Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/182-7th-generation-civic-2001-2005)
-   -   Civic stalls then shuts off while driving (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/182-7th-generation-civic-2001-2005/371378-civic-stalls-then-shuts-off-while-driving.html)

Marquez760 10-10-2017 01:57 PM

Civic stalls then shuts off while driving

Hey guys so I'm new to this forum. I just recently bought a Honda Civic 2004 from this guy. It just started having stalling issues when I would accelerate sometimes, the engine light would randomly come on then turn off also does that with the battery light. I just bought a new battery however I had to buy a bigger size battery because the battery that's made for the car wouldn't fit right it was to small and loose 🤔I had the battery and alternator tested. Everything turned out good but when I let the car sit for 2 days it was completely dead. It has a aftermarket alarm system which I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it draining the battery so I just stopped using it then just yesterday when I was driving on a small bridge it stalls when I pushed on the gas then the engine completely stops with no emergency lane to pull over to I was stuck on the right lane of this bridge. Was a nightmare. I tried pushing on the gas but it wouldn't go it just kept stalling then it locked up. A couple mins later the battery goes out on me. It started making this ticking sizzling noise from under the wheel so I had it towed back to my place jumped it and it started up just fine. I went and had the engine light checked error code said it was the egr valve. Haven't yet got it changed out. The thing wouldn't budge. What I don't understand is if it's just the egr valve how could it be causing issues with the battery or if it's something else and I really can't afford to be changing everything out at the moment. What should I be checking? Someone please help! 😰

Wankenstein 10-10-2017 06:10 PM

Re: Civic stalls then shuts off while driving

Check, clean and tighten all chassis and motor grounds if needed.
Find the fuse for the alarm and remove it. Keep that fuse removed for a week and see if the issue persist. Also, disconnect the battery and check alternator connections...if the positive (threaded stud) is not loose do not try to tighten it further. If it's loose then tighten it but be careful not to overtighten..it can snap the threaded stud.

When you put the battery cables on perform an ECU reset (idle re-learn)..Google the procedure or search here.

ezone 10-10-2017 07:46 PM

Disconnect/disable or even completely remove the aftermarket alarm.

Make sure the alternator mounting bolts are tight. Someone forgetting to tighten those bolts leads to burning out the PCM, and that isn't cheap.

If the battery warning light is on, it's on for a reason.
First check I do is very simple, disconnect the 4 wire plug from the alternator and note if the warning light goes out.
If it goes out, the alternator is bad.

What was the code number you got? Some EGR codes cannot be fixed by replacing parts.

Marquez760 10-11-2017 03:45 PM

Thank you for the responses. I tried to start my car today was completely dead jump started it no warning lights came on. Only when I drive the car the engine light comes on then the battery light will come on for a couple of mins then off The error code # was P0404

In the meantime I will be checking these things and the fuses

ezone 10-11-2017 06:06 PM

P0404 if I had to take a wild guess, the EGR valve was or is stuck closed or does not open when commanded for some reason...

I'd figure out and fix the battery/drain/charging system problem first--- then see if the EGR code continues returning and deal with that one later.

Does the alternator (battery symbol) warning light stay on long enough to open the hood and unplug the alternator?
Do you have an ammeter?

Marquez760 10-21-2017 05:43 PM

the charging system indicator does not stay on long enough for me to check it that way and I drove it 2 hours recently and it did just fine it did not come on that time neither did it stall while accelerating but the malfunction indicator lamp is staying on and I haven’t used the alarm system lately and something is still killing the battery when I go to turn it on the next day it hesitates or if I don’t use it for 1-2 days it will completely die out. I don’t have a ammeter and checked mostly everything It’s soo ****ing with me I guess I’ll have to take it to a professional mechanic if I can’t figure it out soon