Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/181-8th-9th-generation-civic-2006-2015)
-   -   should i use gas antifreeze or additives in cold temp? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/181-8th-9th-generation-civic-2006-2015/375256-should-i-use-gas-antifreeze-additives-cold-temp.html)

rogerscivic 01-26-2019 01:48 PM

should i use gas antifreeze or additives in cold temp?

hello guys im in debuit wether to use gas line aditives or fuel injector cleaners since we had a cold snap here in london,ont and pre- forecast is saying getting Colder . next round week brrrrrrr !

Colin42 01-26-2019 02:53 PM

Re: should i use gas antifreeze or additives in cold temp?

As long as it's starting fine don't bother you'd just be throwing money away. My 05 started just fine on Monday when it was ridiculously cold, and I don't use any additives, don't even have a block heater.

If anything get a block heater, but as long as your battery is good then it's really not needed

ezone 01-26-2019 04:01 PM

Personally, I do not and never have used it. Winter here get as low as -10*F

Do y'all up there in Canuckia have alcohol (Ethanol) in your gasoline?
Where I'm at 99% of gas stations have Ethanol added (10% is the norm here) only one place sells straight gasoline

Alcohol absorbs water so (in theory) wouldn't regular use of say E-10 gasoline take care of small moisture/condensation accumulation issues?
Assuming the car is a daily driver

In most cases, someone who ends up with enough water in the gas tank to cause running problems either got some contaminated gasoline from a filling station, or they forgot to put the gas cap on and then drove through the car wash or it rained (snowed?) and got water in the tank

Colin42 01-26-2019 04:14 PM

Everything up in my area has ethanol in it except for a couple versions of super premium gas

brags 01-26-2019 05:47 PM

• rogerscivic No.... No. need to use any kind of gas Line antifreeze to Your fuel. in Canada Ont the big Oil refinery company"s already have added the necessary anti-freeze needed in all Grades of gasoline sold here from regular to premuim fuel before winter Cold hit. to keep it from freezing, so theres no need to add additional gas line anti-freeze or fuel cleaners to keep gas from freezing.?

ezone 01-26-2019 06:02 PM

Hmm....

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-fr...car-can-freeze

rogerscivic 01-26-2019 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4757051)

Hello ezone its a cold night here in London Canada i read the quora thxs for posting ezone.! around where i live here we see temp go from -15 - -25 windchill added rarely -40 -25 oh yes its hard on my battery when it gets down that low slow cra-cra-aank over would adding anything to my gas help start better.?

Colin42 01-26-2019 08:35 PM

No, get your battery tested if you think it's weak

sdaidoji 01-26-2019 08:48 PM

the coldest i got in quebec was -38. Car worked fine. (Seat was hard as rock, it was frozen...)
if you ask me if that was C or F, doesn't matter... C and F cross at -42 again...

brags 01-27-2019 12:25 PM

I have never added any sort of gas line anti-freeze in the winter time Quebec,Montreal would be the acception on adding additional gas line antifreeze because of there extreme Cold Temps. rogerscivic if Your batt is getting weak You might want to get it tested or buy new one. things to Do on Your next cold snap around the day before You crank it over make sure any acceseries, like Radio ,Heater, dome light, are off then crank it over by key You want to get the most Cold Cranking Amps Possible to start your engine on a weak Batt.

rogerscivic 01-27-2019 02:49 PM

uhmm Good advise brags something i should be doing that i never could of thought of every milliamps of volts counts on a cold start. thank-You Guys .!:tup:

ezone 01-28-2019 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by rogerscivic (Post 4757055)
windchill added rarely -40 -25

People and other animals are affected by wind chill factor.
Mechanical things are not.

its hard on my battery when it gets down that low slow cra-cra-aank over would adding anything to my gas help start better.?
No, never. You can't change that with fuel additives.
Every vehicle cranks noticeably slower in severe cold temp

If battery is weak, replace it.
Same if starter has some issue or battery cables and grounds have issues, fix it.
Changing oil to 0w20 can help just a little bit too
Block heater, oil pan warmer, battery warmer and maybe a trickle charger helps too.