Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   General 7th Gen (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/186-general-7th-gen)
-   -   Refreshing my high mileage D17 (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/186-general-7th-gen/373559-refreshing-my-high-mileage-d17.html)

03_EM2 06-14-2018 12:39 PM

Refreshing my high mileage D17

Ok so I’m thinking about the idea of pulling my engine and giving it a little love to bring some life back into it. I know Honda’s can go for 300k+ just how it came from factory (if maintained properly) but after all the problems it’s developed I just wanna pull it and change out most of the factory parts. I’m fine with going back with genuine OEM parts and keeping it at the stock parameters but what would you guys recommend as far as what are the vital parts to replace? Of course gaskets would be one of the first on the lists.. Also while it’s apart I’m considering throwing in a Crower Stage 1 cam just for the slight gain. Replace hoses, wires, check harnesses? Also will be giving the whole engine a good cleaning to clean out any carbon buildup. Any thoughts, ideas, recommendations and info are appreciated.

Wankenstein 06-14-2018 02:39 PM

Re: Refreshing my high mileage D17

Originally Posted by 03_EM2 (Post 4746437)
I know Honda’s can go for 300k+ just how it came from factory (if maintained properly)

There's no guarantee/warranty on that mileage..lol

but after all the problems it’s developed I just wanna pull it and change out most of the factory parts.

Please provide a history of the issues that has you considering a partial or full overhaul.

I’m fine with going back with genuine OEM parts and keeping it at the stock parameters but what would you guys recommend as far as what are the vital parts to replace?

Depends on what issues it currently experiencing, how much you want to have it overhauled: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_tuning (scroll down to overhaul section), and how much money you're willing to spend.
Use OEM parts as much as possible (if available).

Of course gaskets would be one of the first on the lists.. Also while it’s apart I’m considering throwing in a Crower Stage 1 cam just for the slight gain. Replace hoses, wires, check harnesses? Also will be giving the whole engine a good cleaning to clean out any carbon buildup. Any thoughts, ideas, recommendations and info are appreciated.

How many miles on the engine presently? Any oil leaks, coolant leaks, CEL's?, misfires, knocking, burning oil, etc..

03_EM2 06-14-2018 03:27 PM

Engine currently has 276,650 miles and counting since i drive it quite often. Has CEL light on for codes P0340, P0341, P0401, P1259, and one more but I can’t find the picture of it to remember. I’ve asked on other threads about the issues and most seem simple to fix or could just be simple electrical issues. I don’t know the entire history of the motor, but based of the looks and driving habits I seen from the guy I bought it from I doubt he took good care of it. It has a ticking coming from somewhere in the head, a oil leak from somewhere that I still haven’t found although I know it’s leaking from the oil pan or the drain bolt but that’s not the only place I see oil at. I plan on keeping this car for a while and eventually plan on fixing the small body issues so I want to make sure the motor is gonna last long enough without problems so I can have the money to throw at the body. Of course I could always just fix whatever codes are being thrown and invest in the bodywork instead but....that’s not the case here.

Wankenstein 06-14-2018 09:22 PM

When did you acquire this car and what was the price?

ezone 06-14-2018 11:30 PM

Instead of rebuild, maybe
Drop in a low mileage used engine

With a fresh head gasket and timing belt

Cost might be the same or less depending on how cheap you get an engine for

03_EM2 06-15-2018 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Megalodong (Post 4746469)
When did you acquire this car and what was the price?

Got her about 4-5 months ago and I paid 1,800. Had the CEL on when I bought it but it was only for the EGR insufficient flow.

03_EM2 06-15-2018 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4746473)
Instead of rebuild, maybe
Drop in a low mileage used engine

With a fresh head gasket and timing belt

Cost might be the same or less depending on how cheap you get an engine for

I was also considering this idea, I’ve looked around thru google search and found a few A2’s for ~$500-$650 but I mostly come across the JDM D17A and I thought I read something about how the wiring would need changing. Not really sure what the thread said anymore though. Did find somewhere local that has some engines but he said all of his were automatic, would this work? What would need to be swapped/modified? If anything?

ezone 06-15-2018 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by 03_EM2 (Post 4746476)

I was also considering this idea, I’ve looked around thru google search and found a few A2’s for ~$500-$650 but I mostly come across the JDM D17A and I thought I read something about how the wiring would need changing.

