Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/181-8th-9th-generation-civic-2006-2015)
-   -   Repair small rust spot on door? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/181-8th-9th-generation-civic-2006-2015/374386-repair-small-rust-spot-door.html)

CanadaJimmy 09-14-2018 04:05 PM

Repair small rust spot on door?

3 Attachment(s)
I checked all the wheel wells for rust, but didn't notice this tiny spot under the door when I purchased the car - looks like a scrape at some point.

Attachment 113279
Attachment 113280
Attachment 113281

Any suggestions on how I can repair it since I don't want the rust spreading, and the best place to get the matching paint?

Thanks!

dsm482 09-14-2018 06:54 PM

Re: Repair small rust spot on door?

grind it to bare metal , then buy rust dissolver, put it on let it sit, .. wipe it clean , then prime it within 5 min.. after that you can do what i did , use bedliner and do the whole car to a line and cover that area , or paint it , and clear coat it..

kinda hard to explain over computer

rogerscivic 09-15-2018 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by dsm482 (Post 4751716)
grind it to bare metal , then buy rust dissolver, put it on let it sit, .. wipe it clean , then prime it within 5 min.. after that you can do what i did , use bedliner and do the whole car to a line and cover that area , or paint it , and clear coat it..

kinda hard to explain over computer

hi just asking is that what the product is called rust dissolver to use on that kind of aplication?

CanadaJimmy 09-17-2018 01:23 PM

Thanks for the help, I've ordered the primer, paint and clear coat from automotive touchup, as well as their assorted sandpaper pack which was pretty affordable. Will be picking that up from my US mailbox.

I wondered about the rust dissolver as well as rogerscivic asked. After looking into this it appears that in the US, the Loctite Naval Jelly Rust Dissolver is the most popular, but in Canada, Rust-Oleum Rust Remover Jelly is the equivalent? I will probably be getting some of the Rust-Oleum as it's easy to find at Home Depot here.

Will post the results when done!

Only remaining annoying part is it seems the top part of the skirting has come away from the door a little bit (you can see it in the top-middle of the second photo I posted), not sure if there is any way I can fix that and get it back in place. I can live with that though, unlike the rust eating away at the car.

Colin42 09-17-2018 01:48 PM

any rust converter/dissolving product will work, phosphoric acid, etc
the tweaked part of the fender you can bend back, might have to unbolt it at the bottom to get more movement.
or smack it back into position with a hammer, if you know what you're doing

dsm482 09-17-2018 09:36 PM

I used loctite naval jelly..

I will post pictures one of these days soon.. how I did mine to certain level, and certain sections. my car is also undercoated.. 2010 civic 90kmiles 0% rust.

I live in Rochester NY not to far from Canada so its a rust belt area.

I used bedliner product an draw a line across and did some rear arches on the inside.. common rust spots on this civic.. ..
u will see it.. i will try an snap tommorow some.