Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/182-7th-generation-civic-2001-2005)
-   -   How can I make my (stock) civic 03 last longer (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/182-7th-generation-civic-2001-2005/355339-how-can-i-make-my-stock-civic-03-last-longer.html)

ScorchedIcee 05-08-2013 11:43 AM

How can I make my (stock) civic 03 last longer

So, I have an 03 civic that was handed down to me. I've had questions but no idea where to ask them, until now that is...

Questions:

1. Currently I have accumulated 131025km, how often should I be changing the oil, and what grade of oil should I be using?
  2. Does using gear 3 or 2 to assist braking (emergency) have negative effects on my car?
  3. In terms of fuel efficiency, is there any break down of the speed vs fuel consumption (per km)?
  4. How can I clean the connections on my battery, and is there a way to tell how old it is?
  5. I have fabric on the inside peeling off (on the door). Should I just use the most over-kill glue?
Also, any general tips, common sense, etc.. please do post all the knowledge you have.

I enjoy my civic... it may not be modded, but sound I put in makes up for everything :ohyeah: ... On that note, the amp (and subs) are connected to the fuse box because of the cruddy connections to the battery, and I remember hearing that this could be bad for the... alternator? Especially when my lights dim (which they do... quite often :rotfl:) ..

Cheers

- Icee

BlueEM2 05-08-2013 03:56 PM

Re: How can I make my (stock) civic 03 last longer

1. Go synthetic once a year or max. 10,000 kms.
2. Yes, it will DESTROY your transmission quick.
3. No breakdown, but you can expect 30MPG at all times.
4. Date should be on the battery, just wire brush it here and there.
5. Hmm, not sure :)

ScorchedIcee 05-09-2013 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by BlueEM2 (Post 4640034)

Thanks for the response :)

Whenever I have geared down, I keep an eye on the RPM while listening to the engine. For example, if I gear down from 60km/hr to 3, then at 35-40km/hr gear down to 2... is it damaging the transmission because of the gear change?

I've been going under the assumption that as long as you keep the RPMs under 4 then it is ok.

I mostly gear down when I either need to stop, or re-gain traction.

How often should batteries be replaced?

Any suggestions on getting a streak free clean on my windows?

Cheers

- Icee

mikey1 05-09-2013 01:28 PM

your engine is to make your car go,

your brakes are to make your car stop,

dont confuse the two,

dont use your engine as a brake,

change your oil and filter every 5000-6000kms with standard 5w20 oil, no need for anything fancy on these engines, your chances of an oil related failure are slim to none, your body and frame will rust out before that ever happens,

frequency is more important than quality when it comes to oil changes

Civicnoobie 05-09-2013 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by BlueEM2 (Post 4640034)

Engine braking is bad for the trans?

dubtee1480 05-09-2013 03:58 PM

Engine braking places undue wear on the transmission. What's cheaper, a clutch on a manual transmission (or rebuild on a auto) or a set of brake pads?

Most batteries should last 3-5 years, most after market batteries have a 2-3 year free replacement period and a pro-rated warranty around 4-7 years after that (if I'm not mistaken). Your car will get hard to start when your battery is on it's way out, most places that sell batteries can test them also if you are concerned. If you have to replace the battery, since you inherited the car, I would try to ID the place the battery was purchased from and see if you can have it replaced there. If not free, then pro-rated at least. But they will only replace it if the battery fails a test.

If you need to clean your terminals, there is a very nice foaming spray but if the build up is thick enough you will need to use a wire brush. To get the remaining corrosion off you can use the foaming terminal cleaner. Or pour a can of coke over them, brush and rinse with water. Or baking soda and water and then brush and rinse. I like to use a protection spray, like CRC Battery Terminal Protector: http://media.toolking.com/catalog/pr..._Protector.jpg

Cleaning your windows, you can use soap and water or something like Stoner Invisible Glass brand aerosol cleaner. Use a nice microfiber cloth, waffle weave works very well. Use two towels, spray your cleaner on the window, wipe/scrub with one towel and dry with the second towel. If cleaning inside and out, wipe horizontal on one side and vertically on the other so you can isolate which side of the glass is streaking.

Civicnoobie 05-09-2013 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by dubtee1480 (Post 4640122)
Engine braking places undue wear on the transmission.

Do you know why that is? I always thought engine braking wasnt bad for either the trans or engine. Im talking just going down a slope or hill doing 60kmh tops in D3.

GolNat 05-09-2013 08:35 PM

My 94 Accord mentioned engine braking in the owners manual, can't remember if it said to save it for emergencies or not (it was an auto). I engine brake all the time with my 5 speed, need to make sure you match your revs. My Accord actually matched them automatically if the civic doesn't then I wouldn't do it.

