Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/182-7th-generation-civic-2001-2005)
-   -   Is it bad for the car if you haven't start your vehicle for a while? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/182-7th-generation-civic-2001-2005/347498-bad-car-if-you-havent-start-your-vehicle-while.html)

xgtcivicturbo 03-11-2012 07:24 PM

Is it bad for the car if you haven't start your vehicle for a while?

Because of the winter season, the cold weather eat up my vehicle battery. I has left my 7th gen civic without charging the battery or start it up. I'm wondering is it bad for a vehicle that haven't driving for a while that needed to start up and needed to be drive? What is the outcome of a vehicle? Needed further info thanks in advance!!

lowlife9 03-11-2012 07:48 PM

Re: Is it bad for the car if you haven't start your vehicle for a while?

well its not good for the car did you at least add some fuel stabilizer also critters will set up camp in your engine bay and chew on stuff.

ezone 03-11-2012 09:50 PM

If the battery sat in a discharged state, it is now most likely bad.

DarkSouljur 03-14-2012 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by lowlife9 (Post 4591529)
well its not good for the car did you at least add some fuel stabilizer also critters will set up camp in your engine bay and chew on stuff.

I didnt put in any fuel stabilizer when i put my car away, how important is it?

ezone 03-14-2012 12:24 PM

How long has it sat? Less than a year, you will be fine.

I have let cars sit 3 years and they ran more or less ok.
Fresh fuel helped performancewise, but I can deal with darn near anything.

Roxie 03-14-2012 03:34 PM

Sorry for me being the nazi, but "what the outcome of grammar bad for answer good?"

Serious face on here... :th_hump:

I agree with ezone, you should be fine. We had a car parked for about a year between running it for more than one occasion. That was because it's kind of our "vacation car" of sorts. Anyways, we've had very few problems with it. I'd just say to give it a visual once over, if you have plenty of small critters to check the hoses (you never know), and either drain the fuel tank, or keep putting fresh petrol in so you can dilute out the sh** that's been sitting in there for a long while.

DarkSouljur 03-14-2012 10:42 PM

Im not worried about small critters the winter here woulda killed them off haha. The cars gunna be sitting for about 3/4 of a year being driven bi-weekly for like 15 minutes just to keep the engine running. The only way i can turn my car on is by boosting it

ezone 03-14-2012 10:49 PM

You need a fresh battery, then you need to invest in a battery maintainer to keep it fully charged.

Running it for 15 minutes every 2 weeks is probably not enough to keep it charged up.

Roxie 03-14-2012 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by DarkSouljur (Post 4591941)
Im not worried about small critters the winter here woulda killed them off haha. The cars gunna be sitting for about 3/4 of a year being driven bi-weekly for like 15 minutes just to keep the engine running. The only way i can turn my car on is by boosting it

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4591943)
You need a fresh battery, then you need to invest in a battery maintainer to keep it fully charged.

Running it for 15 minutes every 2 weeks is probably not enough to keep it charged up.

Agreed on the fresh battery. However, I'd say use your car as a weekend driver. Also, your alternator might not be charging right. Hard to know by only running it for 15 minutes at a time, and that far apart. Swap the battery first, then see what happens.

DarkSouljur 03-22-2012 10:35 PM

Oh i know for sure that the battery needs changing its given me problems before i put it away. But i said id just boost it until i pull my car out again then ill buy a fresh one. The cold weather killed it for sure, like it couldnt maintain a charge for two hours, but with warmer weather coming back its been able to hold a charge for a while, granted it still needs to be changed either way