Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/182-7th-generation-civic-2001-2005)
-   -   I need serious advice on what to do with my 01 Civic, I really need to move on (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/182-7th-generation-civic-2001-2005/345215-i-need-serious-advice-what-do-my-01-civic-i-really-need-move.html)

Civicnoobie 11-22-2011 11:19 PM

I need serious advice on what to do with my 01 Civic, I really need to move on

This has gotten beyond ridiculous...I need to put this nightmare behind me once and for all. I have never in my life been so stressed out or obsessed about this. I just cant take it anymore, only thing is its going to be impossible to sell a car with a rebuilt title right? So am I better off selling it for parts? Ive already wasted so much money on this piece of crap that i really dont wanna pay for an auto to manual swap cause the thing is already 10yrs old and has 150k km on it. Even though it pretty much has new brakes, rims, winter tires, all seasons, high output alternator, struts, etc. The list goes on and on!

I know everyone will say just drive it till it dies...the thing is, im not even enjoying driving this thing. I dont feel safe in it, im aalways all stressed out just thinking and looking at my car. Just thinking about this car just makes me outraged. This is not what having a car should be about. I cannot take it anymore. Ive only had this car for 14 months now and its really depressing because when i bought it, i was intending on keeping and cherishing it for as long i could, till it dies. I just cant take this stress anymore.

If I went to a dealer tommorow would they even accept it as trade in? I really dont wanna have to part it out cause it would be an extremely long and stressfull process. Any other alternatives? I really would like to get rid of this nightmare once and for all and move onto another car, prefer different make. Most likely Nissan or Toyota.

Ideally I dont want another civic to be honest but i could live with it, the thing is, (though i could probably manage to convince my family eventually that i got a new car)...ideally the best thing to do would be to get another car of the same kind, same colour, etc....and they wouldnt be able to tell.

I see a used 04 MT Civic locally with only 105k km on it for $6500obo. I could go check that out, buy it and just move my upgrades (like deck, amp) to new car and redo stuff like tinted windows.

If I could, i would just go to the dealer tommorow and buy a used car off the lot but i would have to finance it with monthly payments.

So would you go buy another civic that looks just like mine and move and redo the mods?

Or lease/finance a different car and do god knows what with this one

Or drop another couple grand into it to have it converted to MT?

Seriously though this is my first car and its been the biggest nightmare of my life. Honestly i have so much frustration and anger built inside me right now i almost wanna drive this piece of garbage off a bridge just to forget about it.

MindBomber 11-22-2011 11:31 PM

Re: I need serious advice on what to do with my 01 Civic, I really need to move on

I think you need to make the decision for yourself, because the majority of us own 7th gens and aren't having mental break downs as a result. The problem isn't the car, it's you obsessing over the car.

gearbox 11-22-2011 11:31 PM

Re: I need serious advice on what to do with my 01 Civic, I really need to move on

read my reply in the other thread. people sell all sorts of titles all the time including flood and fire damaged. if the car runs, someone will buy it. any dealer will make you an offer on the spot. but your thinking is flawed if you believe a new car will solve your problems. it could be even worse than what you have now. you want serious advice, here is mine. sell the car private party AS IS and pocket the money. put it in the bank, cancel your car insurance. take a break from cars and see if you really actually need one to function. my guess is you dont. if you do decide you later need transportation to be happy, there are many alternatives available.

Artificial 11-22-2011 11:33 PM

Never have I seen someone so worked up over a car. In all honesty, I think there is something else causing you to feel the way you do.

Bounce the DJ 11-22-2011 11:33 PM

If you're done with the car, can afford car payments...and don't enjoy riding it anymore see how much you can sell it for. Move on to something you like. Honestly, if you get the same exact car....you'll eventually feel the same. You can try to part it out as well if you can't sell it. At least get some money out of it.

Civicnoobie 11-22-2011 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by MindBomber (Post 4573778)
I think you need to make the decision for yourself, because the majority of us own 7th gens and aren't having mental break downs as a result. The problem isn't the car, it's you obsessing over the car.

Yes i know its me obsessing over my car which is not normal at all. Im even seeing counselling about this (have been for 3 weeks now...govt paid counselling of course). I think i need to see this from a mental issue and make a decision.

Originally Posted by gearbox (Post 4573779)
read my reply in the other thread. people sell all sorts of titles all the time including flood and fire damaged. if the car runs, someone will buy it. any dealer will make you an offer on the spot. but your thinking is flawed if you believe a new car will solve your problems. it could be even worse than what you have now. you want serious advice, here is mine. sell the car private party AS IS and pocket the money. put it in the bank, cancel your car insurance. take a break from cars and see if you really actually need one to function. my guess is you dont. if you do decide you later need transportation to be happy, there are many alternatives available.

