Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/182-7th-generation-civic-2001-2005)
-   -   Knocking in front when turning strut/spring (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/182-7th-generation-civic-2001-2005/373080-knocking-front-when-turning-strut-spring.html)

Joenawrockis 04-16-2018 11:10 AM

Knocking in front when turning strut/spring

ok so I’ve done some looking on this site a lot and on other various diy sites, when I’m turning to the left exclusively is when I hear this loud thud or knock from my driver side strut. From what I’ve been retaining from my searches is it possible that it’s just my coil or spring and not the entire strut? I also know there’s a very specific way to line up your new coils on these Honda’s too. Also is it possible it’s just the driver side that needs replacing i understand that swapping out both would be the smartest route , however when I have my car on stands and shake the two front tires side to side the driver side is predominantly where I hear this; when i jump over to passenger side and do the same I do hear the noise but I’m wondering if it’s not from where the problem area originated because on my pass side it’s not as loud. Please send help ASAP thanks

RobertD 04-16-2018 11:27 AM

Re: Knocking in front when turning strut/spring

1 Attachment(s)
normally what happens is the bearing(which makes the strut rotate as the wheel turns left and right) on the top of the strut fails, initially you hear clicking and clanging, then one day when you turn the wheel, the springs crack off and the noise it makes gets scarier. i would replace the entire assemblies on both sides.

i dealt with that recently on a malibu. these are what came out:
Attachment 112148
notice how both springs are cracked in half
also had about 50 little bb's roll around the floor from the bearing cup on top.

BrotatoChip 04-16-2018 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by RobertD (Post 4743781)
normally what happens is the bearing(which makes the strut rotate as the wheel turns left and right) on the top of the strut fails, initially you hear clicking and clanging, then one day when you turn the wheel, the springs crack off and the noise it makes gets scarier. i would replace the entire assemblies on both sides.

Attachment 112148
also had about 50 little bb's roll around the floor from the bearing cup on top.

That picture gives me anxiety :eek:

Joenawrockis 04-16-2018 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by RobertD (Post 4743781)

Attachment 112148

Alright awesome thanks for the insight, appreciated! and agreed i really hope that dont happen to me before i can get to it. lol