Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   1st - 5th Generation Civic 1973 - 1995 (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/184-1st-5th-generation-civic-1973-1995)
-   -   1993 DX HB tear down and rebuild? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/184-1st-5th-generation-civic-1973-1995/374045-1993-dx-hb-tear-down-rebuild.html)

93DXhatchGifted 08-12-2018 01:21 PM

1993 DX HB tear down and rebuild?

just joined forum! Recently was gifted a 93 DX hatchback. It runs well and has been very well maintained. completely stock.

I’ve been looking for a project car and this opportunity seems interesting. I’m willing to put some $ into this to make it a sweet ride...drivetrain, concert from auto to manual?, suspension, brakes, wheels tires/paint/wrap, interior. I want a modernized, quick, reliable, special looking car when complete.

Is this car worth it? What’s the range of what this may cost? I’m not a DIY and I don’t need a 10 or 12 sec car.

RobertD 08-12-2018 01:37 PM

Re: 1993 DX HB tear down and rebuild?

i would opt to start with a manual trans instead of dealing with getting the trans, mount, flywheel, clutch, pedal assembly, the linkage, associated wiring for lights and safety switch, the shifter, it's linkage, the interior trim, etc. it's a lot of work and wasted money that is avoidable by buying a manual to begin with. automatic cars usually have a higher resale value so if you could do a minimum amount of repairs, sell it, and buy a stick car, you'd be light years ahead.

i see you're 44, i'm 38. i'd have done that swap in my teens or early 20's but now that i'm older/lazier/wiser with less disposable money and less free time, i'd be all for skipping the extra work and costs.

RobertD 08-12-2018 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by 93DXhatchGifted (Post 4749522)
just joined forum! Recently was gifted a 93 DX hatchback. It runs well and has been very well maintained. completely stock.

welcome to the forum. it sounds like you have a good reliable car that just needed a driver. i'd keep it as is.

Originally Posted by 93DXhatchGifted (Post 4749522)
What’s the range of what this may cost? I’m not a DIY

around here just the trans swap would exceed the value of the car if you are not DIY. an actual shop is usually $100/hr+ for custom work

i would just enjoy the car find a different platform to sink money into.

93DXhatchGifted 08-12-2018 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by RobertD (Post 4749523)
i would opt to start with a manual trans instead of dealing with getting the trans, mount, flywheel, clutch, pedal assembly, the linkage, associated wiring for lights and safety switch, the shifter, it's linkage, the interior trim, etc. it's a lot of work and wasted money that is avoidable by buying a manual to begin with. automatic cars usually have a higher resale value so if you could do a minimum amount of repairs, sell it, and buy a stick car, you'd be light years ahead.

i see you're 44, i'm 38. i'd have done that swap in my teens or early 20's but now that i'm older/lazier/wiser with less disposable money and less free time, i'd be all for skipping the extra work and costs.

what if I keep it automatic? Worth the upgrade in engine?

93DXhatchGifted 08-12-2018 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by RobertD (Post 4749524)
welcome to the forum. it sounds like you have a good reliable car that just needed a driver. i'd keep it as is.

around here just the trans swap would exceed the value of the car if you are not DIY. an actual shop is usually $100/hr+ for custom work

i would just enjoy the car find a different platform to sink money into.

is this his car anything special to the civic tuner scene? Curious whether it’s in demand or not.

RobertD 08-12-2018 05:20 PM

in my opinion, the best thing that car has going for it is the fact it has not been butchered by children thinking it should be a racecar. i tried for a while to find a 90-91 hatchback si that was still stock, and i gave up. they've all been ruined or priced comically high

you could buy a tuner scene civic for a small fraction of what you would waste paying a shop to build you one, and then just make appearance changes and small mods here and there. this route would save you a fortune and buying a car finished and making changes will get you more respect at car shows than being the guy there that paid a shop to build his car from the ground up.

but just my opinion

RobertD 08-12-2018 05:40 PM

if i wanted a civic with an engine swap, i'd probably find one like this with such a motivated seller: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-Honda-...pbb4o5&vxp=mtr