Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   1st - 5th Generation Civic 1973 - 1995 (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/184-1st-5th-generation-civic-1973-1995)
-   -   Need help solving a bucking/jerking feeling when accelerating (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/184-1st-5th-generation-civic-1973-1995/348720-need-help-solving-bucking-jerking-feeling-when-accelerating.html)

bk7794 05-04-2012 05:10 PM

Need help solving a bucking/jerking feeling when accelerating

This only happens lower in the rev range. I don't have a tach so I am guessing from 1500-3k rpm it could happen to. Generally while higher in the rpm range the car runs pretty good, and sometimes I can go a whole day without this jerking feeling.

For a while I was getting this jerky feeling while the car was going up a hill and recently while traveling up a parkway in my state I was getting severe jerking and occasional misses here and there. Keep in mind a parkway has a lot of steep hills.

Now it does not only happen on hills, it also happens while accelerating, but it is seen it mostly jerks on hills almost 95% of the time. The idle is a bit rough sometimes.

Now I have essentially a brand new electrical system because I just did a tune up a year or so ago because I went over 100k on the car without doing much to it. So a new distributor, cap, rotor, wires, and plugs. Today I took all those out and inspected them and they look alright. I also did a fuel filter today because I was overdue on that aswell. One thing that has not been replaced was an o2 sensor. I was looking online and it describes the feelings I have been having. Do you think that could be the problem? I did test it and there was like .08 volts coming out of it. And no CEL came on when it was unplugged.

No CELs and No vacuum leaks and the car is a 1991 Honda civic 1.5 DX. 5 speed of course and 294k on the odometer. I get this while accelerating on all gears and the car has recently been feeling powerless.

dcshoe40 05-13-2012 04:14 PM

Re: Need help solving a bucking/jerking feeling when accelerating

Does it go away after driving it for a bit? Also does it happen when you let your car sit for a long time or if you stop for a bit and then get back in to go?

bk7794 05-26-2012 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by dcshoe40 (Post 4601927)
Does it go away after driving it for a bit? Also does it happen when you let your car sit for a long time or if you stop for a bit and then get back in to go?

No, its a complete intermittent thing. Its something in the suspension because I hit a bump a while ago and this is when it started doing this. It is whenever I am driving 62mph where this problem really comes out aswell as in second gear accelerating. Before I hit the bump I Would get wicked wheel shake at 62mph.

94civicd16z6 05-27-2012 11:29 PM

maybe you have a bad plug wire even tho they look good. my girls old car was doing the exact same thing as you described with the hills etc. i checked the wires (camry 4 banger) they looked good, just old. changed them and spark plugs next day, not a problem since. i would change the plugs, make sure they're tight, and do the wires. maybe hitting the bump loosened a plug? i really don't get what you mean by saying "it's something in the suspension"? is your car missing and jerking like losing power uphill? if so do as i said above. if it's something in the underbody, go to a shop and get a free estimate.

TrikzLane 05-30-2012 10:36 AM

Well, the 2nd gear issue is common, the way to solve that is either give it more gas or put in the clutch (I believe it's either a pilot issue or a synchro issue), but I have no idea about the 62 mph jerking.