Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/181-8th-9th-generation-civic-2006-2015)
-   -   Wiper Blade Replacement - how? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/181-8th-9th-generation-civic-2006-2015/302095-wiper-blade-replacement-how.html)

mailrail 11-16-2007 08:31 PM

Wiper Blade Replacement - how?

I just bought some replacement wiper inserts but can't seem to get them installed. What's the trick? I'm trying to squeeze together the cover like the manual says to do (I've even used plyers) but the damned thing won't come off. Can anyone give me some advice?

FGCOUPE 11-16-2007 09:48 PM

Re: Wiper Blade Replacement - how?

The plastic end has 2 points on one end of the blade, squeeze them both at the same time and pull up. Then pull the plastic tab off and slide the rubber blade out. Replace with new rubber and pop on the plastic tab and clip it back on.

ultimatetuner10 11-16-2007 11:58 PM

IIRC the new civics all come with bosch icon wipers...why would you replace them they are among the best out there, and i cant imagine that they are bad already. my buddy has em on his golf for 2 years they are as good as the first day he got them

FGCOUPE 11-17-2007 02:13 AM

my 06' civic blades were only just over 1 yr old and they were smearing water like grease across my windshield....for 12.00 for both blades is cheap anyhow. My buddy has an 07' Si and his were replaced a few weeks before mine.

the new blades are nothing to brag about except pricewise! :shrug:

mailrail 11-17-2007 05:08 PM

What a whacked out design. I FINALLY got the little black cover off but it took a pair of plyers and a hammer - yes, a hammer. Then, getting the blades out of the cover and installed back in again was an adventure. In fact, I actually tore the passenger-side refill at the end while inserting it into the shell which means I'm going to have to replace that one again soon.

Honda dropped the ball on this one. A company who usually specializes in thoughtful designs, they obviously left this up to a design student intern or something. I hope they redesigned this for the 07s or 08s. If not, all I can say to anyone getting ready to change blades is: GOOD LUCK!

FGCOUPE 11-17-2007 11:33 PM

i found it really easy and convenient myself?

for 6.00 per rubber owns!
my wifes caravan blades need to be replaced and their the ones that are all 1 piece design, ones that you buy from walmart, canadian tire, etc which cost 20.00 EACH....LMAO!

i like my blades!

dieterbreitenba 11-18-2007 02:58 PM

I tried to squeeze the black plastic and pull up but that didn't work and I don't want to put plyers on the wiper. What's the trick?

I even tried to pull the plastic tab below and under the wiper blade like on the older wiper blades you get at the store for other cars but that didn't work either

Help !!!!! :hithead: These blades are driving me crazy. The car is just 1 1/2 years old (2006 model Civic DX) and they need to be replaced before the snow really flies around here in Ohio.

HELP :confused:

dieterbreitenba 11-18-2007 03:40 PM

I just found a neet trick. I couldn't get the plastic piece to lift like in the posts above. What I did was to put a screwdriver in the slot above the plastic tabs and pryed it apart (sideways) not up. The plastic piece slid forward and once forward about 1/4 inch, I was able to lift it off.
Now I still have to figure out how to replace the rubber with a refill.

If anyone knows that it would be appriciated.

FGCOUPE 11-19-2007 11:04 AM

you need to get the plastc end off, then the rubber just slides on!

speedfoos 11-19-2007 02:28 PM

Just a question. Why not just replace the whole thing instead of ****ing with that little piece of rubber?

FGCOUPE 11-19-2007 04:01 PM

for 8th gens this is how they do it for ease of use, and cost effective.

its so ****ing easy but everyone seems to make it out to be something you need a DIY for? lmao!:roflmao:

FGCOUPE 11-19-2007 04:10 PM

Replacing wiper blades on 8th Gen Civic

Tools needed:
NONE!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ODCIVIC001.jpg
A. Pop up the tabs by pressing them both together and pulling upright as shown above

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ODCIVIC002.jpg
B. Pull the plastic retainer straight off

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ODCIVIC003.jpg
C. Pull the rubber blade out and slide new one in its place.
TADAH!

FGCOUPE 11-19-2007 04:11 PM

holy shit.....took me 5 minutes to take it apart, take images, resize images, host images and post this shit!!

