Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   1st - 5th Generation Civic 1973 - 1995 (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/184-1st-5th-generation-civic-1973-1995)
-   -   1991 Civic Won't Start....Help!!! (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/184-1st-5th-generation-civic-1973-1995/310632-1991-civic-wont-start-help.html)

Warmmushroom 09-22-2008 06:05 PM

1991 Civic Won't Start....Help!!!

I have a 91 civic hatchbach that wont start at all...this is all the info on the situation any help would be great. When I turn the key I can hear the fuel pump engage and a click from under the dash(it is defn' under the dash not the starter solenoid) and then nothing...before this happened I had no check engine light and no problems at all. The car sat for 2 months and when I went to start it this is when the problem started. I have checked the starter solenoid, if I jump the terminals the starter engages and the car starts no problem so not a starter issue. Checked the battery cables all good, battery is new and works fine, i have tested it and it will start my chevy V8 truck. The main realy and starter relay were tested and replaced for good measure. The clutch switch is also not the problem I even disconnected it and jumped the wires to by-pass it. Still no start. All other electrical works perfectly radio, lights etc. If i jump the starter and start the car it runs and drives perfectly just wont start with the key...I am almost out of ideas, could it be the ignition switch? If so shouldn't the rest of the electrical system not work?

dspeedcrazy02 10-04-2008 12:13 AM

Re: 1991 Civic Won't Start....Help!!!

do you have a aamco close by? we took my 91 dx there and they test 4 pretty much everything!

heretohelp 10-12-2008 10:51 PM

lol i regesterd just to tell you this

i had the same prob with my 5th gen. if its a 5spd its most likely your neutral safety switch i can tell you how to fix it just add my msn zaksonsythe@hotmail.com

soltero 11-24-2008 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by Warmmushroom (Post 4347317)
...could it be the ignition switch? If so shouldn't the rest of the electrical system not work?

It could in fact be the ignition switch. I had a similar problem and at first thought that it was being caused by a faulty fuel pump. Two different Honda mechanics (who both work at Honda dealerships) on justanswer.com recommneded checking the ignition switch. To make a long story short, a mechanic found that, once started, as long as he held the key at a slight up-angle, it would continue to run. Let go of it, and it would die every time. I changed out the ignition switch and it solved the problem. Hope this helps and let us know how it goes.

Btw, the part I used was this one from O'Reilly Auto Parts.

- soltero -

NitroTC3 03-06-2009 08:46 AM

There is also a round piece of small rubber that sits up in the arm of the clutch peddal. if this is missing because it could desintegrade the car would not start. this rubber pice is what engages the switch thats behind the clutch under the dash.
It cost 3 dollars to replace. The brake peddal has the same setup with the small rubber piece and a switch.