Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/183-6th-generation-civic-1996-2000)
-   -   It's finally over. Mini me started...few adjustments needed (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/183-6th-generation-civic-1996-2000/370048-its-finally-over-mini-me-started-few-adjustments-needed.html)

2kej6 05-03-2017 10:34 PM

It's finally over. Mini me started...few adjustments needed

3 Attachment(s)
Well it's finally done. Took a few cranks and tightening of the injectors/rail but it finally sputtered to life...sounding decent then leak from rail return and the party was cut short...also I knew I'd throw some codes:
Got pictures of them attached. Tomorrow is when Ill attempt to fine tune everything etc. Unfortunately right now I had to return to y7 injectors and rail (pick n pull one's were done)....this is temporary...need to address this vtec issue bet jts the way it was wired to ecu?
​​​​​​​
y7 block Y8 head P2P-a92 ecu

ezone 05-04-2017 12:14 AM

Re: It's finally over. Mini me started...few adjustments needed

ECT and IAT unplugged? Can you view live data to see the actual temperature values displayed?

You do have a VTEC valve on this head, yes? Check wiring starts and ends in the correct connector cavities, check operation, check input/output?

2kej6 05-04-2017 12:35 AM

Vtec solenoid is attached to head..connected with aftermarket pigtail...pressure sensor below it, knock etc..may have wires mixed at the ecu? Also didn't keep car on because I sW what looked more like steam than smoke with no distinct odor coming from exhaust manifold area?? Is this due to new head/cleaning chemicals etc?

ezone 05-04-2017 12:50 AM

Also didn't keep car on because I sW what looked more like steam than smoke with no distinct odor coming from exhaust manifold area?? Is this due to new head/cleaning chemicals etc?
Theres always gonna be some smoke until it's been good and hot to burn it off. As long as no fluids pour out let it run.

2kej6 05-07-2017 08:20 AM

Well all but vtec failure fixed..I also jumped some teeth I believe..my marks are not lining but anymore and no starting....#@_&$#-_+&...so checked plugs they smell like fuel replaced them then realized I had two injector wires backwards...took out plugs, unhooked ecu, pulled 7.5/15 fuse and went to sleep...gotta snag a pigtail for pressure switch tomorrow...and somehow reset ignition timing...one thing after the other. At least the cranking sounds strong...ha

ezone 05-07-2017 02:49 PM

.I also jumped some teeth I believe..my marks are not lining but anymore and no starting....#@_&$#-_+&
Pray to the deity of your choosing that no valves were bent!

Also, why did it jump time, and how can you prevent it?

2kej6 05-07-2017 04:06 PM

I may have worded it wrong. After my initial startup I noticed the mark I made wasn't exactly lined up. So I pulled belt off (horrible I know​. I keep strong tension and tried to manually move it back. Didn't work so slid it right back to original spot.....this is all due to me skipping timing belt due to breaking all extensions and even a ratchet. Impact did nothing. The belt has been replaced bc the white writing is still clear no missing teeth etc.....I think I cannot avoid the inevitable and will have to replace it to redo timing...I currently removed plugs, and dizzy set TDC based off the cam gear...now while I research some more I'm wiring up gauges and ecu before I attempt anything else with it...lesson learned....don't rush things... 😑 No damage thankfully.

ezone 05-07-2017 06:14 PM

YOUR mark? If you made a mark on the belt then roll the crank a few times, your mark will not line up again for maybe 73 revolutions because belt length vs timing gear diameter is never a 1:1 ratio, that's just how it is.

How about all the timing marks the factory put on the cam gear and the crank pulley, do they align in any way shape or form?

A smidgen difference isn't usually a problem when it's NEAR the correct tooth, and belt timing can only change by length of a full tooth not a partial tooth....

2kej6 05-08-2017 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4723858)
YOUR mark? If you made a mark on the belt then roll the crank a few times, your mark will not line up again for maybe 73 revolutions because belt length vs timing gear diameter is never a 1:1 ratio, that's just how it is.

How about all the timing marks the factory put on the cam gear and the crank pulley, do they align in any way shape or form?

A smidgen difference isn't usually a problem when it's NEAR the correct tooth, and belt timing can only change by length of a full tooth not a partial tooth....

Edit: not MY own markings, the "up" on cam is at 12 position. The white and three red are to the right if the iron site on the cover (don't know name) to set timing for Start up now is it the cam or crank that had to be aligned 100%
http://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_tp...w?usp=drivesdk

ezone 05-08-2017 07:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)

the "up" on cam is at 12 position
UP on the cam gear isn't a timing mark, it's only there to indicate a general area. UP at the top means piston #1 is near TDC, if UP were at the bottom that would mean piston #4 is near TDC.

The actual cam timing marks are slashes or notches in the edge of the gear that align with the surface of the head.

now is it the cam or crank that had to be aligned 100%
Crank first.

The white and three red are to the right if the iron site on the cover
Iron sight, I like it. It's called a pointer.

Rotate the crank so the single notch (white mark) in the pulley is aligned in the gun sight. ....(and UP is near the top of cam gear, not bottom)

Once the single notch is set in the pointer, see where the cam gear notches are.
Should be like this
Attachment 90091

I usually use a mirror to view these timing marks because I can't get an eyeball perfectly level with the engine while it's in the car hanging down (fender in the way).

