Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/182-7th-generation-civic-2001-2005)
-   -   01 Civic hesitates / stumbles on acceleration...help (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/182-7th-generation-civic-2001-2005/343392-01-civic-hesitates-stumbles-acceleration-help.html)

jackoncruzpr 08-28-2011 08:49 AM

01 Civic hesitates / stumbles on acceleration...help

Been trying to figure this car out for a while now. In jan of 2010 it had the transmission overhauled. Haven't had any issues with it until now. It stumbles and hesitates sometimes right after it is turned on from sitting overnight. Does it once and goes away.

Then while siting lets say at a red light, when I go to give it gas it stumbes for a second then clears up.

No CEL's and no codes stored. No overheating as headgasket was done about 10K miles ago.

Anyone point me in the right direction?

green01civic 08-28-2011 09:50 AM

Re: 01 Civic hesitates / stumbles on acceleration...help

Hesitation/stumbling could be a lot of things. Do a full tune-up, might take you two hours or so, but will likely fix your problem.

jackoncruzpr 08-28-2011 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by green01civic (Post 4558605)
Hesitation/stumbling could be a lot of things. Do a full tune-up, might take you two hours or so, but will likely fix your problem.

Changed plugs to some new NGK's yesterday. Air filter was changed about a month ago. I think thats about it as far as tune up on this caar unless you guys can tell me what else to check...

lollygagger 08-28-2011 10:58 AM

i was gonna say plugs but you beat me to it

green01civic 08-28-2011 11:38 AM

Tune-up things to do after your plugs and air filter...

To Clean:
- Clean Throttle Body bore+butterfly with Throttle Body Cleaner and a Toothbrush (if you remove the TB to clean, you can reuse the gasket as long as it isn't cracked/damaged).
- Remove IAC from Throttle Body and Clean with Throttle Body Cleaner.
- Remove PCV and Clean with Throttle Body Cleaner (spray inside and shake to dislodge junk and ensure it is operating properly). Inspect the PCV hose for damage and replace if necessary. (PCV washer can be reused)
- Disconnect EGR valve and spray inside of it with Throttle Body Cleaner (You will need to scrape off and replace this gasket).

To Replace:
- Replace the Fuel Filter (in-tank).

Other that can help:
- After the remainder of your tune-up and the fuel filter is replaced, dump a bottle of high-PEA fuel system cleaner in your gas tank at your next fill-up and run to "E" to let it maximize its cleaning time. (a bottle of Red Line SI-1 or the larger 20oz. bottle of Techron Concentrate). This will clean injectors and intake valves.

Other things that won't help your hesitation, but is a good idea while you're at it:
- Clean your battery terminals with a wire brush, and coat with a light layer of dielectric grease to prevent any corrosion.
- Check and top up your fluids, inspect belts, and check your tire pressure. (Don't count on your quick-lube place to do it, I've had them miss a tire with low pressure even though they were all "checked".)

jackoncruzpr 08-28-2011 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by green01civic (Post 4558618)
Tune-up things to do after your plugs and air filter...

To Clean:
- Clean Throttle Body bore+butterfly with Throttle Body Cleaner and a Toothbrush (if you remove the TB to clean, you can reuse the gasket as long as it isn't cracked/damaged).
- Remove IAC from Throttle Body and Clean with Throttle Body Cleaner.
- Remove PCV and Clean with Throttle Body Cleaner (spray inside and shake to dislodge junk and ensure it is operating properly). Inspect the PCV hose for damage and replace if necessary. (PCV washer can be reused)
- Disconnect EGR valve and spray inside of it with Throttle Body Cleaner (You will need to scrape off and replace this gasket).

To Replace:
- Replace the Fuel Filter (in-tank).

Other that can help:
- After the remainder of your tune-up and the fuel filter is replaced, dump a bottle of high-PEA fuel system cleaner in your gas tank at your next fill-up and run to "E" to let it maximize its cleaning time. (a bottle of Red Line SI-1 or the larger 20oz. bottle of Techron Concentrate). This will clean injectors and intake valves.

Other things that won't help your hesitation, but is a good idea while you're at it:
- Clean your battery terminals with a wire brush, and coat with a light layer of dielectric grease to prevent any corrosion.
- Check and top up your fluids, inspect belts, and check your tire pressure. (Don't count on your quick-lube place to do it, I've had them miss a tire with low pressure even though they were all "checked".)

That strainer in the tank isn't sold separately from what I have seen online. I've taken the pump assembly out before to look at it.

