Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/182-7th-generation-civic-2001-2005)
-   -   What could cause this noise on my 05 LX (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/182-7th-generation-civic-2001-2005/295553-what-could-cause-noise-my-05-lx.html)

Hondalx 06-02-2007 04:48 PM

What could cause this noise on my 05 LX

This only happens in heavy rain storms, when driving 35 mph or faster my exhaust makes a really deep (like a hollow sound) and literally vibrates my whole center console. If I accelerate it somewhat deminishes, yet if I let the car slow itself down I don't hear it. I had the muffler shop that installed my exhaust check it out and found no leaks or weak spots, even had the dealer check it out and they too couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. Anyone possibly know what may be the cause of this?

speedfoos 06-02-2007 05:55 PM

Re: What could cause this noise on my 05 LX

Don't know. My '03 does this too, but it started happening after I swapped the exhaust. Mine is not speed-dependent, just puddle-dependent. I have a theory, but I don't know how sound it is. I think its water that gets splashed up in between the catalytic converter heat shield and the cat itself. It vibrates as it evaporates from the heat. Like I said its just a theory and sounds pretty dumb now that I've typed it out. Anyway, hopefully someone else has a better idea of the cause.

Matteo 06-03-2007 04:06 AM

:shrug: i have the same problem!

on my 05 lx.

CraigW 06-03-2007 08:26 AM

This contains some info that may help. -> http://www.geocities.com/pfeifferper...oughPuddle.pdf

These were provided by a member here.

speedfoos 06-03-2007 09:20 AM

Nice post. Have some rep.

Now I'm gonna have to crawl under my see exactly which section is being thermally shocked and do something about it. I should have some spare exhaust wrap after I do my mani and downpipe so that may do the trick.

2k1_Stockie 07-02-2007 12:56 AM

lmao, i thought i was the only one that had this problem. Even after i redid my exhaust piping to 2.25 straight piping, i still had the problem, thought it was the header section.

Medic_06 07-02-2007 12:12 PM

Hey guys,
I had this problem as well. I have a dx. same as lx exhaust set up. I had the exact same problem. hit water and exhaust vibrated the whole car.
there is a section in the center of the car the crosses over like some kinda cross member. it goes from midline to passenger side. the custom exhaust shrinks up and kits the spot on the floor where it crosses. there is like a notch there as well that is specifically for the exhaust to cross over. I just got rotted one day, started the car up got her nice and warm, put a hockey stick between the exhaust and the cross member and spray the garden hose over the exhaust. when the exhaust shrank, it didn't go back up in place..then I gat it a friendly little tug down ward and way to go. FIXED...

Matteo 07-02-2007 09:42 PM

what tha?? ^^ that sounds confusing...can u explain a little more and show pics please?

do u have aftermarket exhaust?

i have a magnaflow cat-back and my stock LX header and still have this annoying problem :_disgust:

Medic_06 07-02-2007 10:09 PM

haha..what tha?? is right..
I don't have any pics right now..but if I get a chance tomorrow I'll snap a couple for ya. I don't have stock, and I don't have a brand name..figured it would be cheaper to get it done at a local shop..but NOT...
Yeah I'll try to get some pics for ya..I got stock mani too..
The exhaust on our cars leaves the cat, goes down the car, and like right under the passenger seat it makes a Z bend. When I used to drive the car in the rain that used to hit the floor, and vibrate the crap out of everything. was kinda annoying.
I'll get some pics as soon as I can..

Matteo 07-02-2007 11:27 PM

sick...thanks man

ya on my magnaflow...1 night 2 pipes came disconnected and then it rained and it was like HELLA loud lol...so i got that part welded back together. but ya it still is a little loud in the rain

Medic_06 07-03-2007 12:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey man,
here is a pic..as you can see my exhuast is flattened out there now..first time I noticed it actually...oh well..
good luck to ya on that one though..cause you got a magnaflow kit. I know that you don't wanna be bucklin that up.. and I don't have a cue what that crap is on my pipe..first time for sein that too..

speedfoos 07-03-2007 12:52 PM

Hmm. I might have to get under there with a hammer and coax some of that support out of the way....

02civic21 07-03-2007 01:07 PM

Lx has a heat shield a little after the down pipe mine was doing the same thing and i took it to meineke and they had to flatten the exhaust around that heatshield but just a little and it quit

Matteo 07-04-2007 01:39 AM

eh..well i dont want to mess with it myself. I might go to meineke in future but its not a big deal right now

my bottom of my exhaust is weird too...but its cuz i parked over some plastic crap in my driveway ounce and didnt kno it was under my car..and it melted on a little lol so i ripped some off..but it looks a little weird now :_disgust:

civicchino 08-19-2007 01:13 PM

there is a pipe inside of the down pipe the needs to be weldedso that it dont vibrate. I put a customized pipe on mine and it vibrated like u are saying in the rain. I took it back and they fixed it by welding it right.

Matteo 08-19-2007 03:05 PM

so wat should i do...cuz i have stock header/cat and then a magna flow cat back