Edit:

Originally Posted by ScorchedIcee (Post 4640011)
I enjoy my civic... it may not be modded, but sound I put in makes up for everything :ohyeah: ... On that note, the amp (and subs) are connected to the fuse box because of the cruddy connections to the battery, and I remember hearing that this could be bad for the... alternator? Especially when my lights dim (which they do... quite often :rotfl:) ..

My amp is connected to the fuse box also, never heard anything about it being bad for the alternator. I don't see how it could be bad for it. If your lights are dimming then getting a high output alternator would help. Also redoing your ground wires can help.

dubtee1480 05-10-2013 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Civicnoobie (Post 4640133)
Do you know why that is? I always thought engine braking wasnt bad for either the trans or engine. Im talking just going down a slope or hill doing 60kmh tops in D3.

Engine braking generally places undue wear on the transmission. It has it's time and place (on the track, in mountainous areas) but needs to be executed properly (rev match). There's really no need in normal street driving. If you're on a mountain, going downhill, and trying to maintain a speed then putting your car in a particular gear and holding it to keep from riding your brakes is proper usage. But in day to day driving most people simply cannot do it correctly, don't need to do it, and cause more harm than good. Lifting off the accelerator and letting the car slow down while in gear isn't what I'm referring to here, I mean downshifting. It can be done but if done improperly but can cause a lot of extra wear on the clutch. There is a lot of disagreement on doing it in daily driving honestly and people will tell you it's OK and technically they are right. I don't want to be that person on the internet saying it's OK if you are doing it properly to someone who may not know how or even be capable of doing it properly.

mikey1 05-10-2013 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Civicnoobie (Post 4640133)

we are talking about manual transmissions here and downshifting,

if your letting your foot off the gas with an auto tranny, that is fine

BlueEM2 05-10-2013 09:16 AM

When I made my post I thought you were talking automatic transmission. I engine brake with my manual transmission and have had no transmission issues at 220k kms.... that's personal preference. Also I'm still on my original clutch and it's holding strong.

mikey1 05-10-2013 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by BlueEM2 (Post 4640166)
When I made my post I thought you were talking automatic transmission. I engine brake with my manual transmission and have had no transmission issues at 220k kms.... that's personal preference. Also I'm still on my original clutch and it's holding strong.

going by this i just assumed he had a manual tranny......

Does using gear 3 or 2 to assist braking (emergency) have negative effects on my car?

BlueEM2 05-10-2013 09:47 AM

Yea I didn't read the gear numbers haha... I just imagined the damn stick being used to slow down on an auto. my bad.

GolNat 05-10-2013 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by BlueEM2 (Post 4640166)
I engine brake with my manual transmission and have had no transmission issues at 220k kms.... that's personal preference. Also I'm still on my original clutch and it's holding strong.

I have 166k miles, with original clutch. I probably do it everyday a couple times a day just for fun. If anything it may wear out the clutch cylinder and pressure plate springs faster because you are pushing the clutch more then you need to.

BlueEM2 05-10-2013 10:10 AM

I'm not concerned about it honestly. I will replace the clutch when it needs it. I just feel engine braking is the proper way to drive manuals.

ScorchedIcee 05-10-2013 04:13 PM

Thanks for all the information guys!

Also... my car is auto :russian:

ScorchedIcee 05-10-2013 04:16 PM

Weird....... I posted something completely different and it posted my first post O.o..

Thanks for all the information ^^

Also... you were correct to assume my car is, indeed an automatic transmission. The gears are labeled.

EDIT: My bad.

BlueEM2 05-10-2013 04:32 PM

Don't downshift with the gear stick then. Your transmission will hate you with a passion, and you will hate how much it costs to replace it.

Civicnoobie 05-16-2013 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by mikey1 (Post 4640165)
we are talking about manual transmissions here and downshifting,

if your letting your foot off the gas with an auto tranny, that is fine

Oh ok. Ya sometimes I will be going down a hill or slope while in D3 and foot off the gas as I coast or brake less than if it was in D. So thats okay and doesnt put extra wear on the trans or engine? I also never go past 60km/h while in D3.

mikey1 05-17-2013 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Civicnoobie (Post 4640759)
Oh ok. Ya sometimes I will be going down a hill or slope while in D3 and foot off the gas as I coast or brake less than if it was in D. So thats okay and doesnt put extra wear on the trans or engine? I also never go past 60km/h while in D3.

why are you using D3 instead of D ? :confused:

BlueEM2 05-17-2013 12:17 PM

^ Yea that's kind of what I'm wondering too.. hmm.

04 Honda Civic 05-21-2013 11:42 PM

Change the oil, maintain it, and don't drive like an animal all the time.