Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   1st - 5th Generation Civic 1973 - 1995 (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/184-1st-5th-generation-civic-1973-1995)
-   -   Overheating issue (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/184-1st-5th-generation-civic-1973-1995/359912-overheating-issue.html)

zemerin 05-20-2014 07:35 AM

Overheating issue

A while ago my car a couple of times would overheat after an extended period of driving (like an hour give or take). Normally I don't drive this long on a daily basis.

Now the issue seems to be a little more persistent. Putting the heat on full blast normally buys me time until I get home (normally; tonight when I was coming home from a friends house the car started to overheat it didnt help too much). I checked my fan and it seemed to be working fine, so I crossed that out of the possibility of issues, even though if I drive fast enough the car cools down a little.

I don't notice any coolant leaks but I do notice I have to keep filling it up every once in a while. My guess is that its either a thermostat (which I doubt) or the radiator is almost done for (leaning towards this). I doubt its the water pump but I'm willing to guess anything at this point.

Any suggestions? Car is a 1.6 honda civic.

GolNat 05-20-2014 11:52 AM

Re: Overheating issue

When you fill the coolant up does the car still overheat?

It's going somewhere, either from leaking out or burning (head gasket).

zemerin 05-20-2014 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by GolNat (Post 4664304)

At around 7 yesterday when I stopped the car after it overheated I topped it off, let the car cool for around 2-3 hours. As I was driving home about 20 minutes later it started to overheat again. So the answer to that question would be yes sir.

I drove it today for like 10 minutes it seemed fine, even though when I looked at my rad it wasnt exactly full. My reservoir is always full though.

zemerin 05-20-2014 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by GolNat (Post 4664304)

At around 7 yesterday when I stopped the car after it overheated I topped it off, let the car cool for around 2-3 hours. As I was driving home about 20 minutes later it started to overheat again. So the answer to that question would be yes sir.

I drove it today for like 10 minutes it seemed fine, even though when I looked at my rad it wasnt exactly full. My reservoir is always full though.

GolNat 05-20-2014 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by zemerin (Post 4664311)
My reservoir is always full though.

Head gasket!

PhillySpeeds 06-11-2014 08:30 PM

My Coolant will never stay put.. my water pump and thermo are totally fine but i've got a lot of work to do

Rhonda1 08-10-2014 08:16 PM

Pull your oil dipstick and look for white mucus film. This will indicate head gasket issue. Check for exhaust smoke as well. Another thing you can check for is a old coolant hose which could be collapsing and causing all the coolant to overflow and spill out while driving. I would fill the car up to level on coolant and park it somewhere. Take some cardboard that is clean and slide it under the engine. Start the car and run it till the coolant fan comes on (maybe 30min). Inspect for leaks. Hope this helps.