Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/182-7th-generation-civic-2001-2005)
-   -   Air filter and etc (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/182-7th-generation-civic-2001-2005/368801-air-filter-etc.html)

Kristoliquid 11-19-2016 10:28 AM

Air filter and etc

Is it normal, even though i change my engine air filter often, that dust just get in the box and sticks to the plastic?

When dirt and etc gets through the filter and some goes in that hole, when you change the oil, does some of that crap gets flushed out with the draining of the oil? Or it stays inside the engine forever?

Thx.

ezone 11-19-2016 07:13 PM

Re: Air filter and etc

A dirty filter filters out fine particles better than a new clean filter.

Many filters can let quite large particles pass through, and some of the gaskets let unfiltered air sneak around the edges.

OneJzSupra 11-20-2016 04:10 AM

Also it depends on if you are constantly driving through a dust bowl or not.... I mean they can only work so well at that point.

gts 11-28-2016 12:03 PM

Not to hi-jack the OP's thread/ question but are some air filters (mfg's) considered to be better than others?

ezone 11-28-2016 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by gts (Post 4716232)
Not to hi-jack the OP's thread/ question but are some air filters (mfg's) considered to be better than others?

Certainly!

gts 11-28-2016 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4716233)
Certainly!

Ok now that we've established that..... LOL
So which ones are considered the better ones?
(For the engine bay - not the cabin filters, and/ or the evap filter - though info on the better ones for those would be appreciated too)

ezone 11-28-2016 08:24 PM

Brands? I don't have suggestions for you...... I use OE.

Just compare any aftermarket filter offering against a genuine Honda filter, holding in your hands, and side by side.

Lesser filters use filter media (element) that lets bigger particles pass through, the better ones use a thick fabric-like element instead of paper

I've seen various problems with the gaskets around the edges of many cheap filters, they might be too thin to seal up when the air box is closed or the gasket gets distorted/comes off and can't seal.

OneJzSupra 11-29-2016 07:02 AM

I just made my own setup using a K&N POD filter and extra 2.5" intercooler piping I had sitting around from my supra.

SammySC 12-02-2016 04:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Kristoliquid (Post 4715854)
Is it normal, even though i change my engine air filter often, that dust just get in the box and sticks to the plastic?

When dirt and etc gets through the filter and some goes in that hole, when you change the oil, does some of that crap gets flushed out with the draining of the oil? Or it stays inside the engine forever?

Thx.

I recommend you do away with the factory air intake (very restrictive) and go with a short ram air system. This is what I have on my 02 EX coupe, K&N short ram air filter with a dry charger on it (it's off in the picture). It keeps water off your intake filter when it rains as well as bugs, dust etc. It will extend the life of your filter.

SammySC 12-07-2016 04:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I finally got around to installing the dry charger on my K&N filter. I noticed a small drop of water inside the filter as I took it off. Dried it and installed the dry charger. I only plan to use this during the winter or on rainy days, I don't want to restrict the air flow. Attached is a picture of how it looks.