Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/191-electrical-wiring-car-entertainment)
-   -   Can't Start The Car On The Clutch Anymore (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/191-electrical-wiring-car-entertainment/298033-cant-start-car-clutch-anymore.html)

DeX 07-31-2007 08:32 PM

Can't Start The Car On The Clutch Anymore

WTF? I drained the battery with my carputer once about 2 months ago and 2-3 times since. The first time it happened my roommate pushed my car with little effort and I popped the clutch to start it no sweat. The next few times I had multiple people pushing the car and was unable to start it on the clutch, couldn't figure out why. So today when I had it boosted for the last time, I took it out for a spin to charge the battery again and parked it on a steep hill. I got it going real fast, dropped the clutch, nothing. Still didn't start, it definitely should have on that one. WTF?

As a bit of background, I've done this multiple times on multiple vehicles for various reasons, starting motor dying, dead batteries, whatever. I turn the key to on, put it in 2nd gear, put in the clutch, let it roll and then let the clutch out fast, putting it in again so it doesn't stall.

DeX 08-07-2007 04:05 AM

Re: Can't Start The Car On The Clutch Anymore

Anyone?

electric130 08-08-2007 08:58 AM

if the battery is too dead to run the ignition system, the car won't start. you won't get juice out of the alternator fast enough to run the car this way. so i'd say it all depends on the load capacity of the battery. if it won't hold a charge from driving around, the battery is shot and won't be strong enough to run the ignition system i'd think.

DeX 08-08-2007 10:30 PM

I don't think you understand. I could take out my battery, throw it on the ground, leave it there, and still start my car on the clutch with no battery at all. What I'm saying now is that I can no longer start my car on the clutch.

AmbulanceMonkee 08-08-2007 10:35 PM

i don't know whats up with that. does it still shift fine?? like does the clutch work as it always has during normal driving??

DeX 08-09-2007 01:07 AM

Oh ya, everything works perfect. But you've started a car on the clutch before right? For some reason it won't work anymore.

AmbulanceMonkee 08-09-2007 01:47 AM

i've never actually done it, but i understand the principle. i have no idea why it stopped working for you.

electric130 08-09-2007 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by DeX (Post 4225600)
I don't think you understand. I could take out my battery, throw it on the ground, leave it there, and still start my car on the clutch with no battery at all. What I'm saying now is that I can no longer start my car on the clutch.

no, i do understand. i've started many cars off the clutch. it could be a sign that your alternator isn't putting out what it needs to? or something else going bad.

mneuls 08-22-2007 02:01 AM

you key needs to be in the run position.

mneuls 08-22-2007 02:02 AM

your key needs to be in the run position. i have had it happen where i put it only in accessory, then I was like WTF!

sorry for the double post, my bad.

DeX 08-24-2007 01:33 PM

I know, it was all the way forward and the dash lights were all on. Still can't figure it out.

mneuls 08-24-2007 05:55 PM

sux to be you, i have started my car by opening the driver door ,and pushing the car backwards out of the driveway with one foot, then throwing it in reverse before.

to make it so the battery doesn't go dead anymore, you should throw a battery in the trunk for the carputer, and hook an isolator up between the battery in the trunk and the one under the hood. motor homes use this, it allows you to drain the one trunk battery totally dead, and still have full power on the battery under the hood. this should solve your problem.

electric 130 had it right though, if you drain the battery too much, it acts as a load when the car starts, and pulls all the power away from the ignition system. any other problem should cause the car not to start when you jump it too. Using a second battery and an isolator should solve all your problems.