Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/182-7th-generation-civic-2001-2005)
-   -   Cold Start Issuses (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/182-7th-generation-civic-2001-2005/365341-cold-start-issuses.html)

Nalmonte 09-25-2015 09:18 AM

Cold Start Issuses

Good Morning All,
Have any of my fellow 7th gen owners ever had trouble with cold starts on their civic? I'm not sure if it's my battery or the fact that I have an ultra starter on the car? any help or ideas will be great.

NAlmonte,

GolNat 09-25-2015 09:42 AM

Re: Cold Start Issuses

Get the battery tested. How old is it?

mikey1 09-25-2015 11:45 AM

is the engine cranking and just not starting?

is it not cranking at all?

any clicking sounds?

for the love of god please do not use the word "turnover" in your reply :facepalm:

GolNat 09-25-2015 11:55 AM

https://interestsofchildren.files.wo.../turnover5.png

Nalmonte 09-25-2015 05:05 PM

Well last time it happened the car didn't even click let it would when you turn the key to two. The battery and the alternator are in good space I did have it tested it from 2010.

bsmiley 09-25-2015 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Nalmonte (Post 4694106)
Well last time it happened the car didn't even click let it would when you turn the key to two. The battery and the alternator are in good space I did have it tested it from 2010.

We'd like to help you. Please separate what your saying by periods. It hard to read and understand what you are attempting to communicate.

When you turn your key, does the starter crank the engine? I think you are saying it doesn't even click?

2010 is 5 years ago... have you had the battery tested since you've had problems starting the car?

Have you tried to jump start the car?

ezone 09-25-2015 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by GolNat (Post 4694077)

Originally Posted by bsmiley (Post 4694108)
We'd like to help you. Please separate what your saying by periods. It hard to read and understand what you are attempting to communicate.

When you turn your key, does the starter crank the engine? I think you are saying it doesn't even click?

2010 is 5 years ago... have you had the battery tested since you've had problems starting the car?

Have you tried to jump start the car?

:popcorn:

Nalmonte 09-25-2015 10:25 PM

Yes, the battery is from 2010 I brought the car in March of 2015. Went to autozone because I thought it was the battery; but after the autozone tech tested the battery that it was in condition for a battery of 2010. The morning I tried to start the car, it would not crank the engine. But later that day when I came back to the car I found that I was able to start the car no problem. Hope this more helpful then my first post.

mikey1 09-26-2015 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Nalmonte (Post 4694127)
The morning I tried to start the car, it would not crank the engine. But later that day when I came back to the car I found that I was able to start the car no problem. Hope this more helpful then my first post.

assuming the battery is in good condition this sounds like an electrical issue

start by testing the battery with a voltmeter,

disconnect the battery and clean the connectors and battery terminals with a mixture of baking soda and water, make sure they are spotless, use a toothbrush or wire brush or sandpaper if need be,

wipe everything dry and wait 30 mins then re-connect the terminals

bsmiley 09-26-2015 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Nalmonte (Post 4694127)
Yes, the battery is from 2010 I brought the car in March of 2015. Went to autozone because I thought it was the battery; but after the autozone tech tested the battery that it was in condition for a battery of 2010. The morning I tried to start the car, it would not crank the engine. But later that day when I came back to the car I found that I was able to start the car no problem. Hope this more helpful then my first post.

I strongly suspect your battery. Bad batteries are notorious for erratic behavior. One day it won't start and will need a jump, but the next few times it will start with no problems.

The 5 year old battery, regardless of what the Autozone person said is still the likely culprit.

I'd price a replacement battery from Costco, Honda and Walmart. While replacing it I'd clean up the terminals and grounds with baking soda.

Nalmonte 09-27-2015 12:44 PM

Thank you everyone for your help; what would you all suggest would be the best battery for a 2001 Honda Civic?

mikey1 09-27-2015 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Nalmonte (Post 4694224)
Thank you everyone for your help; what would you all suggest would be the best battery for a 2001 Honda Civic?

the cheapest one with a good warranty

maxtierney 09-28-2015 01:10 PM

I get all of my batteries from Honda, they carry an 8 year warranty (3 year full replacement). I pay dealer cost for all my parts, but they aren't too bad retail. Comparable.