Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/191-electrical-wiring-car-entertainment)
-   -   Sell JL gear for Alpine? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/191-electrical-wiring-car-entertainment/295700-sell-jl-gear-alpine.html)

Rufus 06-05-2007 05:51 PM

Sell JL gear for Alpine?

I'm considering selling my JL 500/1 and 300/2 in favor of the new Alpine PDX-2.150 and a PDX-1.1000. Alpines new 1.1000 isn't any bigger and would fit in my setup where a JL 1000/1 would not. However, the 2.150 is a class D amp where my 300/2 is an A/B and it runs my front channel. Any input on these amps?

Rufus 06-06-2007 02:25 PM

Re: Sell JL gear for Alpine?

The lack of response saddens me...

Lesclaypool 06-06-2007 02:45 PM

I'd reply, but I have no information on either of these.... I have a crappy amp, and crappy subs... I no longer have any use of these, until i get my music set up..... You can read my thread right below urs.... It involves using a hard drive with 80 gigs connecting to the cd player through a USB adapter....

I think it should run good, and since all of my music is ripped from cds i own, it'll sound better than cds..... I can even re-rip them to like 512 mbps.... I'm not sure how much it would help...

but yeah, i didn't know there were different classes, a, b, d?? what are the differences?

christmaspie 06-06-2007 03:34 PM

So you'd be replacing an A/B that runs front speakers with a class D? Is it a full range D then? I've yet to actually hear one.

tuningmycivic 06-06-2007 04:48 PM

i'm not a total noob on amps and stuff, but i don't understand why you'd trade a a/b running your mids and highs (fronts) for a d, which i've always thought were traditionally sub amps? also, am i correct in the assumption that an amp's "class" is determined by it's power supply type and efficiency?

hwt101 06-06-2007 05:00 PM

i would not trade my 300/2 or 500/1 for any other amplifier they are great amps and take a beating as far as continuous use.

hvc 06-06-2007 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by hwt101 (Post 4199416)
i would not trade my 300/2 or 500/1 for any other amplifier they are great amps and take a beating as far as continuous use.

quoted for truth.

if you're planning on the class d amp to power your fronts, which are highs and mids, then i'd stick with your JL's man. Class-D amps are used for pulsating-type waves. Such as the short bursts of bass, not the constant output of your high's and mids. a class D amp uses very little power during it's off states, which is the second(s) between each beat. Due to this, a class-d amp running constantly to provide power to your fronts, will overheat in no time, as the very little power generated allows for a smaller heatsink and a lesser power supply.

Edit: just read about the PDX amp, and it's designed to put out constant power, and compete with class A and B amps. So, with the new designs out, then i guess you can go with the alpine if you feel like it, but id stick with the JL's man.

Rufus 06-07-2007 12:00 AM

I would have no issue if it wasn't a class D, but my amps wouldn't match otherwise.

I agree my JL's kick ass. I would just love to bump up to a 1000 watt sub amp so I can stop underpowering my Diamond Audio D9's

beverly_k 06-08-2007 03:46 AM

keep your JL's they are great amp and for me is way better than Alpine

gerardo reynoso 06-08-2007 07:08 AM

if you do sell them how much u want for both of them ??

Rufus 06-08-2007 10:21 PM

A kabillion bucks. Cash only.