I'll have to clean the TB and IACV when I have time. maybe there are some instructions here. This car doesnt have a EGR valve from what I know about it.

green01civic 08-28-2011 02:32 PM

I have an 01 Civic EX, so I don't think you car can be too different... I replaced my filter just fine with this part: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&parttype=6208

^ BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0433012, $29.79 @ RockAuto

And there should be an EGR valve...

civicbyrc 08-28-2011 05:12 PM

You could have a dead spot in your throttle position sensor. It would cause your issue and not throw a cell. You need a volt meter to check it though. If you have a volt meter than just hook up the positive lead to the signal wire and the neg. Lead to ground. If it's bad you'll see a dip or spike in the meter whiel opening the throttle. The most likely cause of your issue is the ignition system, pull out the coil packs and look for white lines on the boots that connect to the plugs. You could be getting a lose of the secondary ignition through the boot. The EGR could also be sticking, but that would cause you issues all the time.

jackoncruzpr 08-28-2011 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by green01civic (Post 4558657)
I have an 01 Civic EX, so I don't think you car can be too different... I replaced my filter just fine with this part: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&parttype=6208

^ BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0433012, $29.79 @ RockAuto

And there should be an EGR valve...

Thanks i didnt know that piece was the fuel filter. I thought the pump just had a strainer and thats it. Ive taken the pump off before. Didnt know that piece was the filter.

As far as EGR i dont think the SOHC has one.

jackoncruzpr 08-28-2011 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by civicbyrc (Post 4558678)
You could have a dead spot in your throttle position sensor. It would cause your issue and not throw a cell. You need a volt meter to check it though. If you have a volt meter than just hook up the positive lead to the signal wire and the neg. Lead to ground. If it's bad you'll see a dip or spike in the meter whiel opening the throttle. The most likely cause of your issue is the ignition system, pull out the coil packs and look for white lines on the boots that connect to the plugs. You could be getting a lose of the secondary ignition through the boot. The EGR could also be sticking, but that would cause you issues all the time.

Thanks. i will check this asap. Just need to find which wires what.

jackoncruzpr 08-29-2011 10:44 AM

Anyone know where I can get a TPS from that isnt off a used TB?

jackoncruzpr 08-29-2011 10:08 PM

I went ahead and ordered the pump filter and the strainer. Hopefully that solves my issue since a friend of mine had the same thing happen and turne dout it was the filter. I'll keep you posted.

jackoncruzpr 09-03-2011 05:43 PM

Changed the pump filter and the strainer. Details in this thread I made into a How To:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ml#post4559759

gearbox 09-03-2011 06:55 PM

so was the strainer clogged at all, or just the filter. and any pics of the actual filter? i was thinking they only had strainers for this car.

jackoncruzpr 09-03-2011 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by gearbox (Post 4559771)
so was the strainer clogged at all, or just the filter. and any pics of the actual filter? i was thinking they only had strainers for this car.

the strainer looked dirty but it still was able to pass air and gas through it. Its the upper filter that gets all the small sediments in it.

marccayen 09-04-2011 03:59 AM

So did it fix your issue at all? I have a 05 civ and im not sure if it exactly the same as what your car is doing but I get hesitation in acceleration starting from 1st at times. The car starts off then it slumps down and then picks back up and goes. It might be due for a new clutch soon but I am not sure if thats whats really causing the issue. I recently had the timing belt changed and I got odd backfires when driving a little hard when rev matching and downshifting. So im am not sure if the timing is off and may be causing the dirty start in acceleration and backfires or the backfires are simply caused by the CAI and stock exhaust taking in too much air and that the stumble in the accerlation is a whole different issue.

Anyways let me know if this fixed your issue and if the way I describe my issue sounds like the same as yours. I rather change smaller parts before jumping to larger issues/costs and find out that it wasn't the problem.

jackoncruzpr 09-06-2011 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by marccayen (Post 4559838)
So did it fix your issue at all? I have a 05 civ and im not sure if it exactly the same as what your car is doing but I get hesitation in acceleration starting from 1st at times. The car starts off then it slumps down and then picks back up and goes. It might be due for a new clutch soon but I am not sure if thats whats really causing the issue. I recently had the timing belt changed and I got odd backfires when driving a little hard when rev matching and downshifting. So im am not sure if the timing is off and may be causing the dirty start in acceleration and backfires or the backfires are simply caused by the CAI and stock exhaust taking in too much air and that the stumble in the accerlation is a whole different issue.

