Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/182-7th-generation-civic-2001-2005)
-   -   Engine Bay Cleaning (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/182-7th-generation-civic-2001-2005/342630-engine-bay-cleaning.html)

dustysaw 07-26-2011 08:03 PM

Engine Bay Cleaning

Anybody have any suggestions regarding how to go about cleaning the engine bay, in a safe and effective way? Any products in particular, or methods I should use?

My buddy who works at a BMW dealership said the guys literally take a pressure washer to it, after it cools, but in all honesty that kinda makes me nervous!

gearbox 07-26-2011 08:09 PM

Re: Engine Bay Cleaning

i wouldnt use any kind of water in there. lots of electronics and stuff cant be getting wet. try some orange clean degreaser on the oily areas but usually for dirt, water and a cloth should work. you can use something like mothers billet polish on the metals.

RamAirDave 11-05-2011 02:36 PM

There is no problem at all using a pressure washer to clean it off. Just use common sense. No close spraying and dont spray into electrical connections directly or in to the alternator directly. You will be just fine. Spray it with Simple Green, then spray it off with high pressure. Then use an electric leaf blower to dry off.

Civic_Nightmare 11-05-2011 03:17 PM

you can just cover the distributor cap, battery, and air filter (i would) with a plastic bag. oh ya, and disconnect your battery and you can hose it down and use engine degreaser... thats what i usually do

gearbox 11-05-2011 04:53 PM

and prolly alternator/starter too

youmadeyou 11-06-2011 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by RamAirDave (Post 4570501)
electric leaf blower to dry off.

I didn't even think about trying that . thanks for the tip.

iridehonda 11-06-2011 05:59 PM

I just cover my intake with a bag, coat everything with degreaser, let it sit, then hose it all off. Never had a problem.

02civicsi02 11-06-2011 07:56 PM

It is perfectly fine washing your bay with a water hose even hitting the electrical stuff, another reason why why the wires are insulated so it won't hurt a thing unless the wires have cuts or something on them where the guts are showing. After I wash mine I just take off the intake filter and put it in the sun to dry off alittle and I let the bay dry to.

Balzdpr 11-07-2011 10:08 AM

D17 motors have a very differant style of spark arrester. So a pressure washer is ok. However on other motors I would be careful not to soak the arrester as there may be issues with sumersion. I once washed a mitsu with a pressure washer and somehow, dont ask me how because I cant tell you, but somhow I soaked a plug and didnt know it. The engine bay dried but the plug didnt, I took the car out for a spin and noticed a smell like rotten eggs, turned out the four cylinder car was running on only three cylinders, bad news. With that said recently I have pressure washed my civic and need to again soon but its ok as long as the weather is warm and the pressure is low.:russian:

Nosepicker 11-07-2011 10:16 AM

Last I tried cleaning the engine bay my car wouldn't start cuz I sprayed some water into the distributor cap. I think that was my very first post here asking how to fix it...LOL!

But I also bought the wrong kinda spray...I was looking for the foam not liquid degreaser.

02civicsi02 11-07-2011 11:02 AM

I think the distributor on the older motors would he the only obstical cause the cap doesn't have a o ring or a seal on it which would allow water to get into it.

maxtierney 11-07-2011 06:56 PM

I've always low pressure washed the engines on my Integra and on my Civic. Never had an issue. 10 years for both cars. I do it every other week.

coupedeill 08-01-2012 12:53 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Degreaser for a couple min, light pressure spray and wipe down...she needed it

XXWoodmanXX 03-18-2016 01:30 PM

I've found a great mixture that works fantastic under the hood:

- Spray bottle (old glass cleaner or equiv.)
- 1/4 full of SimpleGreen
- 1/8 (est.) WD-40
- the rest is water

Spray areas and let soak for several minutes, but try to avoid the belts/pulleys if at all possible. then, a pressure-washer on low-pressure to rince away. Should you get the belts, the cleaner will 'dry' up the WD-40 on them EVENTUALLY, but not immediately.

It's a 'golden-rule' mixture that I use when I raced nitro R/C vehicles, and leaves a spot-free finish that looks like Armor-all when dry :)

Pier7866 04-28-2016 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by dustysaw (Post 4551614)
Anybody have any suggestions regarding how to go about cleaning the engine bay, in a safe and effective way? Any products in particular, or methods I should use?

My buddy who works at a BMW dealership said the guys literally take a pressure washer to it, after it cools, but in all honesty that kinda makes me nervous!

Its perfectly safe if you take some measures first gunk degreaser go to self wash open the hood let the car cool down for about 10 to 15 minutes. Than spray the degreaser over the engine completely let it sit for about 15 minutes than run the rinse mode and rinse the entire engine with pressure wash. Make sure when you do it do not directly aim parts such as alternator etc. I have been doing it for a very long time and had no problem plus your motor will look clean all the time. Hope this help.