I checked it out and good advice but coming from someone (me) whos this is his first car, im almost 31 (yes im very embarassed to not own a car til i was 29)....and years and years of taking the bus, I couldnt live without a car. if I lived in NYC or some overly populated city sure easily but not here. I remember just 14 months ago, how excited i was when i bought it, the night before i couldnt sleep, i was so excited...it felt like yesterday. Just 14 months later and what the hell has changed...

Originally Posted by Artificial (Post 4573780)
Never have I seen someone so worked up over a car. In all honesty, I think there is something else causing you to feel the way you do.

Ya I have a lot of personal issues going on right now and have been for years (hence why im now seeing professional counselling).

Originally Posted by Bounce the DJ (Post 4573781)
If you're done with the car, can afford car payments...and don't enjoy riding it anymore see how much you can sell it for. Move on to something you like. Honestly, if you get the same exact car....you'll eventually feel the same. You can try to part it out as well if you can't sell it. At least get some money out of it.

Well i definitely cant afford to buy another car cash thats forsure, id have to lease or finance it. Even then ill have to call around to see what my rates would be. Im not currently working right now and have been unemployed for 3 weeks now.

sdaidoji 11-22-2011 11:48 PM

edited

gearbox 11-22-2011 11:53 PM

29 yrs without a car and now suddenly you cant be without one? holy crap that is the most amazing thing ive read on this forum. congrats to you. now im really convinced you dont need a car. werent you much happier before?

Civicnoobie 11-22-2011 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by gearbox (Post 4573794)
29 yrs without a car and now suddenly you cant be without one? holy crap that is the most amazing thing ive read on this forum. congrats to you. now im really convinced you dont need a car. werent you much happier before?

In a way less stressed but happier without a car? no, cause i had no mobility and always getting people to drive me around sucked and felt like i was still 16. I was 29 for crying out loud and ha dad driving me to go get lunch or run errands...ya not exactly attractive to the girls. No need to remind me, 29yrs old to get my first car...I know thats pathetic. I dont tell just anyone that, definitely not anyone in person outside of family. Try going out on dates when you dont drive, try meeting with professional clients without a car, not exactly fun. I kept getting hassled for years from outside family when i was going to get a car.

MindBomber 11-22-2011 11:59 PM

THIS IS A WARNING.

Please keep all posts in this thread mature and constructive, failure to do so will lead to points and a temporary access ban from the site. Clearly Civicnoobie is in a legitimate crisis, show why this forum is great and support him, instead of breaking him down like most would.

MindBomber 11-23-2011 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by gearbox (Post 4573794)

Don't forget, it also gets extremely cold in Alberta, for a few weeks last year it was actually colder than the Arctic poles. Taking a bus during the winter in that climate is tough.

Bounce the DJ 11-23-2011 12:03 AM

You shouldn't worry too much about being 30 and just owning your first car. It to each on his own. Some are financially secure earlier or later in life than others. Nothing to embarrassed about. Can't worry too much about what other think or say. Only you can make yourself happy. Take care of yourself first and be happy with yourself.

If you can get around with a car for now sell it or part it out for money towards the next ride.

sdaidoji 11-23-2011 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Civicnoobie (Post 4573798)
try meeting with professional clients without a car, not exactly fun.

out of subject, i know, and out of curiosity - what did ya do for a living? just curious, not being harsh or anything

PS: don't go to too much details in the net (advice)

edited: saw yer edit now

gearbox 11-23-2011 12:17 AM

my post wasnt sarcasm btw. i know plenty of people without cars and they are very happy. if you think like you need a car to fit in, that is really bad. i sure wouldnt want a girl that only went out with me because i had a car. how shallow can you get. 29 yrs without a car is a huge positive in my book and people should be asking about how you did it. the bottom line is you need a car to get places. work, store, etc. but if you can get to those places without a car, then you never really needed one in the first place.

here is another idea. you can rent cars when you need one to go out or do stuff. there are really good prices if you know where to look and there is no burden at all other than filling gas in. and you get to drive something different all the time.

Civicnoobie 11-23-2011 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Bounce the DJ (Post 4573805)
You shouldn't worry too much about being 30 and just owning your first car. It to each on his own. Some are financially secure earlier or later in life than others. Nothing to embarrassed about. Can't worry too much about what other think or say. Only you can make yourself happy. Take care of yourself first and be happy with yourself.

If you can get around with a car for now sell it or part it out for money towards the next ride.

The only thing is, i just dont know if i could mustard the courage to do it because it would be incredibly selfish of me after owning it for only 14 months and also dropping about $11k into the car so selling it, i would just lose way too much and my family would be so pissed. Words couldnt even describe how upset they would be. Remember, my parents are still pissed i still havent fully paid off credit card balance yet (still owe about $3500).

