Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/182-7th-generation-civic-2001-2005)
-   -   stage 4 clutch (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/182-7th-generation-civic-2001-2005/354079-stage-4-clutch.html)

maxpower120 02-17-2013 07:33 PM

stage 4 clutch

I just got my 04 civic si and the previous owner put a comp clutch stage 4 in it. I don't plan on adding any upgrades if I replaced it with a stock clutch would I be able to sell the used clutch for anything or should I just leave it in there?

mikey1 02-17-2013 07:35 PM

Re: stage 4 clutch

why replace it if its working fine? :confused:

i wouldnt expect much money for a used aftermarket clutch

maxpower120 02-17-2013 08:18 PM

It makes a loud noise when taking off in first gear and reverse, if i wont get much for it i can deal with it

xRiCeBoYx 02-17-2013 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by mikey1 (Post 4633028)
why replace it if its working fine? :confused:

i wouldnt expect much money for a used aftermarket clutch

have you ever used anything except a stock clutch? I'm pretty sure a stage 4 clutch would be a royal bitch to use. The force required to push in the clutch pedal would be ridiculous, and the engagement would probably be way too harsh for daily driving. I had a stage 1 clutch when I was turbo'd and my sister and dad had sore knees after using it. Stage 4 is overkill for a D17. I doubt there's much you can do to a D17 that can warrant a stage 4.

A stage 4 clutch, however, if someone felt the need to put it on, can probably yield a couple hundred bucks... good luck finding a buyer though.

mikey1 02-18-2013 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx (Post 4633054)
have you ever used anything except a stock clutch? I'm pretty sure a stage 4 clutch would be a royal bitch to use. The force required to push in the clutch pedal would be ridiculous, and the engagement would probably be way too harsh for daily driving. I had a stage 1 clutch when I was turbo'd and my sister and dad had sore knees after using it. Stage 4 is overkill for a D17. I doubt there's much you can do to a D17 that can warrant a stage 4.

A stage 4 clutch, however, if someone felt the need to put it on, can probably yield a couple hundred bucks... good luck finding a buyer though.

yes i realize all of that.....i have used many aftermarket clutches before, but he didnt say anything about the pressure being a problem for him

maxpower120 02-18-2013 09:44 PM

Its not the pressure it takes to push the pedal that bothers me, its that it catches so fast its hard to downshift to slow down and shifting from first to second is a bitch

SlimRisk 02-19-2013 12:47 AM

An aftermarket clutch will wear out your tranny quicker than with no mods. How many miles? I might buy it from you

maxpower120 02-19-2013 04:45 PM

About 20k

sdaidoji 02-19-2013 05:34 PM

me thinks what happened was either:
1) Previous owner thought - i will put the strongest clutch in there with stock engine because i drive badass so the clutch will last (bwaahaha! yeah, right!) - reference the guy that put racing EBC pads and they never did come up to temperature so never did work well and did a mess of material accumulating in the rotors...
2) Previous owner put a clutch because he put a turbo and potentially you might be in trouble depending on what he did...

either way, there are really not many reasons to put a stage 4. maybe a stage 1 if one do autoX (not likely, too few runs to heat the brakes, even...) or track days from time to time.
or a stupidly high boost turbo, but then the engine might die way before the clutch does...

not aimed at you, maxpower, since you bought it as is.

just thinking how funny it is that so many thinks that since it calls for Race in the name, they should work... nope, they do not... some parts might work way worse because of that... (oh, man, here i go remembering again all the threads asking for the "best" this or that :) LOL! I will stop here...

maxpower120 02-19-2013 06:28 PM

lol I asked him why he went with the stage 4 and he said he was planning on building the car up but ended up just doing a cold air intake, exhaust, and the clutch

xRiCeBoYx 02-19-2013 07:17 PM

lol, seems like his priorities weren't in the correct order..

sl33pyriceboi 02-19-2013 08:17 PM

typical ricer. lol