AHAHAHAHA

armieo 11-19-2007 05:02 PM

lawlz

HonCiv02 11-19-2007 10:00 PM

nice DIY, it looks like you are going to save a lot of members ginormous headaches. lmao :D

FGCOUPE 11-19-2007 11:47 PM

for real...if you cannot figure this out for yourself dont own a car unless you have money for a mechanic 24/7 standby? lawlz!
Then again, dont even bother trying to figure out how to do an oil change! haha!

Alpha 5 11-20-2007 12:00 AM

I just purchase the entire blade frame and all. It is even easier to change than your DIY. lol.

FGCOUPE 11-20-2007 12:42 AM

are you for real?

not only would that cost more, being a 12.00 blade replacement...
buying the whole thing would cost alot more and no...not easier
cuz then it would mean actually using a tool (open end) and line it
up on the spline.

not so smart matt!:moon:

Alpha 5 11-20-2007 12:51 AM

Dude, you are jumping off the handle.

Not the arm just the blade.

WOW, get a grip.

speedfoos 11-20-2007 01:54 AM

Yeah, I just replace the whole blade each time as well. Much easier. But it looks like it's not possible with the 8th gen, IDK.

FGCOUPE 11-20-2007 02:09 AM

No, im not jumping off the handle matt...

2 things you can do to replace the 8th Gen wiper blades:

A. Replace the rubber blade only which slides out from the arm.
B. The entire assembly which ill assume will run at approx 80.00 /Ea

:giggle:

pokemon 03-12-2008 09:28 PM

I have same problem removing the blade cover. No matter how much I squeeze, the thing just won't move. Anyone has any suggestion so I don't break the thing.

OrganizedChaos 09-17-2008 04:40 PM

I know this is an old thread, BUT, it amazed me at how "Intelligent" the design of this blade was....., so much that when I had to replace my girls Blades, it's clean design stumped me..., so I googled it and ended up here....
Now for starters..., at a glance it is hard to figure out...., and Looking at the DIY by FGCOUPE, sorry bro' but your ability to convey the message isn't clear at all..., After about an hour of trying to follow your directions, attempt after attempt, I decided to just STARE AT IT and figure the $h!t out for myself...
First of all, nothing has to be removed other than the blade insert itself...
The arm is covered with a rubber cover which is ONE PIECE, top and sides. The end of the arm has a SOFT AND FLEXIBLE portion so by simply pulling the end up with your thumb, it lifts to expose the tracks.
You'll feel the softer part of the Rubber arm's end which exposes the track and it will be obvious what to do when you feel it...

Simply Pull out the Old Blade,

Take out the Metal Inserts....

Put the Metal Inserts into your new blades.....

and slide them in...

HERE IS THE COMMON SENSE BUT YET TRICKY PART...!!!!

Look carefully at your new blades, the blades have grooves or guides, whatever you wanna call them that allow the blades to be placed (SLID) into the arms...

ONE END OF THE REPLACEMENT BLADES ARE SQUARE, THE OTHER END IS SHAPED LIKE THE LETTER " I "...

Do not lead with the square end.... it won't cooperate....
The grooves in the sides of the replacement wiper blades DO NOT extend all the way to the "Square" end. (which makes it impossible to load the wiper blade into the arm if you start from this side...)

The grooves in the wiper blade STARTS on the side that Looks like the letter " I " which allows the blade to simply slide into the arm's tracks...

IF YOU TRY TO SLIDE THE BLADE IN BACKWARDS, IT WILL NOT ONLY BE VERY DIFFICULT, BUT YOU WILL RIP YOUR NEW BLADES TO SHREDS AND END UP ORDERING NEW ONES.

Ain't this whole thing funny..???
I couldn't figure it out at first, tried to follow this Thread and DIY instructions...
Wasted an hour and a half trying to understand what you all were talking about...
Stared and fondled the arms and blades until it looked like a felony..
Then found that it was easier to stare at it logically than try to understand what was going on here.....
Hopefully the next person that googles "Honda Civic Wiper Blade Replacement" and ends up here has an easier time understanding how we figured out the Advanced Rocket Science of Wiper Blades - 101.
Wait till ya'll SEE how easy it is to replace these civic wiper blades. It's cheap, it's simple, and it's so dam easy, I feel like an idiot for taking more than 5 minutes of my life to install it...

gearbox 09-17-2008 10:02 PM

great first post!

Mattrx 11-24-2008 02:05 PM

I needed to replace my wiper blades too - but have the 2008 Civic. It does not have the plastic end caps you mentioned above.

