Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   1st - 5th Generation Civic 1973 - 1995 (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/184-1st-5th-generation-civic-1973-1995)
-   -   Help! '95 Civic LX Head Gasket - Any Successes??? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/184-1st-5th-generation-civic-1973-1995/331995-help-95-civic-lx-head-gasket-any-successes.html)

mckelj 09-19-2010 08:14 PM

Help! '95 Civic LX Head Gasket - Any Successes???

I recently, and stupidly, bought a '95 Civic LX for my daughter with 211K miles KNOWING it had a head gasket issue ($$$ was an issue for her). Head gasket replacement quoted by a shop was far more than expected, and thus ruled out. Now faced with question of what to do with the car. Did some research and I'd try repair myself (as the car was very obviously well maintained till this) if I could find evidence on the net of ANYONE ever doing a successful job of it. Because I realize no one can definitely say whether damage can be fixed by replacing the gasket (+water pump, + thermostat) whether there is additional ruin to the heads or block, I'm just looking for a more educated guess than mine based on the car's symptoms.

The first time I started the car, did so easily. Sounded like there was some metallic engine noise in the first few seconds, but then smoothed out and sounded great, and only ran it for a minute or so. Second time, same. At that point, I noted that the radiator was very low, if not dry and added about 2 gallons of water. Stupid, I know.

Subsequent starts were harder, and when started, the engine sounded muffled, as if it were under water. Checking, I pulled the oil dipstick. Though the level was right, it looked like thin latte. When I pulled the plugs, I was upset to find that #s 1 and 2 were literally dripping with a somewhat darker version of the latte, and #2 looked like had just been soaked in it. Needless to say that I did not try to start it again. I have drained the radiator and oil completely.

If someone more knowledgeable than myself could give an opinion on what to do with this car, it'd sure help. Again, the car's got 211K, engine is def a 1.5 d16b7, I've got $500 into it, and a max of $600 more I can spend. Verdict from folks I know is mixed between; a)sell as is to recoup my $$$, b) Bar's Leak and cross my fingers, pulling the worst plug to avoid pressurized radiator, c) attempt the gasket replacement, or d) pull the head off to remove further water and try to see if there's any additional damage, and then deciding. And, as a side note, I AM female, but somewhat mechanically inclined. I know I can grab a manual and read with the best of 'em, but would need help with such a repair. Opinions please!

02civicsi02 09-19-2010 08:25 PM

Re: Help! '95 Civic LX Head Gasket - Any Successes???

Seriously you can buy a d15b7 for dirt cheap and will be bout the same price of changing the head gasket. So you can do that or just replace the head gasket it. Its a easy process. To see if there are any internal problems then do a compression test and find out. If the compression turns out good then no major problems so after that just take the head off replace the gasket, head studs but it back together and do the timing.

Mad Dog Tannen 09-19-2010 11:06 PM

replacing the head gasket is a good day or two of work for someone who is experienced doing it. If you are a newb you can do it but it will take you time and the proper tools. You will probably want to replace the timing belt and water pump and tensioner also. If it over heated it would probably be a good idea to get the head decked at a machine shop. I personally would have a valve job done also becausse it has so many miles but it is not neccissary. Over all I think it would cost over 600 to do it yourself and to do it properly.

mckelj 09-19-2010 11:25 PM

Probably stupid question, but at what point do you suggest doing the compression test?

mckelj 09-19-2010 11:45 PM

Thought about swapping - most people vote that way rather than replace the h.g. - especially with as many miles as this one has. Although the cost would initially would probably be in the ball park, swapping one toasted D16b7 for possibly another (88-95 Civics had TSBs on the heads/head gaskets) doesn't sound that great, especially since finding out that you have to replace several other parts, including both front and rear seals, for anyone to warranty an engine.

Mad Dog Tannen 09-20-2010 12:17 AM

I always like to repair things myself, that way I know that I am using quality parts and not cutting any corners. If you swap you may get a lemon engine. But then again if you are a newb you could miss something just from inexperience. If you do do it yourself, then make sure you use a service manual, research it and take your time doing it right. Just my .02

zrock 09-20-2010 09:43 AM

me and my daughter did the same thing. in fact i taught her how to do the head gasket.. was a easy job well worth it

02civicsi02 09-20-2010 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by mckelj (Post 4489550)
Probably stupid question, but at what point do you suggest doing the compression test?

Do it before you change the head gasket. Do it before you buy the parts for the head gasket to so that if there is something wrong then you can either go get another motor and not have already payed for the stuff for the other motor.

phred 99 04-04-2015 02:09 PM

Yes. still dealing with burping the cooling system. Agree with pull the head - if damage replace motor. About 3-400 in rural midwest.