Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Wheels and Tires (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/189-wheels-tires)
-   -   BRAKES SCRATCHY...pissing me off (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/189-wheels-tires/305027-brakes-scratchy-pissing-me-off.html)

sl33pyriceboi 02-28-2008 12:22 AM

BRAKES SCRATCHY...pissing me off

alright....

so about 4weeks ago, i changed my brake pads and rotors.

new HAWKs plus pads
new brembo blank rotors.

this is NOT my first time install rotors/pads (actually my 4th time) so i pretty much know what im doing.

this is what i did:
took old pad out
took old rotor out
cleaned everything with BRAKE CLEANER
installed new brambo blanks
GREASED THE SHIT out of the pads
installed pads
bleed the brakes, according to ABS

now, i did that for both sides, and made sure all teh bolts and nuts are tight...

take it for a drive and even did the rotor/pad break in.

a week later i start hearing scratchy noise on my front passenger side when i brake, and when i slow down to bout 5mph, it starts squeeking.

so i take apart my passenger side again and reclean everything and regreased everything...

...AND ITS STILL SCRATCHY!!!!!!!!!

ANY FRIGGIN IDEAS?!?!?!?

the only thing i THINK that i could hve done wrong is:

1. on the passenger side, i only put in one screw that holds the rotor in. but this shouldnt matter cuz those screws are not important.

2. there are 3 shims. 2 on the inner pad and 1 on the outer pad.

i might have switched the two on the inside? cuz one is suppose to go on top of the other...and mabee i got it mixed up?

help help help....going krazy...:screwy::screwy::screwy::screwy::help::hel p::help::help:

sl33pyriceboi 02-28-2008 01:45 AM

Re: BRAKES SCRATCHY...pissing me off

bumppppppppper

gearbox 02-28-2008 09:15 AM

yeah mine are still doing it, but it seems to be getting less the more i use the brakes. mine also scratch when i turn (without pressing brake). i think its the brembo rotors that suck. never had this problem with oem. also i noticed the brembos rust up alot so maybe thats what it is, the rust rubbing against moving parts. the oems had a pretty good coating on them to prevent rust.

sl33pyriceboi 02-28-2008 04:31 PM

freaking a..... what pads r u runnin oN?

sl33pyriceboi 02-28-2008 04:32 PM

and is it THAT noticable? cuz mine sure hell is.....

gearbox 02-28-2008 10:18 PM

VERY noticable. it sounds like after it rains and there is a big layer of rust on the rotor, and you use the brake the first few time and hear that noise, except it does that all the time even turning without using brake. OEM pads.

inthezoneac 03-13-2008 08:03 PM

I have 135k miles on my car, stock rotors. I've never had the scratch problem, but maybe it has to do with the pads. I use autozone duralast pads.

inthezoneac 03-13-2008 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by gearbox (Post 4292500)
VERY noticable. it sounds like after it rains and there is a big layer of rust on the rotor, and you use the brake the first few time and hear that noise, except it does that all the time even turning without using brake. OEM pads.

maybe something with the axle, something with suspension.

gearbox 03-14-2008 08:27 AM

i wouldnt be surprised, i need 500+ of suspension repairs lol

civicsclass 03-16-2008 12:26 PM

Brakes are some of the worst rated for these cars when I was looking at buying my '97 LX. A very good mechanic told me that unless you use organic (asbetos) pads they will glaze and wear unevenly. I have put new calipers (stock) and deglazed the rotors twice since I bought the car and the scratch shows up again. This time I put organics on and I'll see if the scratch reappears. I was thinking that the master might be unevenly sending pressure to the fronts versus the backs but I dont have grab or pull under heavy braking so if the organics fix this problem I'll repost the results.

gearbox 03-16-2008 08:25 PM

i find that you really gotta beat on the brakes when they dont perform well. then they go back to normal once the glaze goes away. like after several 30-40mph quick stops, they grab much better. but def not the greatest out there.