Read more. Most only need the pressure switch on the VTEC valve transferred to make the D17A2 ECM happy.

but he said all of his were automatic, would this work? What would need to be swapped/modified? If anything?
It will work, swap the flywheel and pilot bearing over.

You're only buying the block and head of the engine, anything else that doesn't need swapped over in the process is a bonus.

03_EM2 06-15-2018 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4746477)
Read more. Most only need the pressure switch on the VTEC valve transferred to make the D17A2 ECM happy.

It will work, swap the flywheel and pilot bearing over.

You're only buying the block and head of the engine, anything else that doesn't need swapped over in the process is a bonus.

Sweet so the JDM D17 wouldn’t be hard to swap in at all from what you’re saying. The local guy I talked to is most likely selling the whole engine (harnesses, pumps, literally the whole swap)

03_EM2 06-15-2018 09:33 AM

Kindve off topic from my question on this thread but is this attached image the correct intake gasket? https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.civ...2e1cd9b285.png

ezone 06-15-2018 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by 03_EM2 (Post 4746480)
Kindve off topic from my question on this thread but is this attached image the correct intake gasket?

Depends on what your original engine had (equipped with EGR or not) and if the big parts that include it have to be transferred to the new engine.

Remember, you are only buying a block and head. Anything else that doesn't match your original has to be transferred. Anything that does match MIGHT be usable as you receive it, but you probably won't find out how good it is until you can run and drive it.

D17VTECPOWER 06-15-2018 03:48 PM

Hold on. What problem are you having exactly? Just oil leaks and ticking? Maybe check your valve adjustment for the ticking? I wouldn't do anything major unless you have a reason to, like low compression, burning oil or knocking. None of those codes you have are even related to an internal engine issue, so I don't see your logic. Mileage alone isn't a reason to replace the engine.

Wankenstein 06-16-2018 08:31 AM

Has the ECU and/or harness been ruled out as part of or direct cause of the issue?

03_EM2 06-21-2018 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Megalodong (Post 4746496)
Has the ECU and/or harness been ruled out as part of or direct cause of the issue?

Haven’t even bothered to check yet. Probably should’ve tried checking the wiring on everything first but I ordered replacement parts instead to see if it’s a mechanical issue. Say there’s a bad harness or bad terminals in a connector, what do I do as far as replacing? Where can I find these harnesses at? (VTEC solenoid, Cam sensor, etc) Would cleaning up the terminals with some sort of electrical cleaner possibly help? I know there’s no real way to just guess what could be bad in the wiring without checking voltage throughout and i know this’ll sound dumb but I’d rather changeout parts and clean terminals before I go checking voltage on everything and start replacing harnesses and connectors.

03_EM2 06-21-2018 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER (Post 4746487)
Hold on. What problem are you having exactly? Just oil leaks and ticking? Maybe check your valve adjustment for the ticking? I wouldn't do anything major unless you have a reason to, like low compression, burning oil or knocking. None of those codes you have are even related to an internal engine issue, so I don't see your logic. Mileage alone isn't a reason to replace the engine.

Haven’t checked compression yet. Has more of a knock rather than a ticking. Does burn a little oil. I wouldn’t doubt the valves could use an adjustment though.

D17VTECPOWER 06-21-2018 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by 03_EM2 (Post 4746761)

Haven’t checked compression yet. Has more of a knock rather than a ticking. Does burn a little oil. I wouldn’t doubt the valves could use an adjustment though.

If it has an internal noise and it's not the valve adjustment, it's not worth fixing IMO. You would be better off installing a low mileage used engine. The D17 is a very common and inexpensive engine, so I'd replace it. As a bonus, you'd have a parts engine loaded with good parts.

03_EM2 06-21-2018 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER (Post 4746785)
If it has an internal noise and it's not the valve adjustment, it's not worth fixing IMO. You would be better off installing a low mileage used engine. The D17 is a very common and inexpensive engine, so I'd replace it. As a bonus, you'd have a parts engine loaded with good parts.

Really been considering this option, just wanna see if I can maybe keep this engine alive for a lil longer. New parts come in the mail tomorrow so we’ll see what happens.