Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/181-8th-9th-generation-civic-2006-2015)
-   -   2010 honda civic fuel injectors (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/181-8th-9th-generation-civic-2006-2015/357793-2010-honda-civic-fuel-injectors.html)

kings322 11-23-2013 11:15 AM

2010 honda civic fuel injectors

I recently had a remote start installed in my 2010 Honda civic and im having problems with the virtual Tach on the remote start system. I want to run a Tach wire from one of the fuel injectors don't know how to get to them. Anybody know of an easier way to get to them?

ezone 11-23-2013 12:19 PM

Re: 2010 honda civic fuel injectors

Either tap in at the PCM (on top of the trans) or pull out the wiper cowl panels for more room to work over the injectors.

Couldn't you use an ignition coil wire for the same purpose instead?

kings322 11-24-2013 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4652721)
Either tap in at the PCM (on top of the trans) or pull out the wiper cowl panels for more room to work over the injectors.

Couldn't you use an ignition coil wire for the same purpose instead?

can I get the tach signal at the ignition coils? I didn't know that I was able to do that. Each one of my coils have 3 wires on them. left to right. 1. blk/white, blk, brown. 2. blk/white, blk, white/blue 3. blk/white, blk, blue/red 4. blk/white, blk, yellow/green. Which one of these wires would I find the tach?

Thanks

ezone 11-24-2013 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by kings322 (Post 4652798)
can I get the tach signal at the ignition coils? I didn't know that I was able to do that. Each one of my coils have 3 wires on them. left to right. 1. blk/white, blk, brown. 2. blk/white, blk, white/blue 3. blk/white, blk, blue/red 4. blk/white, blk, yellow/green. Which one of these wires would I find the tach?

Thanks

A common tach signal is usually generated by the ignition system coil triggers, but this car does not have a single ignition coil. It has 4 individual coils, also known as COP (Coil On Plug) ignition.
The only place I'm aware of to obtain a true tach reading is within the data stream from the computer.

If the remote start system will be looking for a 4 cylinder tach signal, you can't get it from individual coils.

Sequential injectors won't generate a 4 cylinder tach signal either.

If the remote start would be accepting of a single cylinder pulse of some sort to satisfy its need for a tach signal, then either route may be acceptable.

See, I have no idea what your system is able to use and accept as valid. You have the instructions, I assume?

If you had this installed by someone else, why aren't you going back there to let them handle it? You paid them to install it, give them a chance to make it right.

=========================

To answer your question, look at the wiring of each of the four coils.
Two of the wires (colors) are common to all 4 coils (black/white and black), these are the power and ground for each coil.

The remaining 3rd wire is a different color at each coil. Those are the "triggers" for each individual coil. Pick one and only one of those.

Make sense?
This would only work if the system can accept the signal.

HTH

kings322 11-25-2013 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4652802)
A common tach signal is usually generated by the ignition system coil triggers, but this car does not have a single ignition coil. It has 4 individual coils, also known as COP (Coil On Plug) ignition.
The only place I'm aware of to obtain a true tach reading is within the data stream from the computer.

If the remote start system will be looking for a 4 cylinder tach signal, you can't get it from individual coils.

Sequential injectors won't generate a 4 cylinder tach signal either.

If the remote start would be accepting of a single cylinder pulse of some sort to satisfy its need for a tach signal, then either route may be acceptable.

See, I have no idea what your system is able to use and accept as valid. You have the instructions, I assume?

If you had this installed by someone else, why aren't you going back there to let them handle it? You paid them to install it, give them a chance to make it right.

=========================

To answer your question, look at the wiring of each of the four coils.
Two of the wires (colors) are common to all 4 coils (black/white and black), these are the power and ground for each coil.

The remaining 3rd wire is a different color at each coil. Those are the "triggers" for each individual coil. Pick one and only one of those.

Make sense?
This would only work if the system can accept the signal.

HTH

So I can use the last wire to send the tach signal to my remote start?

Im asking because I want to make sure that the wiring is installed correctly. I might install it myself so that the installer won't butcher my wiring to my coil.

Thank you

ezone 11-25-2013 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by kings322 (Post 4652865)
So I can use the last wire to send the tach signal to my remote start?

I can't see what you are calling the "last wire". There is one wire at each coil that is colored different, pick one.

1. blk/white, blk, brown
2. blk/white, blk, white/blue
3. blk/white, blk, blue/red
4. blk/white, blk, yellow/green
^^^^See the pattern there?

You stated up above each coil has a "blk/white, blk", 'and one more that is a different color' on each coil. Pick a coil and use that different color wire.

HTH

kings322 11-26-2013 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4652869)
I can't see what you are calling the "last wire". There is one wire at each coil that is colored different, pick one.

You stated up above each coil has a "blk/white, blk", 'and one more that is a different color' on each coil. Pick a coil and use that different color wire.

HTH

I got it. i will try this with my remote start and let you know how it goes.

Thank You!

kings322 11-30-2013 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4652869)

HTH

So I connected a wire to the uncommon wire ( white/blue stripe) on one of my coils and ran it to the tachometer wire from the autostart and bypass module. When I tried to start the car with the autostart it started to stall and the engine light came on. Anybody know why the car would respond like that if the uncommon wire on the coil is supposed to have the tach signal.

thanks again

ezone 11-30-2013 06:06 PM

Well, unhook that wire you added and make sure the car will still run and you didn't damage anything.

The code will probably be P035x (x = whichever cylinders coil wiring you messed with, #2?) for ignition coil circuit malfunction.
Clear the memory/erase the code.

Wire it to a fuel injector this time?
What did the instructions say about connecting this wire?

kings322 11-30-2013 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4653204)
Well, unhook that wire you added and make sure the car will still run and you didn't damage anything.

The code will probably be P035x (x = whichever cylinders coil wiring you messed with, #2?) for ignition coil circuit malfunction.
Clear the memory/erase the code.

Wire it to a fuel injector this time?
What did the instructions say about connecting this wire?

I tried using one of the fuel injectors before and also got the engine light and the car was stalling for about 5 min. Then the code cleared and the car returned to normal. This remote start has cold start issues and sometimes it will over crank even when the car is turned on. Im about to rip this damn thing out of my car. Im just gonna take it to the installer and have him fix it or give me back my money.