Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Wheels and Tires (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/189-wheels-tires)
-   -   What size spare tire will work with 17" wheel upgrade??? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/189-wheels-tires/318912-what-size-spare-tire-will-work-17-wheel-upgrade.html)

dougstoner 06-23-2009 07:58 AM

What size spare tire will work with 17" wheel upgrade???

I have an 05 LX coupe, and I was thinking about getting some 17" wheels. (Enkei J10's) Right now, I am running the stock 15" wheels. Anyway, I heard that I won't be able to use my spare now if I get a flat since the wheels will be different sizes. So, is this true? If it is, what do you do to get around this? Is there a 17" spare you can buy or do you just have to get your car towed if you ever do get a flat? I spoke with a shop, and they said it would be fine, but I have a feeling having different size wheels on the front would present a problem because of the transmission.

Also, side note...you think 17's will look okay? I can't decide between 18's and 17's. I know 18's will ride rougher, and more prone to bending wheels (depending on the tire wall size). I just don't want to be stuck with tiny looking wheels/tires.

Thanks in advance.

iandi671 07-01-2009 07:27 PM

Re: What size spare tire will work with 17" wheel upgrade???

same problem i had. its pretty difficult to choose.

i would say go with the 17"s. looking and researching all these different threads, people have been saying that 18's look nice, but the 17's will definitely give you a smoother ride and better gas mileage. and they dont look too bad...

dougstoner 07-21-2009 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by iandi671 (Post 4422250)
same problem i had. its pretty difficult to choose.

i would say go with the 17"s. looking and researching all these different threads, people have been saying that 18's look nice, but the 17's will definitely give you a smoother ride and better gas mileage. and they dont look too bad...

I ended up going with 17's and 215 45 tires. They should arrive today. :D

kcari 07-21-2009 11:15 AM

the oem spare tire should be fine for a little bit- if ur worried about transmission issue replace the rear tire with the front and put the spare in the rear

dougstoner 07-22-2009 08:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by kcari (Post 4426106)
the oem spare tire should be fine for a little bit- if ur worried about transmission issue replace the rear tire with the front and put the spare in the rear

Yeah, I didn't think about that. Well, if I ever did get a flat, I would drive straight to a tire shop anyway. Here is a terrible phone shot of the wheels. I'm pretty stoked about them.

morphius88 08-04-2009 10:50 PM

those look very similar to my icw racing rims. but mine are black.

dougstoner 08-06-2009 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by morphius88 (Post 4428977)
those look very similar to my icw racing rims. but mine are black.

I love that look, so then yours must look nice too. What color is your car?