Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Wheels and Tires (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/189-wheels-tires)
-   -   New Tires CONFUSION??? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/189-wheels-tires/313151-new-tires-confusion.html)

Street Kings 12-15-2008 08:23 PM

New Tires CONFUSION???

I need new tires, I need to know which ones are better for the longer run in terms of Rain/Cold/Moist weather. I live in Texas. My car is not lowered on anything nor I wish to in the future. I use my civic a little rough since my work is 30 miles away in heavy traffic.

I need to know if these tires will be good for Hwy driving mainly, And Please DO NOT suggest any other brands, these are in my budget therefore I have to stick with them, but having hard time choosing the right size.

So Which will be better?

205/40HR17 Nexen N5000 All Season Tires

215/45HR17 Nexen N5000 All Season Tires

225/45HR17 Nexen N5000 All Season Tires

Currently I have the OEM Wheels, 15" with 195/60-15 on a 2005 Civic LX Sedan so Im getting 17" Rims with Tires.

Anyone else with Nexen N5000 can leave their review on quality. Thanx

Street Kings 12-16-2008 04:11 PM

Re: New Tires CONFUSION???

32 Views and No Answer :_doh:

9thgencorolla 12-16-2008 09:03 PM

I would go with the 205 bacuse the others may be to wide and rub on the fender well or strut!!

DeX 12-17-2008 09:57 AM

I have the 215/35/18 Nexxen N7000, are you sure the N5000 are all season? I know the N3000 are only spring/summer/fall and not winter.

Either way, I see nowhere in your post where you're concerned with odometer/speedometer calibration, do you normally slap parts on your car without considering the consequences? Get a tire calculator to figure out which size you should get and then check to see which tire fits best on that rim.

Street Kings 12-17-2008 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by DeX (Post 4371465)
I have the 215/35/18 Nexxen N7000, are you sure the N5000 are all season? I know the N3000 are only spring/summer/fall and not winter.

Either way, I see nowhere in your post where you're concerned with odometer/speedometer calibration, do you normally slap parts on your car without considering the consequences? Get a tire calculator to figure out which size you should get and then check to see which tire fits best on that rim.

Yes they are All Season Tires.

I'm not going to "slap" on tires by myself, it will be mounted and balanced before I purchase the package. And afterwards will be taken to discount tire shop to have it placed in correctly. Speedometer is not linked with tires, it mainly has to do with Rotors and Rims, however they spin shows up on the speedometer.

I just needed to know if 215 will contradict with fenders? Or if they will be toggling when making U turns?

DeX 12-17-2008 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Street Kings (Post 4371470)
I'm not going to "slap" on tires by myself, it will be mounted and balanced before I purchase the package. And afterwards will be taken to discount tire shop to have it placed in correctly. Speedometer is not linked with tires, it mainly has to do with Rotors and Rims, however they spin shows up on the speedometer.

Not checking the proper size calibration for your vehicle is considered slapping them on. And are you sure the speedometer is not linked with the tires? If you drive on a 13 inch wheel and your rim makes one complete revolution, you go a distance we'll note as X. If you drive on a 24 inch wheel and your rim makes one complete rotation, the distance you travel is going to be more than X, therefore the size of tire (45/40) will have an impact on the incorrect readout of both your speedometer and your odometer. If you choose to go with an incorrect tire size, don't:
a) come crying here when you get a speeding ticket saying it wasn't your fault.
b) try to sell your vehicle with 100,000 kilometers when it actually has 115,000 kilometers. Tell the next buyer you don't know how to measure tires properly and therefore the odometer is inaccurate.

Originally Posted by Street Kings (Post 4371470)
I just needed to know if 215 will contradict with fenders? Or if they will be toggling when making U turns?

I have 215 tires and make U-turns, you're fine. Just make sure you have your wheels properly aligned and get a camber kit if you need it....but you shouldn't.

I'm not usually this mean to people but I really hate it when someone throws parts on their car whichever price/size/colour/year/brand they can fit and then complain about getting hassled by cops (see multiple **** cops threads) when they find out they're stupid and should have planned better.

There is a tire calculator on this forum (I think) or there are multiple on Google. For reference, I had 195/70/14 on my car I think and now I have 215/35/18 and they barely fit without rubbing. Please find out which size tire is best for your car.

99WhiteJDM 12-17-2008 11:54 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong but, it does have to do with the actual tire height right? Last I checked you could put chalk on one side of the tire and put chalk on the other side, roll and measure the distance or you could simply check for correct pressure then, tape measure from top to bottom.

Just for example- If a 13" rim with a 185/70 tire was the same height as a 17" rim with a 205/40 tire then, nothing would need to be changed right? If the 17" rim was taller or shorter then, it would need to be calibrated?

DeX 12-17-2008 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by 99WhiteJDM (Post 4371497)
Correct me if I'm wrong but, it does have to do with the actual tire height right? Last I checked you could put chalk on one side of the tire and put chalk on the other side, roll and measure the distance or you could simply check for correct pressure then, tape measure from top to bottom.

Just for example- If a 13" rim with a 185/70 tire was the same height as a 17" rim with a 205/40 tire then, nothing would need to be changed right? If the 17" rim was taller or shorter then, it would need to be calibrated?

Correct. I changed from a 14 inch rim to an 18 inch rim but kept the same rolling diameter. I didn't have to change anything, I made sure of that when I was selecting tires. Usually the guy who's placing the order for you (if you deal with a shop) will be able to tell you which size tires are recommended for you.

keepItJDM 12-18-2008 05:51 PM

I ran 205/40/17 Nexxen N5000, great tire for the price