Originally Posted by VTEC-2.0 (Post 4573819)
Your decision.If it's stressing you out this much,think of the positives that come without a car,but the negatives without a car.Decide which negative you'd rather live with.29 years without a car?That's a good thing,less pollution.

I wont be going carless again. Pretty hard to be in your 30s living close to city limits without a car.

Originally Posted by sdaidoji (Post 4573809)
out of subject, i know, and out of curiosity - what did ya do for a living? just curious, not being harsh or anything

PS: don't go to too much details in the net (advice)

edited: saw yer edit now

Well right now im unemployed. Even when i do im pretty much a paycheque to paycheque person cause i work pretty much dead end mediocre paying jobs.

VTEC-4.0 11-23-2011 12:23 AM

Your decision.If it's stressing you out this much,think of the positives that come without a car,but the negatives without a car.Decide which negative you'd rather live with.29 years without a car?That's a good thing,less pollution.

gearbox 11-23-2011 12:25 AM

anyway the simplest way of dealing with problems in life, at least for me, is to ask yourself what are my options. when you are deep into a problem, the only way out is a resolving decision. lay out your viable options, and choose one. that ends the problem. for example lets say my tire blew out. i cant just leave it flat because its a problem and needs to be fixed. so my options are either get the tire repaired or buy a new one. i decide to get it repaired, and problem solved. you cannot let yourself get caught up with petty problems when there is so much out there besides a car. it is, in the end, just a machine like a computer or a refrigerator.

Seby05 11-23-2011 12:28 AM

I believe the main issue here is that you look at ur car and wonder how others percieve you my friend... Its not a bmw or audi but its sure as hell better than a friggin geo metro and even better than driving nothing. 31 and driving a civic, so what? I got a 30 min drive everyday to work (yes one way only) and I see people driving all kinds of cars. Some of them im scared to follow closely cuz theyre exhaust might fall off. Then I see the same people coming in the bar on their lunch break in a suit and they have bank of america id tags. My point is dude be happy with what you have, a car doesnt define who u r at all. The end :D

VTEC-4.0 11-23-2011 12:32 AM

31 and driving a Civic?So what,there are members here over 30 that drive it and love it! (Sorry guys bwahaha). Probably feels pressured that he needs a car since a lot of people have cars and doesn't wanna be in that percent that don't.Doesn't matter what you drive.I drive a BMW and feel no different.People don't look at me differently.

Civicnoobie 11-23-2011 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by gearbox (Post 4573822)
anyway the simplest way of dealing with problems in life, at least for me, is to ask yourself what are my options. when you are deep into a problem, the only way out is a resolving decision. lay out your viable options, and choose one. that ends the problem. for example lets say my tire blew out. i cant just leave it flat because its a problem and needs to be fixed. so my options are either get the tire repaired or buy a new one. i decide to get it repaired, and problem solved. you cannot let yourself get caught up with petty problems when there is so much out there besides a car. it is, in the end, just a machine like a computer or a refrigerator.

Realistically i should only have one option and thats to not let this get to me. When things bother me, they stick on my mind too well (yes to the obsessive level), and then it affects and disrupts my everyday life. But today, tonight i think is just the boiling point that i reached. I need to calm down and try to get my thoughts together.

anibis 11-23-2011 12:35 AM

What are the problems with the car? The throttle issue? I know cars can be frustrating as hell but you will figure it out, we've all been there. These cars are very easy to work on although they can be a pain to troubleshoot.

You said you'd do a MT swap, is the auto trans your big worry? I have a 2005 5-speed that's had a noisy ISB (transmission bearing) for 12,000 miles now. It doesn't worry me, it's just something I have to take care of. Older cars are rarely perfect, that doesn't mean they aren't safe.

I love my car, have owned it for 7 years and driven 123,000 miles and it's been a fantastic car. I too have dumped a bunch of cash into the car in the past 6 months because things have needed replaced, I don't look at the car like its a POS, it's just time catching up with it, that's why people buy new cars. I'm sure if you owned the car since it was new you would think differently.

VTEC-4.0 11-23-2011 12:36 AM

Wait I'm missing something though?Mind explaining me why you dislike this car?

Seby05 11-23-2011 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by gearbox (Post 4573822)

I completely agree, as long as it get's u from A to C ( B is when u stop and kick it with some people or get some food/drinks :D)

Bounce the DJ 11-23-2011 12:43 AM

Holy cow!! You dropped 11k on the car?!? Yikes!

