Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Electronics (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/330-electronics)
-   -   Remotes won't lock doors but unlocks doors (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/330-electronics/324135-remotes-wont-lock-doors-but-unlocks-doors.html)

sdnomad 11-30-2009 08:55 PM

Remotes won't lock doors but unlocks doors

I bought a 2004 civic lx and it did not have the remotes. I bought 2 used remotes and programming the remotes went fine. But after they are programmed, the unlock buttons works, the panic buttons work, but the lock buttons do not do a thing. I know the lock buttons are sending a signal because I pushed them when programming the remotes and the locks cycled like they should.

Any ideas what might be the cause?

CraigW 12-01-2009 04:25 PM

Re: Remotes won't lock doors but unlocks doors

Are all the doors closed and key out of ignition when attempting locking ??

Do they lock o.k. when the drivers door is closed when using the lock/unlock button on the door ??

sdnomad 12-01-2009 05:45 PM

I have all the doors closed and key out of the ignition. I'm standing outside the car pushing the lock button on the remotes and it will not lock. If I push the drivers door lock down, all doors lock automatically. When I push the the unlock button on the remotes, it will unlock doors.

And the lock/unlock on the drivers door works fine.

Also, the interior light does not come on when drivers door opens. I don't know if that has anything to do with the lock buttons on the remotes not working.

CraigW 12-01-2009 06:00 PM

It may, check the black rubber covered plunger switch in the drivers door jamb. 1 screw to remove. It has a single wire.

They are easily broken.

You can use the passenger side switch to swap for testing, they are the same.

gearbox 12-01-2009 09:06 PM

yeah, if the dome light isnt working, your door switch is prolly broken, and the keyless thinks the door is open (and if the door is open, it will not lock the doors as a safety feature).

sdnomad 12-12-2009 04:06 PM

I should have said the dome light does not come on when any of the 4 doors are open. The dome light bulb is good because it does come on when the dome light is switched to on.

biobot93 01-30-2012 08:19 PM

this is the exact same thing happening to my car. mine have worked perfect for the last month until tonight. more help would be much apperciated!

04 EX em2 sedan

04 Honda Civic 01-30-2012 11:18 PM

If I am not mistaken, each button is programmed individually?

lazlong 01-30-2012 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by biobot93 (Post 4585814)
this is the exact same thing happening to my car. mine have worked perfect for the last month until tonight. more help would be much apperciated!

04 EX em2 sedan

Just check the door button(s).

biobot93 01-31-2012 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by gearbox (Post 4446732)
yeah, if the dome light isnt working, your door switch is prolly broken, and the keyless thinks the door is open (and if the door is open, it will not lock the doors as a safety feature).

this makes no sense to me, if it thinks the door is open, then why does the drivers side door lock when you push it down. or why isint the open door indicator on the dash on?

biobot93 01-31-2012 12:10 PM

i fixed mine, turns out it was one of the other doors that were open. so check your other door switches as well as the drivers

04 Honda Civic 01-31-2012 03:10 PM

Haha, who would of knew.. :rofl:

lazlong 01-31-2012 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by biobot93 (Post 4585927)
so check your other door switches as well as the drivers

From my earlier post- "Just check the door button(s)."

astateofmind 08-13-2013 07:13 PM

Hello,

i have a similar problem: when i unlock the doors it works, when i try to lock them using the controls it fails, i can hear 2 clicks from under the dashboard but nothing happens.

I had the same problem with the dome lights so i figured that there was a problem with the door switches, checked them - one was not in his place so i put it back and now seems to be ok with the dome lights: when i open a door it lights up (before it didn't) when i close it it shuts but the doors are still not locking with the controls. I supposed it still detects my doors as being open somehow.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

PS: the car is a 2001 Civic.

rwatson 10-12-2017 12:08 PM

Re: Remotes won't lock or unlock doors after programing my 2001 honda civic coupe 2 d

Originally Posted by sdnomad (Post 4446603)
I bought a 2004 civic lx and it did not have the remotes. I bought 2 used remotes and programming the remotes went fine. But after they are programmed, the unlock buttons works, the panic buttons work, but the lock buttons do not do a thing. I know the lock buttons are sending a signal because I pushed them when programming the remotes and the locks cycled like they should.

remotes

Trino 08-16-2018 04:32 PM

Could this also make the engine light come on? My doors are doing the same thing and it happened same time my engine light came on.

Colin42 08-16-2018 09:51 PM

Nope not related whatsoever.
either buy a scanner or go to a parts store to have them read the codes. Post a new thread with the code numbers Pxxxx format.

Trino 08-17-2018 01:22 PM

Ok thanks. I will do that.

Ray jr 10-08-2019 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by sdnomad (Post 4446603)

I have similar problem, when I try to lock my doors with remote all doors lock besidea the driver door. Any suggestions?

BrotatoChip 10-08-2019 01:56 PM

Possibly a bad lock actuator. You will need to remove the door panel and check if the actuator is getting power/ground when it should.

Colin42 10-08-2019 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by BrotatoChip (Post 4767583)
Possibly a bad lock actuator. You will need to remove the door panel and check if the actuator is getting power/ground when it should.

Could also be broken wires in the door harness

Juliarb 05-30-2023 11:46 AM

Thank you for the suggestion regarding one of the doors not being properly closed as I also had been having my key fob work as usual to unlock but not to lock the doors. The boot open indicator light was showing as something was jammed in the boot door when closed so although the boot was essentially shut, it was triggering the boot open indicator. It would never in a million years have occurred to me that this would stop the key fob from locking the car doors! Much appreciated for the helpful advice.