Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/183-6th-generation-civic-1996-2000)
-   -   Easy Performance Mods (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/183-6th-generation-civic-1996-2000/341742-easy-performance-mods.html)

Tyrant2012 06-19-2011 01:17 AM

Easy Performance Mods

2 Attachment(s)
Hello,
I have a few questions as I am not that experienced with cars. I own a 1998 Honda Civic LX 16YB engine I believe. I just had my entire body re-done with the SI paint new grill, HID 8000K lights, blue LED dome lightening inside,got a nice stereo in it, had my head gaskets, timing belt, radiator, water pump and pulley systems re-done and replaced. Also has fully adjustable stiff springs on it now. Soon to be buying new taillights 15 inch blacked out rims and a few other things for it like fog lights and some small interior things like new mats etc. Well to get to the point I want to add a little more Umph under the hood as the engine and as far performance its pretty much stock. So I want some advice on some somewhat cheap and easy mods I can do to the engine or car itself to give it maybe 10 to 25 more HP. I dont want to do anything major like a turbo or something like that. From what I know I should put a nice Cold air intake on it and performance spark plug wires and plugs. I dont want a exhaust kit though. So if anyone can give me some advice or recommandations would be greatly appreciated thanks alot.

Attachment 100457

Attachment 100458

MelJ 06-19-2011 06:35 AM

Re: Easy Performance Mods

Intake and plugs will give you minimal gains at best. You probably wouldn't even notice them to be honest. You're looking at a swap(my suggestion), upgraded exhaust along with the intake, different cams, and other internals.

02civicsi02 06-19-2011 09:08 PM

Intake will give like 4 hp, the plugs won't really do anything. Upgrade exhaust, header, cams, ecu. Or you can swap.

Tyrant2012 06-20-2011 02:56 PM

Thanks for the tips everyone, although most of that stuff is just a little out of what I want, I dont want to make this thing super fast, I like the MPG I get I just want a little extra boost. ECU,Cams and especially a swap is all stuff I have to have a mechanic do and is just a little too pricy I jsut want mods I can do myself that arent too difficult. And its hard to find compatible parts for a 98 lx 4 door.

JackedByJack 06-20-2011 08:03 PM

another way to make it alittle faster is weight reduction, by removing the spare tire, back seats, carpeting, any radio or aftermarket sound system, if you can go without ac remove that as well, go light weight alloy wheels, remove the air bags and install a new steering wheel. all this can greatly improve your speed and its absolutley free(except the wheels and steering wheel) you would be very suprised how much a difference 200 to 300 pounds can make.

hsennik 02-17-2015 11:02 PM

have you considered a "sprint booster" they do not give you more horsepower or torque for that matter but it basically increases you elctronic speeds from flooring the pedal down to the motor. Its easy as hell to install and its only like $300. Some of the other guys may disagree but if your on a budget and its a DIY this is something to look into

Here check this link out:

06 EX Mild Mods 02-19-2015 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by hsennik (Post 4679604)
have you considered a "sprint booster" they do not give you more horsepower or torque for that matter but it basically increases you elctronic speeds from flooring the pedal down to the motor. Its easy as hell to install and its only like $300. Some of the other guys may disagree but if your on a budget and its a DIY this is something to look into

Here check this link out:
Sprint Booster on Motorhead Garage TV - YouTube

Removed the resonator muffler to the right of pipe clamp and replaced it with a straight pipe, $65 at local muffler shop. Sounds better without the annoyingly loud sound of some large diameter mufflers. I did a intake mod that greatly reduced the stock intake restriction with just time and my own manual labor. If interested in this contact me. http://i57.tinypic.com/2qd7gqt.jpg