Anyways let me know if this fixed your issue and if the way I describe my issue sounds like the same as yours. I rather change smaller parts before jumping to larger issues/costs and find out that it wasn't the problem.

This seems to have cleare dup my problems as before I could reproduce the problem all the time. I cant now that the filters have been changed.

Balzdpr 09-07-2011 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by marccayen (Post 4559838)

Dude, are you saying you stomp on the pedal and the car rears up then kinda passes out then comes back up with a fury? Cause if so my 05' does that to. I'll come around a corner, lets say the roundabout to an on ramp, at about 35 or 40 and then punch the shit out of my accelerator and that car will gush some speed. But when I start from a dead stop the engine slumps then winds rite out like a ****ing cheetah on steroids. I get little horsepower out of her so the acceleration isnt that great. However, I would like to get all the power from the moment I stomp on the pedal or press the pedal. So if what your saying above is what im saying then that also is my problem.
:russian:

civicbyrc 09-07-2011 11:43 PM

I did't know that there was a filter at the top of the fuel pump. Good post.

marccayen 09-08-2011 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Balzdpr (Post 4560377)
Dude, are you saying you stomp on the pedal and the car rears up then kinda passes out then comes back up with a fury? Cause if so my 05' does that to. I'll come around a corner, lets say the roundabout to an on ramp, at about 35 or 40 and then punch the shit out of my accelerator and that car will gush some speed. But when I start from a dead stop the engine slumps then winds rite out like a ****ing cheetah on steroids. I get little horsepower out of her so the acceleration isnt that great. However, I would like to get all the power from the moment I stomp on the pedal or press the pedal. So if what your saying above is what im saying then that also is my problem.

Yup thats pretty much it.

Balzdpr 09-09-2011 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by marccayen (Post 4560626)
Yup thats pretty much it.

I read the thread on how to repair this issue(great job by the way) and recognized the comment of (having to turn the car over longer than usual), is that a common dead give away for having to do this repair? I dont have that problem unless im running the old girl real low on fuel. I have, however, slightly tugged on the accelerator cable and felt some slack in it. Could that cause the same or simular result talked about in this thread. Could slack be normal or should that cable be tight as a nun. I have not been able to locate any other identifiers thus far and my services could be better but they are not lacking or poorly attended.

marccayen 09-09-2011 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Balzdpr (Post 4560816)
I read the thread on how to repair this issue(great job by the way) and recognized the comment of (having to turn the car over longer than usual), is that a common dead give away for having to do this repair? I dont have that problem unless im running the old girl real low on fuel. I have, however, slightly tugged on the accelerator cable and felt some slack in it. Could that cause the same or simular result talked about in this thread. Could slack be normal or should that cable be tight as a nun. I have not been able to locate any other identifiers thus far and my services could be better but they are not lacking or poorly attended.

You actually helped me with my problem with your post. I went outside and checked my throttle cable and noticed quite a bit of slack. Your throttle cable should have slack but just enough to barely notice it. So what I did to diagnose my issue was remove my cai from the throttle body and had my buddy floor the accelerator down to the floor. I noticed that my throttle body wasn't opening 100%. I adjusted the cable and that seem to fix my slumping accerleration.:rockon:

Balzdpr 09-13-2011 10:48 AM

Cool. My slack is not great but it exist. I would say about a 16th of an inch slack before the throttle lever begins to move. I have cruse control in my EX. The cable in the back of the picture has the slack the cable in the fron has none. Do you think the cable in the back is the reular cable and not the cruse control cable? How does one tighten either or? Here is a pick of the cable I am refering to.

Balzdpr 09-13-2011 10:55 AM

shit cant figure out how to put pictures on here. But it is the cable in the back nearest the firewall.:russian:

jackoncruzpr 09-13-2011 05:42 PM

Im not sure how to remove the slack on the throttle cable so I can't help you there.

I can however report that the car was taken on a 4 hour road trip this past weekend. No stumbling or anything after reaching our destination and having to go through the towns red lights or anything.

Problem solved.

Balzdpr 09-14-2011 07:53 AM

Cool. Thats good news. I'll have the slack looked at straight away.:russian:

imsoleful 09-14-2011 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Balzdpr (Post 4561586)
shit cant figure out how to put pictures on here. But it is the cable in the back nearest the firewall.:russian:

Use www.tinypic.com then upload ur picture. Copy paste here the link for forums. I want to see cos i have the same problem

motekeeper 08-23-2017 11:12 PM

NAPA Auto parts