Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/182-7th-generation-civic-2001-2005)
-   -   What is VTEC exactly? (explination inside) (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/182-7th-generation-civic-2001-2005/340273-what-vtec-exactly-explination-inside.html)

Brian1037 04-20-2011 06:18 PM

What is VTEC exactly? (explination inside)

I really wasn't sure where to put this, so if a mod could kindly move it to the right spot, that'd be nice.

For anyone wondering exactly how VTEC works, here's an excellent video explaining it.

[autostream]http://autostream.com/ibcivicforums/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=103&t ransactionid=1303341497-17317719392&posted_by=Brian1037_www.civicforums.co m&youtube_video_id=nc800hkqY2M[/autostream]

sdaidoji 04-20-2011 07:01 PM

Re: What is VTEC exactly? (explination inside)

Good one. more visual explanation of the system than only words.

I will have to warn though that that is true for the B/K-series, they have a more aggressive cam that is engaged.

The D-series however have a different VTEC, called VTEC-E (Economy). basically you only have full 4 valves when VTEC activates, before that the D simply work as 3 and a 1/4 (or less) valve engine.

Activation method is same, what they activate is not.
Also, never mix this with the cam gear valve timing control (other makers) they just move the cam forth more or less
Only honda changes the cam lobe profile. The i-VTEC includes the cam gear position control as well.

lito99 04-20-2011 07:22 PM

Good Video!!!! Kudos man!

Brian1037 04-20-2011 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by sdaidoji (Post 4533067)
Good one. more visual explanation of the system than only words.

I will have to warn though that that is true for the B/K-series, they have a more aggressive cam that is engaged.

The D-series however have a different VTEC, called VTEC-E (Economy). basically you only have full 4 valves when VTEC activates, before that the D simply work as 3 and a 1/4 (or less) valve engine.

Activation method is same, what they activate is not.
Also, never mix this with the cam gear valve timing control (other makers) they just move the cam forth more or less
Only honda changes the cam lobe profile. The i-VTEC includes the cam gear position control as well.

I did not know any of that :tup:

You give really good explanations. Thanks for informing everyone :rockon:

@lito99 thank you :)

sdaidoji 04-20-2011 07:37 PM

the video by itself is good! finding and posting it is good :D :thumb:

MindBomber 04-20-2011 07:41 PM

Rep'd you

Brian1037 04-20-2011 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by MindBomber (Post 4533096)
Rep'd you

Aha thank you. Feels good to give something back for once :tup:

gearbox 04-20-2011 07:49 PM

i love vtec

sdaidoji 04-20-2011 07:51 PM

follow the explanation of the VTEC-E - lots of controversy, but it was cleared in the end, so disregard all the bitching.
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...sy-solved.html

amamdani15 04-20-2011 11:35 PM

he didnt explain what the vtec sticker does though...i put 8 of those on my car and im sure i added like 100hp+ i just dont know how my car puts it onto the road ;)

nice find

BlueEM2 04-21-2011 05:38 AM

Great video.. :)

thefatalepic 04-21-2011 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by amamdani15 (Post 4533193)
he didnt explain what the vtec sticker does though...i put 8 of those on my car and im sure i added like 100hp+ i just dont know how my car puts it onto the road ;)

nice find

When I get a chance I'll check to see how my CIVICFORUMS.COM sticker works - I'm sure the technology is similar. I slapped one of those babies on my bumper and got 10 whole horsepowers from it.

EDIT: The truth is I don't really have a CIVICFORUMS.COM sticker yet, I'm waiting for red ones to be available. I really got those 10 horsepowers from stick on breather vents.

amamdani15 04-23-2011 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by thefatalepic (Post 4533371)
When I get a chance I'll check to see how my CIVICFORUMS.COM sticker works - I'm sure the technology is similar. I slapped one of those babies on my bumper and got 10 whole horsepowers from it.

EDIT: The truth is I don't really have a CIVICFORUMS.COM sticker yet, I'm waiting for red ones to be available. I really got those 10 horsepowers from stick on breather vents.

i havent gotten a civicfourms sticker yet, im waiting to tint my car first lol...and the best part about those vtec stickers was that i didnt even have to buy an EX.

my favorite breather vents are the ones that have carbon fiber in them, although they dont let any air into the engine bay, im sure that they add 10 horsepower OVER the ones without carbon fiber. only because carbon fiber=more power! (add tim taylor grunt here)

chigger78 04-25-2011 11:20 PM

best thing ever