Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   1st - 5th Generation Civic 1973 - 1995 (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/184-1st-5th-generation-civic-1973-1995)
-   -   no spark, need help fast!! (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/184-1st-5th-generation-civic-1973-1995/332309-no-spark-need-help-fast.html)

1991civichbsi 10-04-2010 05:40 AM

no spark, need help fast!!

Let's put on our thinking caps.....

1991 civic hb si
1.5L
stock w/ 196,000

Alright friends,

Car was has been running fine up til just a bit ago. pulled it into the garage to change the carpet out, everything went fine, until i tried to start it....won't start. It cranks over, but will not fire. No spark!!!

Now about two months ago i changed out the head gasket, water pump, timing belt, dist. cap and rotor, plugs, and wires. Gave it the usual tune up. Everything running fine, a little sluggish and my gas mileage went down quite a bit, so kinda chalked it up to my timing. Was getting to that, then the car just stopped firing. Pulled the plugs, and they do seem to be fouled by oil, but would that stop the spark from shooting down the wires?

It seems like i looked at everything that might be a suspect. Changed out the coil, had the ignitor tested..good. Main relay seems to be working...clicks three times when in the different key spots, fuel pump primes, check engine light comes on for a few then goes out....so seems like everything is good. no blown fuses... so i'm totoally lost now.

Hopefully you guys can help me out with some suggestions. Any would be appreciated. Need to get it fired up asap. My only mode of transportation.

Thanks a million

95EX 10-04-2010 01:45 PM

Re: no spark, need help fast!!

you asked about fouled plugs...by all means this would not let the car run. clean them really good and try.

Just to cover all aspects take off the dist. cover and crank it to make sure the dist. is turning. check the contacts inside and make sure they arent burnt.

1991civichbsi 10-04-2010 02:21 PM

dist. is turning. still nothing. cleaned plugs. but nothing. just going back to the beginning. anything is possible, but with all the test ive been running and everything checking out, is it possible that the cap is bad along with wires? it would be my luck that something simple like this would be the problem. i guess i will just go buy new ones and see if that is the problem. if so, i'm boycotting autozone for selling crap!

95EX 10-04-2010 09:46 PM

take out the plugs and crank to see if theres spark....

if so then 1 of 3 things is good

check from the filter to the TB and check for obstructions or anything...

if nothing then 2 of 3 things is good

only thing left is fuel

did you touch any fuel parts? have yoy changed the filter lately? maybe the pump took a dump?

phil_89 10-07-2010 10:59 PM

check ur ecu....

1991civichbsi 10-08-2010 11:41 PM

thanks for your guy's advice. checked everything you suggested, and it ended up being a bad main relay. everything seemed to be working when i checked it the first time, cel light, pump, the clicking noises. but i decided to resolder it anyway, and it fired up first shot. reset my timing, was off just a bit, and shazam, it's running again. thanks for everything.