Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/182-7th-generation-civic-2001-2005)
-   -   Cold air or Short Ram air (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/182-7th-generation-civic-2001-2005/340590-cold-air-short-ram-air.html)

Un4givenshadow 05-03-2011 12:01 PM

Cold air or Short Ram air

The title kind of says it all... Should I get a cold air intake or a Short Ram air intake... I get paid this week and that is my car buy of the month... So tell me folks... What do ya think?

Kennykid2002 05-03-2011 12:35 PM

Re: Cold air or Short Ram air

If you live closer to the south western coast, CAI
If you live closer to the north, or to the east coast, SRI

If you live in the french colonies, SRI

Steez26 05-03-2011 12:37 PM

Neither will do anything for your civic so IMO save it and do something for your mom on mothers day or save it for suspension or stereo stuff. But if you decide to get one cai look cooler

xRiCeBoYx 05-03-2011 12:39 PM

It really doesn't make that big of a difference on a D17

An SRI would make it easier to access the filter for say, cleaning or replacement.

7genmarathon 05-03-2011 12:48 PM

Or gulf coast. Its hot, humid(h20 gobbler), and dusty all at the same time.

I would get SRI. A CAI just gets in the way like the stock airbox

Un4givenshadow 05-03-2011 12:50 PM

Yeah I figured it wouldnt do a whole lot... But I wanna do it just to free up some room in there and take that giant plastic box out of there.

sdaidoji 05-03-2011 04:52 PM

SRI then.
CAI tends to get thirsty and the first water puddle it will act like a camel in the desert for 5 days without water. Ssssslurrrrrp!

Un4givenshadow 05-03-2011 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by sdaidoji (Post 4535851)
SRI then.
CAI tends to get thirsty and the first water puddle it will act like a camel in the desert for 5 days without water. Ssssslurrrrrp!

I dont know why this made me laugh so loud but it did while I am at work in an office:lol:

sdaidoji 05-03-2011 05:09 PM

sooorry! :D

sdaidoji 05-03-2011 05:56 PM

you know, i re-read myself again and am rolling on the floor right now... new definition to CAI added...

That's what happens after a whole day in a meeting...

iSharix 05-03-2011 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002 (Post 4535811)
If you live closer to the south western coast, CAI
If you live closer to the north, or to the east coast, SRI

If you live in the french colonies, SRI

You're an ******* .
Who says there's lotsa water in the "French colonies" ! :susp:

sdaidoji 05-03-2011 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by iSharix (Post 4535901)
You're an ******* .
Who says there's lotsa water in the "French colonies" ! :susp:

Mais non, ma chere! :D

Kennykid2002 05-03-2011 08:06 PM

Lotsa snow = lotsa water
Frenchies = lotsa snow

and nowhere did i say anything about water

iSharix 05-03-2011 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002 (Post 4535912)
Lotsa snow = lotsa water
Frenchies = lotsa snow

and nowhere did i say anything about water

:hithead: Thats CANADIANS to you !

DrunkinStuper 05-04-2011 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Un4givenshadow (Post 4535803)
The title kind of says it all... Should I get a cold air intake or a Short Ram air intake... I get paid this week and that is my car buy of the month... So tell me folks... What do ya think?

I went with the Short Ram intake so i can only speak about it, It has been installed for 3 months now and 4400 miles with only one issue.... the check engine light, throwing a running lean bank 1 code on android app Torque. It either clears itself and go's away, or stays on until i put a full tank of gas in my car. (Yes very odd) I didn't notice any fuel economy boost, or power boost because i refuse to be faked out by the noise it makes at 5000 RPM+. I figure on paper I'm getting 6+ HP gain for 240 bucks.... along with a different sound. Think about it on a different aspect as well, its shorter, lighter, less chance of hydro lock, and sounds better than a cold air intake. If i can figure out how to post pictures i'll go n take a few on how the K&N System looks.

DarkSouljur 05-04-2011 02:03 PM

I bought my car with a SRI but i can't get a CAI where i live because it rains and it's not as hot and dry as like LA or Vegas :P I love my sri, i get a bit of HP+ and everyone that i drive loves the sound of it. If i'm not mistaken i think i get slightly better gas mileage but i'm not sure. And like they said CAI's just get in the way, SRIs are a bit cheaper so you can spend money elsewhere, and I feel like i got my money's worth.

Shift-E 05-04-2011 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by DarkSouljur (Post 4536090)
I feel like i got my money's worth.

What do you mean your moneys worth? You bought it with the car at an amazing price! lol.

I, however, did buy one and do feel like I got my money's worth :P

Un4givenshadow 05-04-2011 04:51 PM

Alright cool well if some people are thinking its worth the money might as well try it. And if I dont like it... eh whatever its just money!

Kennykid2002 05-04-2011 06:22 PM

With that attitude, you can do a lot with your car :P
Hell, you can even throw some of that money my way ;)

Just buy a SRI, just for the cool sound.
And the placebo effect of more imaginary power and mpg

Un4givenshadow 05-05-2011 02:49 AM

Haha NO I can barely afford the crap now but. when I get the chance to buy it, it definitely happens!

Yay! Placebo effect! Ill take it! that and the sound is nice :)

lowlife9 05-06-2011 04:52 AM

whatever you do don't leave the cheap ebay filter on it im guessing thats what your getting rite a no name ebay SRI.

lowlife9 05-06-2011 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by DrunkinStuper (Post 4536082)
I went with the Short Ram intake so i can only speak about it, It has been installed for 3 months now and 4400 miles with only one issue.... the check engine light, throwing a running lean bank 1 code on android app Torque. It either clears itself and go's away, or stays on until i put a full tank of gas in my car. (Yes very odd) I didn't notice any fuel economy boost, or power boost because i refuse to be faked out by the noise it makes at 5000 RPM+. I figure on paper I'm getting 6+ HP gain for 240 bucks.... along with a different sound. Think about it on a different aspect as well, its shorter, lighter, less chance of hydro lock, and sounds better than a cold air intake. If i can figure out how to post pictures i'll go n take a few on how the K&N System looks.

1.did you reset the ECU after you installed the intake
2 did you put way to much oil on the filter? that can mess up sensors.

Un4givenshadow 05-06-2011 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by lowlife9 (Post 4536425)
whatever you do don't leave the cheap ebay filter on it im guessing thats what your getting rite a no name ebay SRI.

Yeah It was some no name thing but I bought an actual K&N filter for it!

DrunkinStuper 05-06-2011 04:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by lowlife9 (Post 4536426)
1.did you reset the ECU after you installed the intake
2 did you put way to much oil on the filter? that can mess up sensors.

Reset the ECU?? Now thats a good question.... I didn't, nor did I know i would have to. I'm going to look it up.

The filter came from K&N, well the whole kit K&N Short Ram Intake System. It was factory oiled, and didn't see any warnings to let it dry out before hand.

Thanks for the advice.

BlueEM2 05-06-2011 05:47 PM

Get a SRI... not only does it not make any power difference but it's much easier to work with like Josh(XriceboyX said)... :)

Un4givenshadow 05-06-2011 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by tbohar (Post 4536509)
Get a SRI... not only does it not make any power difference but it's much easier to work with like Josh(XriceboyX said)... :)

Haha thanks for the help :P If nothing else it will make the under the hood a lot less ugly!