Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Wheels and Tires (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/189-wheels-tires)
-   -   trying to replace wheel bearing, not coming out (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/189-wheels-tires/332355-trying-replace-wheel-bearing-not-coming-out.html)

mecheng101 10-05-2010 05:02 PM

trying to replace wheel bearing, not coming out

:help: So, I'm replacing the CV joint and trying to replace the wheel bearing while I'm in there. The bearing will not come out. The bearing is now in two pieces, one piece attached to the hub and the other still attached to the car.
I've tried pounding it out, soaking it in WD-40 and liquid wrench, nothing is working. I took off the retainer ring, so all that's left that needs to come out is the outermost ring of the old bearing (seeing as the rest of the bearing is still attached to the hub - any suggestions on how to get that of too?) but it will not budge.

Any suggestions? It's a 94 DX coupe.

chuckklr04 10-20-2010 06:42 AM

Re: trying to replace wheel bearing, not coming out

Heat the outside and cool the inside if possible.

02civicsi02 10-20-2010 10:55 AM

The wheel bearing has to be pressed out with a press and also has to be pressed in with a press.

Nosepicker 10-20-2010 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by 02civicsi02 (Post 4494773)
The wheel bearing has to be pressed out with a press and also has to be pressed in with a press.

:confused:

02civicsi02 10-20-2010 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Nosepicker (Post 4494775)
:confused:

Why are you confused

Nosepicker 10-20-2010 11:32 AM

So, basically what you're saying is one cannot do this alone without a machine press?

02civicsi02 10-20-2010 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Nosepicker (Post 4494784)
So, basically what you're saying is one cannot do this alone without a machine press?

Yes you need a press to do this. It says it in the service manual and what do you think they use at shops to replace a wheel bearing, a press of course. I have replace countless wheel bearings at the shop at school and you have to use a press to do it. If you try doing it with your hands or tools have fun. You might get it but its going to take a very long time. It would be a real pain trying to get the bearing back in to. You need a special tool also for the snap ring to.

Nosepicker 10-20-2010 11:58 AM

Good info. Glad I read this before tackling it. Thanks OP, but sorry about your situation at the same time.

02civicsi02 10-20-2010 12:13 PM

Just a quick tip, before you put the new wheel bearing back in slather it in anti-seize and oil. It makes it go in so much easier and makes its spin really good to.