Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/181-8th-9th-generation-civic-2006-2015)
-   -   2010 LX -- can you "reprogram" stock security system to autolock? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/181-8th-9th-generation-civic-2006-2015/366628-2010-lx-can-you-reprogram-stock-security-system-autolock.html)

h4ldol 02-16-2016 01:30 AM

2010 LX -- can you "reprogram" stock security system to autolock?

We have a 2010 LX sedan with the stock security system. I wish the system could be set to auto lock/arm after leaving the car after a certain amount of time. As it is, you can only lock/arm it by using the keyfob, which isn't good since we park on the street and sometimes forget to turn it on. Is there a way to "reprogram" via OBDII port the security system so that this can be changed? Also, it would be nice to unlock all car doors with a single press of unlock on the keyfob (instead of pressing it twice). I believe that function can be changed.

CraigW 02-16-2016 08:01 AM

Re: 2010 LX -- can you "reprogram" stock security system to autolock?

Just press the lock button on the door(s) as you leave the car, and check alarm light to let you know all items are closed. (Before 8th gens you could not do this)

Single press, all unlock..... not sure.

h4ldol 02-16-2016 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by CraigW (Post 4702722)
Just press the lock button on the door(s) as you leave the car, and check alarm light to let you know all items are closed. (Before 8th gens you could not do this)

Single press, all unlock..... not sure.

Thanks, but when handling toddlers/kids on exiting the car it's quite easy to forget to use the key fob or lock button on the door before/after leaving the car. It would be nice if it could be programmed (e.g. if it's a setting that is off by default that you could "activate" via accessing the OBDII port). I believe the single press all unlock can be done, but not sure.

RIPSAW 02-16-2016 11:09 AM

I am pretty sure the last thing you really want is your car to autolock. I know kids are a distraction for sure and we as good parents actually train our self to have them first in priority. However, the first time you do the pay at the local gas and find your car keys locked in could actually threaten them. Train the kids to lock the car. Make a game of it.

I know the alarm system on a Harley in foreign countries is mandated by the country. However, there is signal light prompts to disarm with a passcode. It's 5 numbers. I have mine set all 1's, so its 10 pushes. Friend set his all 9. That's 50 pushes to disarm.

h4ldol 02-16-2016 04:25 PM

Well, again, diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks. There is the risk of getting locked out with autolocking, but I would still like that option as we never leave keys in the car but do occasionally forget to lock the doors and find the car rummaged through (and expensive iPhone mounts stolen) when unlucky.

Anyone know the answer to the original question of whether it can be done at all?

ezone 02-16-2016 09:19 PM

I wish the system could be set to auto lock/arm after leaving the car after a certain amount of time.
No, this can't be done with the factory system.
It's up to you to remember to lock the car.

The only thing even remotely close is if you inadvertently bump the fob and the car unlocks.....if no doors are opened it will relock itself in 30 seconds or so.

Also, it would be nice to unlock all car doors with a single press of unlock on the keyfob (instead of pressing it twice)
This can't be changed either.

Some of the newer cars have that as a customizable setting, if you would like to upgrade LOL.

To view the lock settings you can change, see the small blue book 'Technology Reference Guide' with your owners manual stuff.
http://i.ebayimg.com/11/!B2YLE3wBGk~...qsO6!~~_35.JPG

You can probably find this books info on Hondas website too.

h4ldol 02-16-2016 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4702761)
To view the lock settings you can change, see the small blue book 'Technology Reference Guide' with your owners manual stuff.
http://i.ebayimg.com/11/!B2YLE3wBGk~...qsO6!~~_35.JPG

You can probably find this books info on Hondas website too.

Thank you. I only ask because in some cars -- like our 2014 Sienna-- you can change some lock/unlock (and other) settings by accessing the OBDII port with a techstream cable/software, but it's not something that an owner would simply be able to change him/herself. In the Sienna it is possible to change the all door unlock from double press of unlock button to single press. A bit disappointing but good to know.