Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/191-electrical-wiring-car-entertainment)
-   -   80gb Hard drive based ipod. (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/191-electrical-wiring-car-entertainment/301122-80gb-hard-drive-based-ipod.html)

phuviano 10-20-2007 01:58 AM

80gb Hard drive based ipod.

This question for people that have/or had ipods in there car, and kept in there. Which means leaving it in their car over night, and hardly ever taking it out.

I currently do this with my ipod nano, and everything works flawless. I want to know if anybody does this with a regular ipod (hard drive based) ???

The reason I ask, because I have a flash based ipod, and the weather doesn't really affect it much. I was wondering if anybody had any issue's leaving your ipod in your car weeks at a time.

Also I need replies from people who live where there's snow, because I leave my ipod in my car in the extreme cold as well. The only time I take it out, is to update my music playlist. Oh, and I want a bigger ipod, and even 16gb ipod touch is not enough space for all my songs.

DieMaster 10-20-2007 12:27 PM

Re: 80gb Hard drive based ipod.

i live out in CA so IDK what snow is :rofl:

but it does get fin hot here and i leave my 60gb 5thgen in my car all the time. in the morning it taks some seconds to spin up the drive and get going but other than that i've had not problem at all. problem is the interface with the head unit is SOOOOOOOOO slow. i've been toying with the idea of getting a navigation double din unit or getting a carputer and putting a touch screen in there.

but yea no problems here. just hide it well. theft is high where i live so mine is in a place no one would even think of looking.

phuviano 10-20-2007 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by DieMaster (Post 4253524)
problem is the interface with the head unit is SOOOOOOOOO slow. i've been toying with the idea of getting a navigation double din unit or getting a carputer and putting a touch screen in there.

but yea no problems here. just hide it well. theft is high where i live so mine is in a place no one would even think of looking.

Interface on my deck is pretty good, and fairly quick. Theft is not an issue because you can't see my ipod when you sit in my car. Most people don't even know my music is coming from an ipod.

Thanks, for your input.

Anyone else?? someone that lives in an area with snow. I really want to know how the ipod would respond in really cold weather.

Envy 10-20-2007 10:35 PM

i live in MD, and while I havent left my iPod in MY car, i have left it in a car overnight in the winter. It took a reaaaaaaaaaaaaaly loooooooooong time to boot up, and since its a 5th gen HDD based one,i am pretty sure that wasnt too healthy for it. and btw, anytime you get a HDD, there is a recommendation not to leave it in extreme temperatures. This is because in heat, the HDD disc (a lot like a really thin vinly record that is read from a needle) can become corrupted and warped. In the cold, it requires that the needle spin up some more ( a lot more) and in the long run, the extra spinning CAN (but may not) cause long run damage to the HDD.

phuviano 10-21-2007 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Envy (Post 4253721)
i live in MD, and while I havent left my iPod in MY car, i have left it in a car overnight in the winter. It took a reaaaaaaaaaaaaaly loooooooooong time to boot up, and since its a 5th gen HDD based one,i am pretty sure that wasnt too healthy for it. and btw, anytime you get a HDD, there is a recommendation not to leave it in extreme temperatures. This is because in heat, the HDD disc (a lot like a really thin vinly record that is read from a needle) can become corrupted and warped. In the cold, it requires that the needle spin up some more ( a lot more) and in the long run, the extra spinning CAN (but may not) cause long run damage to the HDD.

ah, too late. I just bought an 80gb one today. I figure its got a 1 year warranty with apple. So if anything goes wrong they'll fix it. Plus if I don't like the way it performs in the cold weather, I'll just go back to a flash based ipod.