Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/191-electrical-wiring-car-entertainment)
-   -   amp setting for subwoofer (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/191-electrical-wiring-car-entertainment/304992-amp-setting-subwoofer.html)

316 02-27-2008 08:29 AM

amp setting for subwoofer

Hello everyone

I have an amp which runs a subwoofer only.

I need help adjusting the setting to work with the subwoofer.

How do i adjust the gain, LP, HP ???

i have a bass boost and this other button which gives me 3 options, LP, FULL, HP.

What are those?? how do i set them???

And also when i play a song, the subwoofer runs, and when the music is paused, I can hear the subwoofer at the back still running, producing this very low tone, like a engine running from a distance.

How can i turn off the subwoofer, when there is no music playing?? when the headunit switched off , the amp switches off as well. But the problem is, when the headunit is on, and there is no music, i can hear the subwoofer, producing this sound, very low sound, like static sound.

Please HELP

Envy 02-27-2008 03:06 PM

Re: amp setting for subwoofer

do you have a pioneer head unit? ive heard that happens on a few pioneers. also, make sure your power cables arent near your rca's. for tuning, put it on low pass = LP. and stay away from bass boost. i wouldnt turn the knob more than 25% without risking clipping at high volumes

carter 02-27-2008 09:21 PM

depends on how much your sub drains and how much your amp can handle. Set the bass boost at about 35% of the way up and then adjust your gain to about 75% and once you hit that margin turn it up to about when you start to loose the sound quality. When doing this make shore your volume is a little past 3/4 the way up or the loudest you'd ever play it.

give that shot :)

316 02-28-2008 09:18 AM

ok great,

So stay away from bass boost, or just but a bit of it. GOT IT

switch it to LP, rather than FULL or HP .... GOT IT, But can u explain the difference if you dont mind, for my own knowledge?

You have explained how to adjust the gain, but how would i adjust the LP and HP??

I have a Sevic Dvd player...

Apart from the amp setting, what about the headunit setting.

How do i adjust the Fade, Balance, Bass, Treble ect .. in the headunit to get the best sound. Whats the difference between them??

Thanks in advanced

Envy 02-28-2008 02:36 PM

FADE: Front or back speakers
BALANCE: Right or left side speakers
These only affect your incar speakers.

Bass: Adjust it to YOUR desired level
Treble: YOUR desired level. Its the high pitched noises like the singing. Not the most comfortable to have at more than +3

Full: Lets all the sound frequencies through
High Pass: Only lets the high sound frequencies through such as some symphonic instruments + singing.
Low Pass: Only lets low frequencies through. Your BOOM!
Which ever you set it at, it will only let certain frequencies through that fit the description. To tune the low pass, just spin the knob till all you hear coming from your subs are bass. For highpass, just turn it until all the distortion goes away. Good luck

The way it works is that it "chops" off the sound waves (sine and cosine waves) that dont fit the description. This way, it doesnt amplify the entire musical signal, which can incur clipping if you tune it wrong for high volumes. It will just amplify certain signals that fit your specifications, therefore putting the least strain on your amp

Lord ET 02-28-2008 02:58 PM

high pass accepts higher frequency sounds ( treble) lowpass is lower frequency sounds. You'll want to set it to LP for tuning purposes because you don't really need to worry about the higher frequencies( they have less amplitude and won't ruin your speakers as easily)

spikezone2005 02-29-2008 01:02 AM

if its making a noise when nothings playing it means u have to much power running to the sub and u need to tune it, when tuning also use the controls u have on ur headunit aswell as the amp

316 02-29-2008 05:43 AM

Thanks guys, I will have a go on what was said, and hopefully i should get a quality sound through.

Thanks for the advice, much appriciated