I guess right now...ifyou feel as if you're stuck with it...at least for now until you get back on your feet financially, work on getting the car safe enough to get you from point a to point b. Sell some of you aftermarket parts and use that money to fix it for safety. Te last thing on your mind should be trying to convert it into a manual trans.

gearbox 11-23-2011 12:45 AM

that shouldnt make you feel bad. i havent had a job that lasted more than 6 months since i finished grad school in 2008. dont blame yourself for that when nobody is hiring. im about to go apply to mcdonalds again. last time they turned me down cause they had too many people. ive had my civic for 10 yrs and im 31 yrs old now. will prolly keep it until the trans blows up and deal with it when that happens. who cares what you drive, i see people of all ages driving civics including middle aged men and older ladies. it wouldnt be a best selling car if everyone thought it sucked and they were too old for it. if you do feel like you are unhappy, think of all the people out there in the millions who have it much worse. they will never own a car their entire life, they will not have a place to live, no food, they have to drink water from public water fountains to stay alive. some are already dead because of cancer or other disease when they were 20 yrs old. you only get one life. once its over, thats it. nobody will care what you did, who you were, how much money you had, or what material things you collected. so you might as well enjoy it while you can instead of wasting time worrying about car problems. now get out there and be the best civicnoobie you can be.

Originally Posted by Civicnoobie (Post 4573818)
Well right now im unemployed. Even when i do im pretty much a paycheque to paycheque person cause i work pretty much dead end mediocre paying jobs.

VTEC-4.0 11-23-2011 12:49 AM

^ Effing standing ovation for you.That was the best thing I ever read on this forum.No joke

MindBomber 11-23-2011 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Civicnoobie (Post 4573827)
Realistically i should only have one option and thats to not let this get to me. When things bother me, they stick on my mind too well (yes to the obsessive level), and then it affects and disrupts my everyday life. But today, tonight i think is just the boiling point that i reached. I need to calm down and try to get my thoughts together.

Calm down, get your thoughts together.

To your credit, you've come a long way since joining the site in terms of general car knowledge and the ability to handle stuff. I've definitely noticed it and you should be proud of that man, a lot of people are completely car illiterate for their entire lives.

Civicnoobie 11-23-2011 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by anibis (Post 4573828)
What are the problems with the car? The throttle issue? I know cars can be frustrating as hell but you will figure it out, we've all been there. These cars are very easy to work on although they can be a pain to troubleshoot.

You said you'd do a MT swap, is the auto trans your big worry? I have a 2005 5-speed that's had a noisy ISB (transmission bearing) for 12,000 miles now. It doesn't worry me, it's just something I have to take care of. Older cars are rarely perfect, that doesn't mean they aren't safe.

I love my car, have owned it for 7 years and driven 123,000 miles and it's been a fantastic car. I too have dumped a bunch of cash into the car in the past 6 months because things have needed replaced, I don't look at the car like its a POS, it's just time catching up with it, that's why people buy new cars. I'm sure if you owned the car since it was new you would think differently.

Thinking about it tonight and past few days, its just the fact that ive wasted (not spent but wasted) so much money on a 10 yr old car and for the most part ive gotten no benefit out of it. Its literally money down the drain. And i cant go back time, so im having a really tough time accepting my mistakes. Like...

- regret not getting MT. I Drive like a grandma now, but Will have to drive like a turtle now barely pressing the gas for the rest of the time i own this car. Im just so upset about this i just wanna go smash my car right now it makes me so mad.

- too many sqeaks with the cars body and it just feels cheap

- wish i never got introduced to drum brakes, theyre nothing but a pain. Ive wasted so much on rear suspension work its very upsetting. Ive pretty much replaced the entire suspension on the car..

All this could have been put towards a newer car in the first place. But i was not expecting to spend this much when i bought this car.

gearbox 11-23-2011 12:57 AM

i feel the same way, and so do many others. i've had paint flake off the roof that i rattle canned so it wouldnt rust. the fender started coming apart, my sideskirts are two bolts away from falling off, the trans is about to blow, and the suspension needs an overhaul. while i would love to throw another $10k into it for a new paint job and parts, its not realistic. what if you try to make it new again and the engine blows, or something else goes wrong. the golden rule with cars is, fix as little as possible and never replace something unless it breaks. cars get old and fall apart. there is no stopping it and its not even worth thinking about. i used to get pissed when i found door dings, but as soon as i had the door fixed, the same thing would happen. so i stopped caring. there is only so much you can do to keep a car looking nice. give it a wash and wax, then call it a day. i think if you find other things to occupy your time, you will find yourself worrying less about the car.

Originally Posted by Civicnoobie (Post 4573827)

sdaidoji 11-23-2011 01:01 AM

main things to ponder:
right now - 11k last year of ownership.
future - how much can you hold yerself to not to spend on it?
if it seems not possible, think on yer parents. would they take 11k a year?
it the math does not seems too good, then get remove the parts you swapped and still have them in someplace, sell them. then sell the car.
will you regret? most likely so. will it be better for the future? yes.
all is the final math that counts. that's what you need to focus. family and future. not the image of driving a car, which in the end does not account for much. many had their cars lost in accidents - they moved forward. look forward. keep in mind the past to avoid past mistakes, but never forget looking forward. (end - got too cocky fer a day)