Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Wheels and Tires (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/189-wheels-tires)
-   -   Brake pedal goes to floor (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/189-wheels-tires/294823-brake-pedal-goes-floor.html)

HondaJohn 05-16-2007 10:55 PM

Brake pedal goes to floor

I have a 89 Civic LX sedan and brake pedal goes to the floor...It did it once last year (Last summer) then back to full pressure...Then did it again 3 months ago then back to full pressure...Changed the fluid and installed Speed Bleeders and back at full pressure and I thought it was fixed (Bad fluid so I thought)! And now it back to going to the floor and it's not build any pressure even if you pump brakes (So now no brakes)...No fluid leak (reservor still full) sprayed soapy water on all vacuum hoses and no leaks...Anybody else have same problem and how was it fixed? I'm thinking booster?...I did a forum search but came up empty...Thanks for any help...

John...

speedfoos 05-17-2007 03:26 AM

Re: Brake pedal goes to floor

1989 Civic or or 1998 Civic? Sounds like a your master cylinder has gone tits up. The hydraulic pusher (if you will) is moving but the seals are probably blown which is why there is no pressure in the braking system.

HondaJohn 05-17-2007 05:21 AM

It's a 1989 Civic LX Sedan

bakertime 05-17-2007 06:46 AM

Could be the booster also.

HondaJohn 05-17-2007 06:15 PM

There is no leaks anywhere...Everything is dry from MC all the way to both drum brakes...I'll get a new MC and install it this weekend and let you all know what comes of it......If anybody else has a comment please do reply...I'll keep coming back to this thread and checking till I install new MC...Thanks everyone for your input...

John...

Ps. How long does a MC supposed to last? This civic only has 110K on the clock...It only had 87K when I bought it 3 years ago...

speedfoos 05-17-2007 06:32 PM

Well, it is almost 20 years old. The seals inside that MC were probably feeling their age and just gave up. At this point its probably not a question of mileage, but rather age.

HondaJohn 05-17-2007 09:38 PM

Well I don't know about the age factor...It was owned by a person who passed away in chicago...If you know Chicago they use there brakes alot...I should know I drive a semi from Lafayette IN to Chicago almost every day...MC just got used up I think...It had a hard brake life for 87k till I got it...Wish me luck...This is my 3rd civic had a 87 civic standard (No frills) and a 88 CRX and now I have the sedan...I love Honda's and toy trucks...I won't ever own American built cars or trucks...My other vehicle is a 84 toy 4x4 xtra cab pickup with 110k on the clock...

HondaJohn 05-21-2007 03:29 PM

I would like to know a great after market MC besides an MC from dealership...Found some MC online I can order, but different companies...Let me know what is a great one...Thanks...

John...

Ps. Or one at a local parts store...A parts store that is found all over country...And what you paid for it...Thanks again...