Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/183-6th-generation-civic-1996-2000)
-   -   aftermarket security system is keeping car from starting (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/183-6th-generation-civic-1996-2000/373082-aftermarket-security-system-keeping-car-starting.html)

johnnytuthumbs 04-16-2018 01:28 PM

aftermarket security system is keeping car from starting

I own a 2000 Honda Civic EX I just bought it. Its been running fine but now the security system is for some reason keeping the car from starting. The security system could be bypassed but the problem is there's no door handles on the car. So if the security system is bypassed the key fob won't work to open the door. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas how this can be fixed

RobertD 04-16-2018 02:29 PM

Re: aftermarket security system is keeping car from starting

get rid of the vato upgrades and reinstall the door handles. you might inspect the third party wiring for blown inline fuses, unsoldered connnections, etc, and hope for the best.

my experiences with "door popper" cars..... nobody smart enough to properly wire a car gets rid of the door handles. they jerry rig the crap out of them and then find an unsuspecting buyer when they find their problematic money pit is beyond repair. i'd take it as a learning experience and move on. a 2000 civic isn't a special car, and it isn't worth the headache you're heading for.

Colin42 04-16-2018 02:48 PM

add hacked wiring to that inspect+fix list

ezone 04-16-2018 03:23 PM

Keep a window rolled down until you figure out what else you can do about the door handles. Maybe wire up a hidden switch somewhere on the outside of the car to open each door.

No start----Could be completely unrelated to the aftermarket junk installed.

Rubber button missing from the clutch interlock switch tab? Bad starter? Other electrical connection issues? Battery?
What testing have you done?

johnnytuthumbs 04-16-2018 07:35 PM

Thanks y'all for the help so far. I agree Robert the shaved door handles are ridiculous. I bought it for the gas mileage but door handles would be great. I only paid 500 for it. I've had it for 2 months and it runs great. The only problem is this security/door problem which just happened. The starter, battery, and clutch button have all been checked and are good.

johnnytuthumbs 04-16-2018 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Colin42 (Post 4743796)

what is the inspect +fix list

johnnytuthumbs 04-17-2018 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Colin42 (Post 4743796)

Colin42 04-17-2018 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by johnnytuthumbs (Post 4743835)

this

Originally Posted by RobertD (Post 4743794)
get rid of the upgrades and reinstall the door handles. you might inspect the third party wiring for blown inline fuses, unsoldered connnections, etc, and hope for the best.

johnnytuthumbs 04-17-2018 07:43 AM

Does anyone know how to install door handles when the doors are shaved and there are no door handles?

Colin42 04-17-2018 10:12 AM

sand down the door until you see where they filled the hole.
cut that out and hope that all the mounting points are still inside the door.

or go to the junkyard and get a couple doors for $50 each

johnnytuthumbs 05-06-2018 03:57 PM

Sorry for the late response the problem with the car not starting was my Civic has two clutch buttons and the harder to reach one was bad. The mechanic didn't realize there was two what's a buttonless fix the car started fine and it's been good ever since