2012 11:31 AM

How many OTHER idiot lights DON'T come on now? More than just the battery light are supposed to come on when you turn the key.

Start checking ALL the fuses, under the dash AND in the engine compartment.

Get a wiring diagram and test equipment (test light?), use a systematic process to figure out what is missing from the equation.

Notice as many NEW electrical issues as you can right now, try to locate a common point that may be the cause of the problem.

You blew fuse #12 or 24 in the dash fusebox? That will shut down an awful lot of stuff.

ezone 10-14-2012 11:37 AM

If the fuse(s) don't even receive power when the key is turned on (test light again) then I'd be checking power sources like the ignition switch, and where the ignition switch get its power from.

Wiring diagram and test light.

Reddog74q2 10-14-2012 11:51 AM

how do I post a question on this forum,please

ezone 10-14-2012 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Reddog74q2 (Post 4620732)
how do I post a question on this forum,please

Start at "forums"

Pick the year of your car -- 7th gen, 6th gen, etc.

Pick a sub-forum category that fits your area of concern -- like https://www.civicforums.com/forums/clear.gif Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues, or I.C.E. & Electrical

Check stickys to see if your subject was already covered.

If no, then find this button on the left side of the page
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/i.../newthread.gif
just above the list of threads.

Click the button that says 'subscribe to thread' somewhere too....so you get emails when there are replies to threads you have posted in.

HTH

93excivic 10-15-2012 05:38 AM

ok ezone lol.... i did everything you told me, this is what is came down too...

the wire diagram in my car is not for an EX model. so it was tellin me that
the fuse that powers main relay and ect.... was a spare so i used the fuse for something else.... my friend mechanic came over and said "dude you dont even have a fuse in it", it took him 5min and me two days to figure out...WOW i know...

so i feel like an idiot............FREE LAUGHS LOL thx tho man:rockon:

Largen 10-15-2012 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by 93excivic (Post 4620852)
ok ezone lol.... i did everything you told me, this is what is came down too...

the wire diagram in my car is not for an EX model. so it was tellin me that
the fuse that powers main relay and ect.... was a spare so i used the fuse for something else.... my friend mechanic came over and said "dude you dont even have a fuse in it", it took him 5min and me two days to figure out...WOW i know...

so i feel like an idiot............FREE LAUGHS LOL thx tho man:rockon:

That's nothing ha ha man simple stupid shit like that happens all the time, did my timing belt, water pump and a cam in my car, almost started it, and found a bolt for the water pump... Only had 3 in LOL
A buddie of mine had a... 92? Prelude, he could not figure out why he had no brake lights for over a year, I came over and looked. Blown fuse. LOL
Shit happens! Glad it's running!

ezone 10-15-2012 07:11 PM

the wire diagram in my car is not for an EX .......so i feel like an idiot........

....FREE LAUGHS LOL
I'm not laughing at you....
Grabbing a wrong diagram happens a lot, and it can be painful once you figure it out...BTDT many times. The books we use aren't always clearly marked for all the different possible variations in the cars, and the diagram you really needed was only one page away the whole time...Laughing at you..

spare so i used the fuse for something else
Yeah, ummm, it's tough to tell if a fuse is good, when it's missing completely.

it took him 5min and me two days to figure out
One of the mechanics I work with is like this....he usually HATES MY GUTS because I can make a lot of stuff look that easy.
So I announce when I screw something up, he feels better. LOL

93excivic 10-17-2012 10:44 AM

i know stupid things like a fuse can ruin a day..lol but ya thx for the support and my CAR RUNS AGAIN! i laugh at myself for dumb crap:roflmao:...i was so supset i was ganna sell my car....but why would i do that i luv my car.....:_doh: this is my 3rd EG you would think i would know everything about it