Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Wheels and Tires (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/189-wheels-tires)
-   -   2013 Civic Hybrid SPARE TIRE Surprise! (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/189-wheels-tires/355634-2013-civic-hybrid-spare-tire-surprise.html)

Signman45 05-26-2013 06:36 PM

2013 Civic Hybrid SPARE TIRE Surprise!

Foolish me for not checking out the spare tire in my new Hybrid! OH THAT'S RIGHT, THERE ISN'T ONE!

They give you this cool little air pump and tell you if you have a blowout, call a wrecker.

There is a tire mount under the foam box that contains the pump.

Has anyone found a wheel/tire/jack that would work on the Hybrid? Not feeling too good about driving with no spare!

ezone 05-26-2013 08:16 PM

Re: 2013 Civic Hybrid SPARE TIRE Surprise!

That is no surprise, it's in the owners manual.

MANY cars don't have a spare any more, I guess a tiny pump is cheaper and lighter than a tiny donut tire and wheel.

Saw a 12 SB model Elantra with no spare the other day. (SB=sh!tbox) Just a pump and some slime type stop leak.

You need a spare tire and wheel, a jack (and crank), and at least a 19mm lug wrench. And the hold down anchor set for the wheel. Maybe the foam holder for the jack and lugwrench stuff.
I'd expect that any spare from a 12 or 13 non-hybrid (EX, LX) will work if you can stuff it in the trunk well....

I would THINK that a spare from 06 and newer Civic should also work but the part number is different and there isn't info on specs so I cannot say it will for certain.

I'd say to check local wrecking yards and see if an older one will fit your car, if you can't find one from a 12 or 13.

HTH

CraigW 05-27-2013 09:37 AM

That nasty fix a flat stuff should go over real well with the TPMS sensors... I'd think.

So is there a place you could put a donut if you bought one ??

As much as I hate donuts and the cheap jacks, it would be scary not to have something.

Are all new Civics that way now ??

ezone 05-27-2013 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by CraigW (Post 4641622)
That nasty fix a flat stuff should go over real well with the TPMS sensors... I'd think.

Ordinary off-the-shelf products can ruin TPMS sensor, I believe it is stated in the owners manuals to avoid using Fix-a-Flat products. (If it is not in the owners manual, I know it is listed in the bulletin list.) The tire snot goo supplied with the car is supposedly water soluble and the sensor can be rinsed clean.

http://www.justanswer.com/honda/3hqn...s-doesn-t.html

So is there a place you could put a donut if you bought one ??

Yeah it should, the body is still a regular Civic. (I have not checked in a Hybrid recently, not fresh in my mind.) They put a chunk of round styrofoam type stuff in place of the spare with pockets to hold the pump and goo, I assume to stay compliant with crash regulations. The spare absorbs energy in a rear crash, the insert will too.

Are all new Civics that way now ??
Just Civic and Insight hybrids come to mind right now AFAIK, I know the regular Civics still have a spare and jack and stuff.

Signman45 05-27-2013 11:36 AM

There is a spot if you pull out the styrofoam! It is an anchor spot for a donut. I have called the dealer and waiting to hear if they have one. If not, it's off to the junkyards!

CraigW 05-27-2013 11:52 AM

Sounds like you can locate all the stuff and add it in easy enough (minus the cost)

My 2010 has the foam insert that holds all the stuff, I would imagine 9th gens are similar.

ezone 05-27-2013 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Signman45 (Post 4641629)
If not, it's off to the junkyards!

www.car-part.com

I'd search and locate, then make a real phone call and talk to a real human. That's the best way to be sure you get what all you want or need.