Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/183-6th-generation-civic-1996-2000)
-   -   Wrecked it now fixing need rattle can advice (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/183-6th-generation-civic-1996-2000/363635-wrecked-now-fixing-need-rattle-can-advice.html)

usajags84 04-19-2015 09:54 PM

Wrecked it now fixing need rattle can advice

Whole lots rain a little hydroplane = whole lotta shakin going on

We have had a whole lot of rain down here and my idea of celebrating was to hydroplane into a metal security gate

No injuries but my pride... The gate had a scratch on it (big metal gate) my 99 dx not so much

I pushed up the hood busted the headlight bent up the core support damaged passenger fender didn't damage the bumper mount or to much of the side I actually drove it to where I could get a cell phone signal

Air bags and radiator didn't blow not sure about condensor
the car is high Milage but maintained very well so I am going to fix it...
I have gone to a few junk yards and I am looking at 350-400 plus tax in parts if I want to keep it a 1999 / 2000
BUT
One junkyard is about to crush their cars and they offered me all the parts I need coming from two different civics
Bumper cover and hood from a 98 fenders and core from a 1997
They will throw in the headlights but they are really really yellowed to the point where I don't know how light passed for $150 including tax
What I like about that yard is I can pull the parts myself and keep all bolts and plastic clips and pretty much whatever else is associated with the job at no more money also I am getting all genuine honda parts

I am planning (and they approved ) me cutting the core support out a little but further back so if there's more damage then I can visually see on my car I have the parts

I know I can do the conversion to the older front look and it's not that I am trying to be super cheap but the car has 273k and runs like a champ I am willing to give her some love but not too much
My car is silver
But the hood and driver fender are teal
Bumper cover is black as is the grill
Passenger fender is hunter green
Core support is also teal

My paint is clear on my car and in pretty good shape
I talked to a few body shops and they want between 800-1000 to paint it right blending all the panels and doing the job 100%

A tech school will paint it for 400 dollars whole car but the soonest I can bring it in is august (per the school )

Since I don't want to drive around a clown car I was going to give all the parts a scuff and use some rattle cans to make it silver although it won't look great
I think it would look better then the current colors

I do have an air compressor which is has more cfm then needed to run a hvlp gun but my experience in that field is lacking

Does anyone know a good close match for the silver paint from the factory or have any suggestions?

Do y'all think I should go crazy and try my luck with hvlp gun?

usajags84 04-19-2015 10:01 PM

Re: Wrecked it now fixing need rattle can advice

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry it's so dark

usajags84 04-19-2015 10:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It missed the bumper mostly

Stock 99 04-19-2015 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by usajags84 (Post 4683597)
No injuries but my pride... The gate had a scratch on it (big metal gate) my 99 dx not so much

Sorry about your car...that sucks

My paint is clear on my car and in pretty good shape
I talked to a few body shops and they want between 800-1000 to paint it right blending all the panels and doing the job 100%

A tech school will paint it for 400 dollars whole car but the soonest I can bring it in is august (per the school )

Since I don't want to drive around a clown car I was going to give all the parts a scuff and use some rattle cans to make it silver although it won't look great
I think it would look better then the current colors

I do have an air compressor which is has more cfm then needed to run a hvlp gun but my experience in that field is lacking

Does anyone know a good close match for the silver paint from the factory or have any suggestions?

Do y'all think I should go crazy and try my luck with hvlp gun?
This is a good Motor Trend video on how to do a backyard paint job. If you already have the airgun I'd say you could probably paint the new parts yourself. The paint code will be on the inside of your door jam and I can get small amounts of paint from local parts stores here in Canada so I'd do some digging around and you'll probably be able to find an exact match. Just paint the pieces off the car and make sure your put a couple coats of clear on it once it's painted.

....and as someone who drove a clown car for many years I highly recommend trying to paint it as close as you can on some level.

usajags84 04-21-2015 06:41 AM

I am sure it's been done but I think I am going to do a diy on the 6th gen I didn't do one on my seventh gen 03 when I had to weld a new one in but now that work is less crazy and I have some more time maybe I shall do my first diy

Stock 99 04-21-2015 09:52 AM

It would be great to see some fresh stuff in 6th gen. If you paint it I'm sure a lot of people would find that information valuable as well.

usajags84 07-27-2015 09:27 PM

update time... been long enough.

New core support welded in thankfully horns we're not bent. $80
New headlights $65
Radiator 45
Radiator overflow $15
Radiator fan bumper cover bumper support and cushion 99

Few parts I had to replace since I borrowed them while car was downn
Distributer 95
Battery 45

Parts I got to buy
Fender passenger side
Grill
Ac condensor

usajags84 07-27-2015 09:38 PM

hard parts

Well the hardest part of the repair were the followingol the old core support was a pain in the ass to get off. I mean it wasn't tack welded from the front like the 7th gen it was a lot easier to take off.

Initially I decided not to fix the car but I missed driving it

Right now I have gotten the car running but it it ain't right car has no power what so ever it's idling abbout 1650 rpm

usajags84 07-27-2015 09:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's Here's my handy work.

Note the duck tape is temporary

usajags84 07-27-2015 09:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Please tell me the wires are on right...
I'll feel like an idiot if that's my problem
It would make my day if it was NY pr

ezone 07-27-2015 11:58 PM

You would probably have low rpm and bad miss if the plug wires were out of sequence

Vacuum leaks? Low coolant?
Dist timed slow? Did you time it at all?
I see it's turned to the end of the slot instead of near the middle... Wrong dist for the engine? Cam timing off by a tooth and can't adjust ignition timing to the right mark?

usajags84 08-01-2015 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4689895)
You would probably have low rpm and bad miss if the plug wires were out of sequence

Vacuum leaks? Low coolant?
Dist timed slow? Did you time it at all?
I see it's turned to the end of the slot instead of near the middle... Wrong dist for the engine? Cam timing off by a tooth and can't adjust ignition timing to the right mark?

Got it running better today, ran checked coolant got heat blaring on ramps got an air bubble out, cleaner iac and throttle body again.
I also got to get the timing right need light

usajags84 08-02-2015 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by usajags84 (Post 4690143)
Got it running better today, ran checked coolant got heat blaring on ramps got an air bubble out, cleaner iac and throttle body again.
I also got to get the timing right need light

I cleared iac code and I am getting it back with the heater circuit on o2 sensor bank 1,
However car is now running and can actually move on its own power.
I am going to harbor freight to pick up a timing light and ordering an iac online I want to trace the wires on the o2 sensor because it might have gotten kicked when replacing a day welding in new core support.

usajags84 08-18-2015 09:19 PM

Iac replaced and timed properly almost paint time

Iac replaced and timed properly just have to replace the top o2 sensor and my manifold is pretty cracked but it's running like a sewing machine now and I also recharged the air so very comfy

ezone 08-18-2015 09:47 PM

:tup:

mac25 08-19-2015 03:12 AM

The body shop is right blending will take hours to get right.

you need to remove the wax/grease then sand into the clear coat and primer extending past the damaged area, so you end up with a smooth transition.

Then there is the body filling sanding, priming, painting and clear coating.

If you try please post pics because I will need to blend for a project I am working on as well, and could use all the info I can get.