Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/191-electrical-wiring-car-entertainment)
-   -   High End Deck or Low End DVD?? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/191-electrical-wiring-car-entertainment/290847-high-end-deck-low-end-dvd.html)

rice4lyfe 02-24-2007 08:27 PM

High End Deck or Low End DVD??

Ive been planning to buy a new deck but i wanted to check out other options.

Now, i'm looking into a deck to look good with my car so im seeing what else i could get for around 500ish

Should i get really really nice deck or an inexpensive DVD player from bestbuy?

Opinions please! 8)

XSRCivic 02-24-2007 10:56 PM

what do you want? a dvd player that is less than great with music playback or a cd/mp3 player that sounds outstanding. I prefer quality sound over anything.

Taffy 02-24-2007 11:23 PM

Function over Form.

Get one that has the features you might want: MP3/WMA compatible,IPOD sat. radio, decent built in amp (if you aren't looking to add a 4 channel later), one that will support the RMS ratings of aftermarket speakers that you might add later, and overall build quality.

Don't waste your money buying decks over and over agian trying to find the one that you want. Do some good research on the one you really want and will be happy with for a long time.

thefever 02-25-2007 12:51 AM

got the dual dvdx8181 from best buy. i think it's like 500ish, and I love it. The old 8180's sucked, but I definitely recommend getting a warranty on any screen you buy

rice4lyfe 02-25-2007 12:55 AM

aiight, thats what im planning to do. Ive been looking at pioneers new 6900UB with its new USB function. Im seeing how people think of that one, i think its great having USB function as well as CD because its alot quicker and smaller to carry around.

Ive looked at JVC USB-compatible decks and saw taht they're one of the first to use this option.

Anyone have any good suggestions?

12345678910 02-28-2007 08:38 PM

ive got a panasonic CQ-C8313. its an awesome deck, i love it.

and go with a big warranty regardless of what you get.

phuviano 02-28-2007 09:45 PM

The pioneer 6900UB seems like a pretty good deck. I like my pioneers though. IMO, never buy cheap brands like jensen, dual, etc... You get what you pay for.

I've owned both a low end DVD player (pioneer 5700), and I now currently own the top of the line pioneer deck (9800bt). Sound was so so on the 5700, and was not that great. It was cool to have the 5700, but I got tired of it after a while, and SQ is more important to me.

If your looking for entertainment, get a DVD player. If your looking for a good SQ, get a high end deck.

btw, I wouldn't consider the 6900UB a high end deck. Its a decent deck, but its a middle level deck. Its not low end, but its not high end. To be honest, I would suggest the pioneer DEH-7800, 5 volt pre-outs, 16 band EQ.

rice4lyfe 02-28-2007 11:07 PM

well i ended up getting the 6900UB. I wanna see whats new with Pioneer. Since its my second deck, i want to compare my first Sony one with it. I REALLY wanted the 9800bt (bluetooth feature) but its out of my budget atm.

My gf told me that having a dvd player in ur car was kinda stupid... after some thought, i realized that it was, since my car was just a daily driver with not much mods. I think i would rather listen to my music GOOD in my car instead of sitting in my car for no reason just to watch a movie...that's what my house is for.

The 6900ub is in backorder atm so i gotta wait for it..bah, i wonder how long that is gunna be..

phuviano 02-28-2007 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by rice4lyfe (Post 4152680)
I think i would rather listen to my music GOOD in my car instead of sitting in my car for no reason just to watch a movie...that's what my house is for.

That's a very good point which most people don't think of. Congrats on the deck, and I'm pretty sure it'll be better than your old sony.