Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/182-7th-generation-civic-2001-2005)
-   -   Any way to extend our centre console? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/182-7th-generation-civic-2001-2005/343759-any-way-extend-our-centre-console.html)

Civicnoobie 09-14-2011 06:04 PM

Any way to extend our centre console?

to me, the biggest downfall on the interior, the incredibly limited centre console and really outside of the tiny compartment thats big enough to fit a bottle of cologne in, there pretty much is no centre console as everything has to go in the glove box. To me its a pain having to reach each time and my glove box is getting bit full. I dont even keep my change in the cup holders, i keep it in a ziploc and stash it in my glove box. Ive gone to Canadian tire and seen you can get centre console extenders but dont even know if they will fit our car forsure. Other than that, they have these fanny packs that attach to the back of your seat, like a seat backpack and it has some pockets but that would be even worse having to reach behind the passenger seat. Plus it would attract thieves IMO.

And thats why im glad i didnt get a double din deck cause i actually use the bottom gap under my deck to put my phone in, a pen and sometimes other minor misc. stuff but i remove it when i leave as i dont like to leave stuff in my car visible to thieves. And i have to store my GPS in the side door compartment as it takes too much space in the glove box.

What have you done to store your stuff?

MindBomber 09-14-2011 06:28 PM

Re: Any way to extend our centre console?

You'll never be able to really hold that much in a centre console and I stopped carrying things in my glove box, since if I get pulled over I don't want to be fumbling while I reach for insurance papers. I keep my gps, sunglasses, a spare lighter, change and a pen in my glove box and the pocket below the double din. The other little things I carry around with me are stored in my trunk, because realistically I won't need access to them while driving anyway.

iridehonda 09-14-2011 06:41 PM

Maybe it's just an EX thing or I'm just special but I have a coin pocket just below the cruise/sunroof controls.

Civicnoobie 09-14-2011 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by iridehonda (Post 4561820)
Maybe it's just an EX thing or I'm just special but I have a coin pocket just below the cruise/sunroof controls.

I have the pocket too but couldnt figure out what its for. I thought its an ash tray. Thought coins too but the coins will just fall into the dash when you close it.

iridehonda 09-14-2011 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Civicnoobie (Post 4561824)
I have the pocket too but couldnt figure out what its for. I thought its an ash tray. Thought coins too but the coins will just fall into the dash when you close it.

I had it crammed full of change and never lost any into the dash...or atleast I don't think I have. I should check sometime.

lowlife9 09-14-2011 07:27 PM

just swap in the armrest center console from a 04 05
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...ONSOLE+%283%29

lazlong 09-14-2011 07:32 PM

^^ Is that armrest as useless as the one attached to my seat?

lowlife9 09-14-2011 07:42 PM

not really there is storage space inside it i keep a bunch of stuff in mine my glove box is usually empty besides my ipod

lazlong 09-14-2011 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by iridehonda (Post 4561826)
I had it crammed full of change and never lost any into the dash...or atleast I don't think I have. I should check sometime.

Me too... and I've checked. Now the door armrest pocket is another matter. I found $4.65 one time.

lowlife9 09-14-2011 08:30 PM

civicnoobie there is plenty of storage the knife is exactly 10 inches long. and as for keeping your paperwork handy i suggests to do what i do and keep them in a folder between the console and passenger seat the red thing is a poncho in case i get a flat in the rain.

7genmarathon 09-14-2011 08:45 PM

I must say, the coin pocket around the cruise/roof controls is an excellent spot for a can of dip. It was like, specially made for cans of tobacco.

lowlife9 09-14-2011 08:49 PM

if you slam it shut to hard coins will fall behind it but the only thing holding it on is one screw.

lazlong 09-14-2011 09:15 PM

lol @ the 10 inch knife. May want to wipe that pic for legal reasons. lol. I keep my disc (disc golf) where you keep your folder.

Shift-E 09-14-2011 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Civicnoobie (Post 4561824)

It's literally called the "coin pocket." Says so in the manual. So it was made for your coins. I've never lost anything in it.

xRiCeBoYx 09-14-2011 11:08 PM

dude, lowlife.. wtf happened to your e-brake handle? lol

lowlife9 09-15-2011 12:15 AM

lol i knew someone would ask i guess the previous owners dog used it as a chew toy i just never got around to replacing it. as for the knife if i really cared about the legality of it it wouldn't be there.

xRiCeBoYx 09-15-2011 12:27 AM

Ya know, I was torn between "wtf happened" and "did a dog use your e-brake handle as a chew toy"

sounds like I shoulda gone with the latter.. XD

gearbox 09-15-2011 12:44 AM

he had some road rage moments lol. i dont keep anything in the car except a wad of papers in the passenger seat back pocket (engine codes and ins/reg). oh yea and code reader under the driver seat (its tiny).

lowlife9 09-15-2011 01:25 AM

been watching to many carMD infomercials ???

Civicnoobie 09-15-2011 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by lowlife9 (Post 4561856)
civicnoobie there is plenty of storage the knife is exactly 10 inches long. and as for keeping your paperwork handy i suggests to do what i do and keep them in a folder between the console and passenger seat the red thing is a poncho in case i get a flat in the rain.

I have the same arm rest but mine doesnt attach to a compartment. I just have a small one with a sliding door that goes into teh console. Great idea about the folder between the seats for papers ill do that. I might even just keep it in my driver side door but i wanna try to keep my glove boxas empty as possible cause like someone said earlier, its a pain when having to scruffle thoruhg stuff.

Originally Posted by Shift-E (Post 4561890)
It's literally called the "coin pocket." Says so in the manual. So it was made for your coins. I've never lost anything in it.

ill try it out.

Seby05 09-28-2011 04:59 PM

that's because you have an 01-03 like i do, and lowlife has an 04-05 like my sister. Your armrest is attached to your driver's seat, lowlife's is part of the console itself. Maybe can swap? That would be nice, I'll have to look into that now :D

Originally Posted by Civicnoobie (Post 4561949)
I have the same arm rest but mine doesnt attach to a compartment. I just have a small one with a sliding door that goes into teh console. Great idea about the folder between the seats for papers ill do that. I might even just keep it in my driver side door but i wanna try to keep my glove boxas empty as possible cause like someone said earlier, its a pain when having to scruffle thoruhg stuff.

ill try it out.