Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   General 8th & 9th Gen (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/292-general-8th-9th-gen)
-   -   How Much Power Can The CVT Withstand? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/292-general-8th-9th-gen/364643-how-much-power-can-cvt-withstand.html)

jordan1794 07-16-2015 06:06 PM

How Much Power Can The CVT Withstand?

Hello all!
So I have a 2014 Civic EX with the CVT transmission.
I plan on modding it, but have no idea how far I plan to go. So prior to doing anything large, I was curious if anyone knows, or has an idea of how much power the CVT can handle.

Obviously I'm not planning on making it a race car, if I were I would have gotten an Si. Just want to add a little pep, make it look a little better, etc.
(Window tint and new suspension will come before any engine performance upgrades)

Just small things, new intake & exhaust system, stuff like that.
I'm tempted to say maybe a turbo, but I said that with my last car (a 2006 civic) and never ended up even trying haha.

I know my civic only has around 140 horses, and the accords with CVT's have closer to 190, but are the CVTs the same/similar enough to handle the same power? (Although I doubt i'd go over 160-170 without a fair amount of work)

Thanks for any/all insight!
P.S. Don't tell me to sell my car and buy an Si.

brags 07-16-2015 07:43 PM

Re: How Much Power Can The CVT Withstand?

intake & exhaust youl be fine adding a turbo.? not so sure as far as I know
CVT transmissions are weaker built compared to a regular automatic transmission
so all I can say is do some research on them before adding any kind of turbo..

ezone 07-16-2015 07:50 PM

Swap an Accord Earth Dreams drivetrain into it? Sure would make it peppy.
No need to turbo it, and might still get close to the same gas mileage as you have now??

The Civic CVT is smaller than the one in the Accord.

jordan1794 07-16-2015 09:18 PM

Thanks for the replies guys!
I think I'm gonna stick with the simple stuff, intake, exhaust, etc.
If I get to a point where I'm ready to blow the money on a turbo, I might as well look into doing a full swap like e-zone said haha.

Not trying to crowd this thread, but does anyone have any suggestions on how much to lower? I don't want to be bottoming out everywhere. I saw a post/advertisement here for a kit that was like, 2" in the front and 1" in the back and it looked really sweet, but I dunno if 2" drop in the front is gonna make it hard to get around or not.
(Here is the post, although the pictures are gone https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ring-kits.html )

EDIT: It's 1.8" in the front and 1.5" in the back.

0396 07-21-2015 12:17 AM

CVT are not suitable for high HP.
Honda might use it for the SI. But the question only needs to ask, how long will you keep it.
I just replace my Civic -115 hp i think. Basic driving and at 170k...trannie went out. I expected it to last longer than that.
For all the fuel savings. ..it provided over the years. It just went down the drain.
Moving forward, no more CVT trans for my family.

jordan1794 07-21-2015 08:10 AM

The Si's don't use a CVT as far as I know. Pretty sure all of them are manuals (otherwise, I would have gotten an Si haha)

IMO 170k miles isn't bad for a tranny, especially if you were following the maintenance schedule (Which I believe says it only needs a flush once every 100k miles)

I plan to get a drain and fill every 20-30k miles until I hit 60k, then I'll swap to every other oil change. I think transmission life-spans can vary wildly as well...

The stock, non-si civics (2006 and later) have around 140 hp, where are you getting 115 from?
Didn't start using CVT's in them until 2013 as well(as far as I know)...so unless you drive 50-60k miles a year I think you are talking about a different transmission...not the CVT.

EDIT: Searched your posts, you had a Hybrid 2004 civic with a CVT transmission.
Surely CVT technology has come a long way in the last decade.

GolNat 07-21-2015 11:41 AM

Si is manual only, so no CVT.

As for lowering, just get adjustable coilovers. I got springs first and wasn't happy with them so I went with Coilovers and they are worth the money, IMO.

Take a tape measure and measure from the fender to the ground. Knock off 2" and that's "about" where it will be. If the fender gap is larger in the front then you will want a spring that drops more in the front then back.

Thewhitewolf 06-29-2018 03:54 PM

Look to be honest from what I have heard you can’t exceed a CVT over 300hp (this is just what I’ve heard) but I think for rn I think you should just go with the exhaust, tuning, and suspensions.

Grobbins 05-09-2019 08:24 AM

Hhhh

brags 05-11-2019 08:59 PM

Honda Civic CVT tranny"s are weak for handling Power.! 5 speed manual is still the best option on adding power.