Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/182-7th-generation-civic-2001-2005)
-   -   putting in a jdm engine (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/182-7th-generation-civic-2001-2005/351439-putting-jdm-engine.html)

partypeepers 09-12-2012 11:01 PM

putting in a jdm engine

Hello this week I'm going to be dropping in a men engine you know one of those imported motors. my question is this. besides all the external components of a motor is there anything else that needs to be changed I read somewhere that you need to put in a oil pump that a u.s one and a crankshaft sensor or something like that.. any help is appreciated thanks its an 04 civic dx

sl33pyriceboi 09-12-2012 11:44 PM

Re: putting in a jdm engine

oh...dear....lawd...

rjones7755 09-12-2012 11:58 PM

Oh cool!!!!!! What motor are you putting in???

partypeepers 09-13-2012 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by rjones7755 (Post 4616797)
Oh cool!!!!!! What motor are you putting in???

Just the regular 1.7 non vtec

Artificial 09-13-2012 07:27 AM

You seem like you have no idea what you are doing...

partypeepers 09-13-2012 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Artificial (Post 4616825)
You seem like you have no idea what you are doing...

And why is that.. I'm just wondering cause its what someone had told me.

Artificial 09-13-2012 11:06 PM

You're not ready for swapping an engine if you have to ask questions, especially where to hoist out the old motor from.

I know I won't ever be swapping an engine unless I could recite the whole process from start to finish.

sl33pyriceboi 09-14-2012 12:58 AM

errrrbody take it easy on partypeep....

everybody starts somewhere and he's starting here.

partypeep, swaping out an engine is a very intense job and you pretty much have to know your engine in and out (literally).

so, i can tell you with confident, that this project is WAY over your head and requires a lot more than just "knowledge." things like mechanic experience which i doubt you possess.

we know that because your question is worded very ambiguous as if you know nothing at all.

for example when you say "besides all the external components of a motor "

what external components are you talking about? wires? pulleies? valve cover? transmission?

so first of all, what are you trying to accomplish (goals)???

you have a DX...its already got no Vtec. why on earth do you want to swap in another of the exact same non-vtec motor???

our civics basically have two motors (besides the hybrid) a D17a1 and D17a2. a1 is none vtec and a2 is vtec.

sl33pyriceboi 09-14-2012 01:01 AM

and if u are wanting to swap out your non vtec with a vtec d17, i can tell you that it is certainly not worth the hassle...you have to change a whole bunch of things besides the engine...things like exhaust, o2 sensors, ABS sensors, EX knuckles with ABS sensor holes, ECU, wiring...etc... (just to name a few)

at this point you are better off selling your car, and buying a EX that has vtec, abs...etc... especially if you are not doing it yourself and going to have to pay someone labor...

sl33pyriceboi 09-14-2012 01:03 AM

i hope this helps you with some of your questions. there is nothing wrong with starting off and knowing nothing. everybody starts there. stick around and start learning how to do things (small things first) and it will build your experience/knowledge on the mechanic fundamentals.

btw, if you didnt get the underlying pun, the first two replies are sarcasm (post 2 and 3).

partypeepers 09-14-2012 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi (Post 4616977)
and if u are wanting to swap out your non vtec with a vtec d17, i can tell you that it is certainly not worth the hassle...you have to change a whole bunch of things besides the engine...things like exhaust, o2 sensors, ABS sensors, EX knuckles with ABS sensor holes, ECU, wiring...etc... (just to name a few)

at this point you are better off selling your car, and buying a EX that has vtec, abs...etc... especially if you are not doing it yourself and going to have to pay someone labor...

My engine broke so all im doing is putting a used engines its all

sl33pyriceboi 09-14-2012 03:43 AM

if you are going to replace it with the same engine, then its straight plug and play.

however, its still not a novice job.

because do take your engine out, you gotta disconnect everything including wires, drive shafts, mounts, power steering...etc.

i am very very very well versed in my civic and even i would leave that job up to the professionals.

partypeepers 09-14-2012 08:05 PM

Well ma go ahead and move forward with this. I might of paraphrase my question wrong. but I'm pretty well mechanically inclined. ill be posting pics of before and after. just not this week though because of the hot weather out here in call its gonna be 104 this weekend uggghh... k

EŽik 09-15-2012 07:18 AM

Engine swap ftw! So do you already have an engine ready to go? Or are you looking for one? If you sticking to something similar, just get the vtec d17a2 from a junker for cheap and plug that in. If your looking for more power, there are other options.

I'm no mechanic, and I had a good friend do my swap, but helping, and seeing how it was done, is quite a chore. especially when things break, or don't go as planned. Even doing a straight swap with the same engine, could pose a lot of problems.

Getting flamed on a site for questions like you asked is going to happen anywhere you go. (I know I've asked my share of those questions) This site is full of helpfull people and info to get your questions answered.

Good luck with your swap.

j_dock69 09-16-2012 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi (Post 4616977)

This is so very wrong, i swapped in a '05 'a2 into my '02 dx using the haynes manual and diys on here. you can swap without changing ecu and wire harness, exhaust and o2 sensors. my car is running fine using an apexi vafc2 for vtec and dx ecu, exhaust, knuckles, and has been for 10k kms

J-M.QUESNEL 09-16-2012 08:09 PM

if i have a d17a1 and im just putting a vtech head do i still have to change the o2 sensors and all the other things mentioned above. I know i have to re-program the computer but what else?

j_dock69 09-16-2012 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by J-M.QUESNEL (Post 4617351)
if i have a d17a1 and im just putting a vtech head do i still have to change the o2 sensors and all the other things mentioned above. I know i have to re-program the computer but what else?

Read the head swap DIY. Very helpful

sl33pyriceboi 09-16-2012 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by partypeepers (Post 4617071)
Well ma go ahead and move forward with this. I might of paraphrase my question wrong. but I'm pretty well mechanically inclined. ill be posting pics of before and after. just not this week though because of the hot weather out here in call its gonna be 104 this weekend uggghh... k

well then, i take my comment back about this being hard for you.

post picts of the progress so the form and you can shoot sh!t. :tup:

sl33pyriceboi 09-16-2012 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by J-M.QUESNEL (Post 4617351)

OR you can look up at post #9 where i addressed it :hithead:

LexIS77 10-10-2013 07:21 AM

So I came across this thread while playing around on google...was just wondering if you ever successfully got your JDM swap in and working partypeepers.