Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/182-7th-generation-civic-2001-2005)
-   -   2001 LX blowing cold air from one vent, warmer air from other vent (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/182-7th-generation-civic-2001-2005/369885-2001-lx-blowing-cold-air-one-vent-warmer-air-other-vent.html)

eddie1976 04-16-2017 05:57 PM

2001 LX blowing cold air from one vent, warmer air from other vent

Alright guys, having all sorts of issues with several civics. This one is a 2001 LX. Dad complained about not getting enough cold air with the ac on. I checked the air temp coming out of the driver side vent, it was about 58, maybe less. I checked the other 3 vents, it was about 70. I read somewhere to check the hot air too. So, I warmed up the car, put the heat on high, blowing on high. The driver side vent was about 165 degrees, the others were hovering between 142-145. They all should be the same.

I originally thought it was low ac charge, but with the heat temp not matching, I read that it is likely the blend door actuator??

What do you think? If I have to replace the actuator, how involved is that?

My parents have a pair of civics that are 13 and 16 years old. Less than 90k miles on each. But everything seems to be going on them.

ezone 04-16-2017 06:57 PM

Re: 2001 LX blowing cold air from one vent, warmer air from other vent

Probably low on freon, needs AC system recharged.

eddie1976 04-17-2017 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4722699)
Probably low on freon, needs AC system recharged.

Would the low freon cause different temp heated air to come from the different vets?

I have heard mixed reviews on the DIY ac charging kits. How much will a shop charge (reasonable guessitmate) for this if I end up going that way?

Thanks

Wankenstein 04-17-2017 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by eddie1976 (Post 4722720)
Would the low freon cause different temp heated air to come from the different vents?

It can. Did on a BMW 325 I owned briefly. Hopefully,for your sake the freon is just low but, not leaking out.

Originally Posted by eddie1976 (Post 4722720)
I have heard mixed reviews on the DIY ac charging kits. How much will a shop charge (reasonable guessitmate) for this if I end up going that way? Thanks

I'm not going to pretend to know much about HVAC but, I know enough to stay away from the DIY cans. If you don't already have a trusted mechanic then try to find positive google reviews on local independently owned garages that have been in business for at five least years. Call them, describe the symptom and ask their opinion, cost to put on HVAC gauges/machine. A mechanic may suggest to do an evacuation, recovery and refill. Evacuation (pressure hold) may help to determine a possible leak.

My guess is that a mechanic would charge a half hour or hour of labor time but, not charge for freon.

Ezone will hopefully chime in again to shed more light (knowledge).

ezone 04-17-2017 11:26 AM

I checked the air temp coming out of the driver side vent, it was about 58, maybe less. I checked the other 3 vents, it was about 70.
It's so common that Honda issued service info about the phenomenon.

Would the low freon cause different temp heated air to come from the different vents?
Was the AC still running at the time?

A little bit of heater temperature difference between vents can be expected, but a partially restricted heater core could possibly cause wildly uneven vent temps. I can't tell you a specific number limit though.

I have heard mixed reviews on the DIY ac charging kits.
It's real damn easy to screw up your AC. Few buyers actually know enough about AC to do it successfully...on purpose LOL

I hate that the average joe can buy kits and hack their car, ruin their system, and vent refrigerant to the atmosphere unchecked, but *I* as a professional am bound by EPA regulations, subject to large penalties if caught servicing an AC system in a manner other than specified by their regulations.

How much will a shop charge (reasonable guessitmate) for this if I end up going that way? Thanks
Call your local shops and inquire.

eddie1976 04-17-2017 12:22 PM

ezone, thanks. I checked with a shop, he said about $100, the kit is about 40, so for 60 more, i can have it done right. That is what I will do.

eddie1976 04-24-2017 03:47 PM

Update: Took the car to a garage, the guy added some gas, cost me $95 out the door. The air is nice and cold.

Thanks!

NDNV 04-25-2017 08:54 AM

Now you're good for another 16 years. :rofl: