Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/182-7th-generation-civic-2001-2005)
-   -   And the Sh*t hits the fan...or clutch (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/182-7th-generation-civic-2001-2005/343806-sh-t-hits-fan-clutch.html)

chozobody 09-16-2011 03:25 PM

And the Sh*t hits the fan...or clutch

Well, I finally had the dreaded gears popping out on my 03 5spd. It happened when I was 50 miles outside of where Im going to college (6.5 hours from home.) It really sucks limping into town in 4th gear at 75 mph on the highway. I sucked it up, and knew I would have to spend the money to get it fixed. I had finally comes terms with what happened, when all of a sudden yesterday, i was backing out of my parking spot, when i hit the friction point, and something dropped. Its like my clutch completely gave out. My vic will stay in gear, and shift into gear even with the clutch out all the way. It also makes a nasty grinding sound whenever its at idle. I dont even know what to think right now. Im more than mad. So for now, im stuck 6.5 hours from home with a non-running civic. I think i really needed to vent about all of this. Im just so frustrated right now. Being a college kid, I really am not looking forward to dropping alot of money to get my car going again. :hithead:

MindBomber 09-16-2011 03:44 PM

Re: And the Sh*t hits the fan...or clutch

Man, that sucks.

I know exactly how you feel, but at least it happened now before school starts getting really busy.

lollygagger 09-16-2011 07:38 PM

how much does a clutch replacement go for?

chozobody 09-17-2011 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by MindBomber (Post 4562145)
Man, that sucks.

I know exactly how you feel, but at least it happened now before school starts getting really busy.

Do you have any ideas on what i might be looking at from a price perspective MindBomber?

JordanLewang 09-20-2011 09:40 PM

It is too bad you didn't bother replacing it before it completely gave way had you done that it probably would be a cheaper fix you now may need to replace the flywheel. If you are doing it now do it right put a good quality clutch and if you spend the money u mind as well put a lightened flywheel in you are looking at at least 300-600 in parts depending on what is wrong and about 4-8 hours labor depending on the shop 350-800. If you do it yourself it will take you probably ten hours if you do it my way. Pull the tranny from the top side by removing the thermostat housing/egr housing or you can do the job with it in the car by supporting it from the top and splitting it about 4-6 inches apart this way is harder on u but faster.

MindBomber 09-20-2011 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by chozobody (Post 4562242)
Do you have any ideas on what i might be looking at from a price perspective MindBomber?

I'm not great with transmission to be honest, but roughly..

$275 clutch
$50 flywell resurfacing
$50 fluid
$400-800 for a trans rebuild - A few possibilities come to mind, but I my diagnosis would be pretty rough.
$500 for dropping the trans and re-installing.

Muirsy 09-20-2011 10:04 PM

i just replaced my trans and i picked up a fully rebuilt trans for $350, stage 1 clutch for $220, and $250 for 11lbs flywheel. got it all installed for $400.. prices are in cdn btw

chozobody 11-17-2011 02:54 PM

well, car has been fixed for a few weeks now, and everything was going good until today. I had my transmission rebuilt and a new clutch put in. I shifted into 4th, when I felt a pop and lost all power to the wheels. I pulled over, and saw my transmission leaking fluid profusely. Right now its at the repair shop. I'm just so fed up with this crap. If I wasnt a student right now, I would probably trade in my car by now, or part it out.

sdaidoji 11-17-2011 08:12 PM

ouch!
the driveshaft maybe was not fully in?

chozobody 11-17-2011 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by sdaidoji (Post 4572797)
ouch!
the driveshaft maybe was not fully in?

What do you mean exactly? Is it something that they would have done when putting my transmission back in?

sdaidoji 11-17-2011 09:25 PM

yes, the driveshaft need to be pushed all the way in to have the seals ... seal the oil inside.
however, that would make the oil leak slowly, so you might have had a small puddle under the car. if that was not the case, something else could have had blown during use.
but that is about the fluid leaking. i guess it's too early to pinpoint that as the reason of the failure.

chozobody 11-17-2011 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by sdaidoji (Post 4572844)
yes, the driveshaft need to be pushed all the way in to have the seals ... seal the oil inside.
however, that would make the oil leak slowly, so you might have had a small puddle under the car. if that was not the case, something else could have had blown during use.
but that is about the fluid leaking. i guess it's too early to pinpoint that as the reason of the failure.

Am i possibly looking at the need to move on to a different car?

sdaidoji 11-17-2011 09:35 PM

wait for the diagnosis from the shop, right now just try to get some sleep

chozobody 11-17-2011 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by sdaidoji (Post 4572851)
wait for the diagnosis from the shop, right now just try to get some sleep

Alright. Thanks.

sl33pyriceboi 11-17-2011 09:58 PM

Let us know what ye mech said ur problem was