Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/182-7th-generation-civic-2001-2005)
-   -   timing belt help (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/182-7th-generation-civic-2001-2005/341045-timing-belt-help.html)

thewal 05-21-2011 10:08 AM

timing belt help

HI,

I am chaging my timing belt but when i removed the old one i was slightly off TDC.

My question is can i adjust the cam and crank slightly to get them to TDC?

thanks

MelJ 05-21-2011 10:44 AM

Re: timing belt help

You should be able to via the crankshaft bolt. I've never done a TB job though, but when we were in engines class, we had everything at TDC before we took everything apart. If you do need to rotate it, I've heard the belt should be on though. Hopefully one of the other guys can chime in.

MindBomber 05-21-2011 12:10 PM

When I was researching for my timing belt I was told making a very slight adustment to get everything to TDC is alright, but it needs to be under a quarter turn I think. Hopefully josh or tom will chime in soon.

BlueEM2 05-21-2011 01:49 PM

You can move either pulley just make sure when you put the belt back on both are directly on TDC otherwise you will have big problems. The real danger is moving the cam gear far enough and with enough force that the valves come in contact with the pistons. I won't lie to you, you need a major amount of force to do this and it's hard to achieve with a ratchet. When I did my TB job my valves actually did contact the pistons while adjusting the cam gear and everything is still okay.

thewal 05-21-2011 01:50 PM

Well I got a bigger problem. i managed to align the belt. When i put the tensioner on the bolt that came with it was too long and when i tightened it it stripped the treads out of the block. I am so F$$$$$$d

PLease help.

BlueEM2 05-21-2011 01:58 PM

Wow that is a serious problem... I'd be lost at this point too :( I'd be afraid to tap into a block.

MindBomber 05-21-2011 02:08 PM

How badly stripped are the threads?

thewal 05-21-2011 02:37 PM

half an inch of threads came off on the bolt.

MindBomber 05-21-2011 02:45 PM

Damn, it's sounds like you won't be able to retap it.

At this point, unless your comfortable doing it yourself, I'd have a mechanic install a helicoil.

thewal 05-21-2011 03:14 PM

Nope. I was thinking either JB weld or tap inserts. After i beat the crap out of the honda guy.

any suggestions?

MindBomber 05-21-2011 05:09 PM

I don't know if I'd want to use JB weld, it would probably work, but if it doesn't it would be a headache to get back in there and put the insert in..

thewal 05-21-2011 05:50 PM

Another option is to welts the hole. I know a guy that welds aluminum.

BlueEM2 05-22-2011 05:02 AM

Whatever you do make sure that it's a damn good fix because if that tensioner bolt lets go bye bye engine... Sorry I don't have any better suggestions except maybe get a pro to fix it. That way if it breaks it's his fault not yours :(

lazlong 05-22-2011 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by tbohar (Post 4539552)
Sorry I don't have any better suggestions except maybe get a pro to fix it. That way if it breaks it's his fault not yours :(

Best advice so far.

If you can't find a mech to do it, I'd go with an insert and start saving for a new engine just in case.

Have fun, I don't envy you one bit.

BlueEM2 05-22-2011 05:32 AM

Yea anything to do with the timing system of the car you want it to be 100% bang on... The smallest little thing can lead to a major failure... I hate to use Josh as an example again... he had a TDC sensor bolt loosen on him (small bolt IMO) and it caused his timing belt to slip off the pulley and bent all 16 valves... Don't mess around with this....

thewal 05-22-2011 07:19 AM

Looks like I will be getting a new engine. if you know of a place that has one let me know.

misterzee 05-22-2011 04:28 PM

seems to me that a properly installed helicoil should work just fine. use threadlocker on the bolt when installing, and make sure you toeque everything to spec. Ive used them several times to repair stripped threads in exhaust manifold bolts in aliminum heads... aren't they used extensively in small aircraft engines and things like that?

MindBomber 05-22-2011 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by thewal (Post 4539571)
Looks like I will be getting a new engine. if you know of a place that has one let me know.

Wait, wait... why a new engine?

Have you tried the helicoil insert?

BlueEM2 05-23-2011 05:24 AM

You don't need a new engine yet !! If you do decide to replace it, you can probably get a block for much cheaper than a whole engine.. Junkyards FTW.

thewal 05-23-2011 02:19 PM

i am going to try time-serts apparently its what honda uses in a situation like this.

but I really do not feeling like pulling the engine out. if i have to i guess I will.
But i dont understand i did not even fully torque the damn bolt and the threads stripped. I hate aluminum blocks.

thewal 05-24-2011 11:07 AM

Well I spoke to the shop forman at honda dealer near my house, and they use helicoils, so he recomended that. he said he can do the job for me for 300.

lazlong 05-24-2011 02:36 PM

^^ Go with that. It's expensive but, should be done right. I'm positive it's not the first time they've had to do inserts. lol

MindBomber 05-24-2011 03:03 PM

$300 is crazy, just take it to an independent mechanic, installing a helicoil isn't rocket science.

thewal 05-24-2011 07:48 PM

it includes everything timing belt alternator belt power steering belt. as well as rocker cover and gasket. Basically put everything back together.

04 Honda Civic 05-25-2011 09:01 PM

Yes you can, you cant do full turns though. If you do you will see that it wont turn anymore and you could potentially do damage. However if your talking about a few teeth then you are fine.

04 Honda Civic 05-25-2011 09:05 PM

Use a heli coil. they are cheap and they are really your best bet.
When the dealershit technician stripped out the top of my head where the valve cover goes he used this. They are strong. (****ing stupid mechanic)

Good luck and make sure you get the right size bolt and the same thread for the heli coil and the bolt!!

MindBomber 05-25-2011 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by thewal (Post 4540028)
it includes everything timing belt alternator belt power steering belt. as well as rocker cover and gasket. Basically put everything back together.

That's a pretty decent price then, I'd go for it.

thewal 05-26-2011 05:26 AM

Well I got the car back, Honda shop forman said that he was able to put a helicoil in no problem. He said the bolt tightened fine.

Hopefully this will hold.