2kej6 05-08-2017 09:03 PM

[QUOTE=Iron sight, I like it. It's called a pointer.[/QUOTE]

haha leftover army in me.
I lined both up as close as I could..the up is crank is lined with white..and cam "up" is at 1:00 position..double checked plug wires, getting fuel..i am getting battery light...plugged in scanner during cranking and got reading of 5 degrees spark advance..then did battery test which says its failed...(12.1v) now im wondering if im making this more complicated and should take my (6 month old battery back to the zone and exchange/refund/test)??

ezone 05-08-2017 09:32 PM

.the up is crank is lined with white..and cam "up" is at 1:00 position
What about the notches on the sides of the cam gear? That's the important part.

i am getting battery light...
Duh, it's gotta be running first.

then did battery test which says its failed...(12.1v)
Duh, you've cranked the sh!t out of the starter and it's running the battery down.
Put a charger on it.

now im wondering if im making this more complicated
Duh, :rofl::rofl::rofl:

plugged in scanner during cranking and got reading of 5 degrees spark advance
That's only the ECM advance control. The distributor still has to be manually timed (timing light) once you get it to run.

2kej6 05-08-2017 10:19 PM

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_t...w?usp=drivesdk

That's where it sits as of right now and the crank

From here if I turn by hand I could get it fairly close.. it started first day I completed it...whyyyyy did it touch it?? Aggh. Rotor is pointed at #1 wire..

ezone 05-08-2017 10:42 PM

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/hx...2Wc=w1600-h770
That is far off the mark.
Spin that crank pulley til the white mark lines up with the pointers.

Then see where the cam pulley marks are.

2kej6 05-08-2017 11:04 PM

Which puts my cam gear here:

ezone 05-08-2017 11:08 PM

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/3F...gIk=w1600-h770

Ok this looks right.....
Now what about the cam gear position/marks alignment?

2kej6 05-08-2017 11:10 PM

That's where the cam gear sits when crank is in line

ezone 05-08-2017 11:17 PM

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/jU...tA8=w1600-h770

Ugh. 3 or 4 teeth out of time?
WTF happened, how did it jump time? Is the belt loose, tensioner wasn't set to take up slack?

Loosen tensioner, slip belt off cam gear, move cam to correct position, reinstall belt, reset the tensioner.......hope no valve damage

2kej6 05-09-2017 12:25 AM

Awesome..well it's 1030 here...I left it where it was. Going to Google more and adjust it first thing in AM.. I've NEVER liked timing..never even attempted to time my vehicles. Got lucky with swaps in the past I guess..well thanks any more info/advice?

ezone 05-09-2017 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by 2kej6 (Post 4723946)
Awesome..well it's 1030 here...I left it where it was. Going to Google more and adjust it first thing in AM.. I've NEVER liked timing..never even attempted to time my vehicles. Got lucky with swaps in the past I guess..well thanks any more info/advice?

Follow instructions/RTFM?:rtfm:

2kej6 05-09-2017 12:46 AM

Lol I've printed out so many write ups, how to diagrams, an account with all data....somewhere got mixed up..I think what's throwing me off is 1, automatic with IM from a 5 speed (block off plate for IACV) y7 TB, P2P-a92 (auto) ecu...so when I Google I have to pay close attention bc lots of these write-ups apply to manual only with p28s etc...

ezone 05-09-2017 01:13 AM

You're only concern should be the freekin block and head and setting up the timing belt for a (...whatever it is, 99 Civic? It's late LOL). Manifold mods don't matter.

EDIT: I do this in my sleep at work, I keep forgetting not everyone else is that familiar with the work..
I've done enough I don't need to refer to a service manual very often

2kej6 05-09-2017 01:41 AM

mechanic? ASE? if you live in northern CA ill pay you to fix this haha

2kej6 05-09-2017 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4723945)
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/jU...tA8=w1600-h770

Ugh. 3 or 4 teeth out of time?
WTF happened, how did it jump time? Is the belt loose, tensioner wasn't set to take up slack?

Loosen tensioner, slip belt off cam gear, move cam to correct position, reinstall belt, reset the tensioner.......hope no valve damage

One last question and then I'll leave you alone....when this first occurred I actually tried that..kept tension on belt while attempt to rotate cam..now bc of the key in there I had to rotate it but couldn't? Is it safe/possible to rotate just the cam with the belt off?

Wankenstein 05-09-2017 06:28 AM

OP: With a 6th gen (almost 20 years old) Civic it's never over..lol
Once you get 'er dicked and you think all is good..within 6 months some other annoying sh!t breaks down.

2kej6 05-09-2017 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Megalodong (Post 4723959)
OP: With a 6th gen (almost 20 years old) Civic it's never over..lol
Once you get 'er dicked and you think all is good..within 6 months some other annoying sh!t breaks down.

Aha this is true. Yet strangely I've never owned any other brand..

Wankenstein 05-09-2017 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by 2kej6 (Post 4723963)
Aha this is true. Yet strangely I've never owned any other brand..

The trade-off is (older) Honda's are easier to repair than most and it's better the devll you know.

2kej6 05-09-2017 02:36 PM

This is true...these new models coming out I haven't messed with at all...2000 and lower (well 7th gen and below) I can find parts lower the year less emissions computers etc it's like Legos...build however your imagination wants to

2kej6 05-09-2017 07:06 PM

UPDATE: so slipped belt off cam...got TDC as close as humanly possible...both cam crank and dizzy rotor pointed towards plug 1....first crank it sputtered to life for a solid 5-10 seconds and then drown itself out???

2kej6 05-09-2017 07:47 PM

It's Alive!!

Alright mini me will start up...however....in park/any other gear car rolls forward like it wants to drive.....idles rough but could hear it wanting to correct itself and it did....it burped up massive amounts of water.....(see picture) and smoking pretty good out of the tail pipe...no odor to it but got so smokey I shut it down due to neighbors being around...and this is CA...lol need to figure out why car drives itsself in pArk nuetral etc...thoughts?