Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/183-6th-generation-civic-1996-2000)
-   -   my 98 ex build log in the worx (Pic heavy) (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/183-6th-generation-civic-1996-2000/365162-my-98-ex-build-log-worx-pic-heavy.html)

Dave Brabant 09-09-2015 12:25 PM

my 98 ex build log in the worx (Pic heavy)

5 Attachment(s)
So ive finally decided to build a civic. Got a dirt cheap 96 ex its dented and rusty but i love to make ugly old things look new and purty again. So far ive started un-denting it ive lowered it with skunk2 springs and some struts ive got a skunk2 camber kit installed but not cambered yet a 4-2-1 header/exhaust system but stock muffler :_doh: ive started cleaning out the engine bay and ive cleaned out the head.there will be plenty of updated during the rest of the summer. next step will be the body work

Dave Brabant 09-09-2015 12:44 PM

Re: my 98 ex build log in the worx (Pic heavy)

1 Attachment(s)
sanded and painted the vlave covver after removing grime from the head

Dave Brabant 09-09-2015 07:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got abit distracted and got into the inside while i was checking on my passenger side window malfunction and did some sexy work on my clauster.

if anyone could let me know how to make my pics bigger directly on post it would be appreciated

Dave Brabant 09-14-2015 10:03 PM

sorry i havnt updated much im going through all the little problems so i know exactly what im doing first off. there was a rotted through hole in the driviers side floor board , water is leaking in from the windshield ,exhaust squeels clamps need to be tightened there was a clunking in the rear passenger side brake , fuel and brake lines are rusted from mid to the back. and rear fenders need some work. So far thats what i have found in need of urgent care. Then i will be swapping the head for either a y8 or z6 vtec head. On a positive note The ecu is already chipped idk by who or what but its been opened and redlines after 8000 rpm. the trunk and rockers along with pretty much everything else is rust free.

To be done before build up list
passenger side E-window - Fixed I fixed my passenger side electric window by re-running wires to it as i could not find the break in the wires already leading to it and condemned the old ones.

floor board Drivers - Fixed bolted some steel sheet metal in and welded it up after removing as much rust as possible.

rear clunking brake- Fixed broken piece of shoe was the culprit

tie rod end Passenger side-done took a full 15 minutes to replace and took out all the slack in my stearing

cv joint passenger side-
brake n fuel lines-
squeeling exhaust-
windshield-
rear fenders-

Dave Brabant 09-15-2015 05:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Changed out my tierod ends today they were so loose i could almost pull the ball out of the rod XD now that thats over with i can move onto more important matters like the windshield and swapping that head over.

Mad Dog Tannen 09-15-2015 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Brabant (Post 4693377)
Changed out my tierod ends today they were so loose i could almost pull the ball out of the rod XD now that thats over with i can move onto more important matters like the windshield and swapping that head over.

Nice work.

You had better go and get it aligned if you haven't already.

Dave Brabant 09-15-2015 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mad Dog Tannen (Post 4693381)
Nice work.

You had better go and get it aligned if you haven't already.

na rod was the exact same size as the old one so i used my bosses(mechanic for 30 years) trick and used tire paint marker to mark off where to stop screwing in the tierod ends so the alignment should be the exact same as before.

Mad Dog Tannen 09-15-2015 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Brabant (Post 4693385)
na rod was the exact same size as the old one so i used my bosses(mechanic for 30 years) trick and used tire paint marker to mark off where to stop screwing in the tierod ends so the alignment should be the exact same as before.

"should be" ...said the guy with bad tire wear.

Dave Brabant 09-15-2015 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mad Dog Tannen (Post 4693386)
"should be" ...said the guy with bad tire wear.

haha yeah we will see tires are crap any way if i see it starts to wear out the tires un evenly ill have my boss do the alignment on it :rockon:

Genyc07 09-17-2015 06:13 PM

Yup it's ugly but... I'm glad you are working the mechanicals straight. Where's your temp needle? Ululated me junk yards will save you tons on parts. Keep it up I'm excited to see where this goes.

Dave Brabant 09-20-2015 08:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
well as i had my headlights off for the body work and to clear them up i decided to go green housing! i find it looks cool what do you guys think ?

I got my boss to check the alignment and he said it was perfect so i shouldnt question his tips and tricks anymore haha :/

Any one know how to make pictures bigger ? like forum sized ?

Dave Brabant 09-29-2015 06:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
well did the body on the other side todayneeded to replace the rear fender and decided to undent the front fender from the fender roll the last owner did . the paint cracked up so i had to sand and prime it too. now the only rust left on the car is inside the gas fill compartment. im not the best at body work but i enjoy it.

Mad Dog Tannen 09-30-2015 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Brabant (Post 4693746)
well as i had my headlights off for the body work and to clear them up i decided to go green housing! i find it looks cool what do you guys think ?

I got my boss to check the alignment and he said it was perfect so i shouldnt question his tips and tricks anymore haha :/

Any one know how to make pictures bigger ? like forum sized ?

Dang it's good to know that alignment trick worked. My cars usually need alignment by the time tie rods need replacing.

Dave Brabant 10-01-2015 12:24 AM

yeah it works great as long as you use the exact same tie rod end. Today my cars alternator stopped charging a good 30 miles from home so that was fun... ill be swapping that out tomorrow :( yippii

Dave Brabant 10-03-2015 08:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
got my mags installed sweet find

GolNat 10-03-2015 09:55 PM

Wheels look good!

Use an image hosting site like photo bucket to make pics bigger. Put IMG code pics into text fields.

Dave Brabant 10-04-2015 09:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 90576

Dave Brabant 10-04-2015 09:56 AM

ah sweet thanks golnat

Dave Brabant 10-06-2015 12:38 AM

well gor my water temp guage installed today nice to have piece of mind while driving again. also found a kill switch that was previously installed

Dave Brabant 10-06-2015 12:39 AM

http://s1257.photobucket.com/user/Da...50261.jpg.html

Dave Brabant 10-06-2015 12:44 AM

3 Attachment(s)
ahhh whats up with that? ^^^ click to see full size image i just wanted it to be in the forum. Anyways here it is Anyone know what the the module is for in the second picture?