Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Wheels and Tires (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/189-wheels-tires)
-   -   big brake kit question (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/189-wheels-tires/291237-big-brake-kit-question.html)

xDCx 03-04-2007 02:37 PM

big brake kit question

i'll be looking to upgrade stopping power after gettin 19" wheels. whats the best brake kit out there, budget is $800 if anyone has some insight let me know...I like the wilwood for the price. would like to find a deal (new/used)since i'll be droppin nearly $3k total by summertime and get as much done as i can before i move to my new apt

anyone with experience or with 19" and a big brake kit or anybody with a kit for sale let me know please thanks

Zzyzx 03-09-2007 01:50 PM

Improve stopping power as in what? Shorter 60-0 Distances or are you running in to brake fade (as in you need higher thermal capacity)?

texascivic2k1 03-09-2007 02:59 PM

If you do do your research on the BIG brake kit with the 7thgen civic you will find out that the BBK is not needed. Here are some articles that Zzyzx gave me to read before I got my Wilwoods. Click on the links in the quote below...

Originally Posted by Zzyzx (Post 3498324)

Tires are the key to stopping the car better/quicker. Yeah upgrading pads, rotors, stainless steel lines, and brake fluid may help a little too. IMO the bbk's fills in the larger wheels and look awesome!

A member named "rijowysock" has had 19" wheels with the Wilwood application. You can PM him with any questions or if he had any problems. Also Zzyzx and Boilermaker are pretty much the experts to go to. Right know I have 18"'s but this summer (if everything goes right) I will have 19"'s and then I’ll be in the same set up as you maybe.

xDCx 03-10-2007 06:37 AM

thanks for the info, i'll take a look into that, im buying 19" Racinghart C4 from rijowysock I bought a couple items from him before. (now after reading) i feel more comfortable buying them knowing bbk can come later.

still if anybody knows bbk for sale PM me please

speedfoos 03-10-2007 01:19 PM

Wow. Good info. Makes me think twice now before dropping 600 bones on that Wilwood kit from Summit. +1 for you man!

Too bad the folks that wrote the articles (STOPTECH) don't make a BBK for the 7th gen. Bastards....

texascivic2k1 03-11-2007 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by CivicRidaz1 (Post 4157556)
thanks for the info, i'll take a look into that, im buying 19" Racinghart C4 from rijowysock I bought a couple items from him before. (now after reading) i feel more comfortable buying them knowing bbk can come later.

still if anybody knows bbk for sale PM me please

I'm glad someone finally took up on that awesome sale of his. I was tempted to buy them but I want colored wheels instead of the traditional silver. But if my car wasn't black I would have jump on those in a heartbeat! Take pics when you get them. Good Luck bro!

speedfoos 01-23-2008 01:42 PM

Re: big brake kit question

Because it's worth a bump for those folks thinking about a BBK.

Eyger 02-05-2008 12:37 AM

Re: big brake kit question

Wow, I was completely convinced that I should get a big brake kit till I read those articles.

So then what do you do for better stopping power? Aftermarket, OEM sized rotors? Aftermarket pads? Brake lines? Now, getting upgraded brakes doesn't seem so far away.