The instruction manual has a very helpful step-by-step to replace, it only took about 10 minutes to have them all done.

I ordered replacement blades online, I believe the total cost per set was 8.50. I used a flat screwdriver to pop up the clip on top of the head/arm, then slid the head down to unhook it, turn and pull off the head. Then you pull the blade out from one end of the head, pull out the 2 metal side supports, put them in the new blade, align the end with the tab catch as with the old ones, then slide the blade back into the head, then reinstall the head in opposite order of removal.

Have had the blades since purchase in January 2008 so wanted to change them prior to more winter here in Michigan.

jreagan 11-27-2008 09:28 AM

Wow! I've wrenched on cars for years. I own 2 motorcycles. I grew up helping my Dad in his garage. I have an engineering degree from Purdue.

And I've just given up on replacing the blades.

I bought both replacement blades and replacement inserts online.

I couldn't get the caps off with a screwdriver, etc. All I ended up doing is scratching and distorting the cap and scraping myself.

I then went to see if I could just slide out the insert as described above. However, I couldn't figure out which END to peel back and remove the insert. I was able to peel back the end farthest from the end of the arm. I saw the end of the insert with the I-shape. It wouldn't pull out. It was just stretching. Did I need to pull out from the other end?

So I'm taking a break, enjoying some turkey, solve global warming, and then I'll head back down to the garage and look again.

jreagan 11-27-2008 09:34 AM

Looking at the replacement inserts and re-reading OC's post, I figured out that the "bottom" end (the one closest to the hinge point) must be the one with the square end. So pulling back the rubber cover, I can feel the end of the insert (you can't see it when the blade is still attached to the arm since you can't get your head that far down). You have to tug hard as there are some detents somewhere along the insert. However, with the blade still on the arm, I'm not sure I can pull the whole insert out without bending the metal bands along the side of the insert. I'll look later when I'm "rested".

At least my CR-V doesn't have anything this weird.

penguix 11-27-2008 03:56 PM

well i came across this thread googling as well... this POS engineering is pissing me off...not very japanese if you ask me [edit: oh, the blades are bosch. that explains it: unnecessarily complicated german engineering]

the first blade i got with no problem. the second blade took me 15min to get the stupid insert in because it wouldn't glide along the "track" smoothly, no matter which way I tried it. I had to move it like 1mm at a time. and then part of the end piece broke when I tried clicking it down...great.

now I can't get the f'in assemblies back on the wiper arms. the instruction manual says to just slide them in (just like how I slid them out with no problem), but no matter what angle I try, etc. I can't get it to fit in...wtf??? :hithead::hithead::hithead::hithead:

what's the secret?

preylude 12-22-2008 10:30 AM

Hi all,

Just a quick note about wiper replacement from my experience. The wipers on my 2006 Civic were shot so I Googled to see the best approach. After seeing a widely mixed response on the difficulty, I decided to call up the dealer and see how much it would set me back to just go there and get it done.

The main points:
1. It's almost certain you only need the rubber wiper _inserts_, not the full blades
2. Most dealers will install them for free

Both inserts together cost me a grand total of $12.60 CDN including tax, and they took it into the bay on a very cold winter day and installed them for free.

15 minutes total from arrival at the dealership. No appointment required.

So if you want a no-hassle, cheap, quick fix, that's what I'd recommend :)

c_butrick 02-08-2009 09:39 PM

I have a 2006 EX Sedan, I think that the manual is poorly written regarding the wiper blades, and Honda dropped the ball in designing them.

In taking the blades off, I found that it is more important to pull than it is to squeeze. I had to pull pretty hard. After I was able to get the assembly off, I wen't to O'Reilly's and picked up some Bosch blade replacements. They are WAY easier to install.

TestMaster 04-04-2009 05:48 PM

ok, just went through this mystery today - and I read in a previous post the dealer will install for free and it was true at my dealership also, however, was in a hurry-so I decided to do it at home by myself--i searched the internet and it seemed this was the forum I last read about the wiper replacement situation -- my experience was this--while squeezing the plastic cover I inserted a flat-head screw driver into the rectangular gap between the cap and the arm, with minimal force slide the cap forward (about 1/8 an inch) and off it came--- at that point the wiper arms un-clip like any others I have ever replaced and then you pull back the plastic on the end of the arm where the blade is marked "lock" and slide the suspect blade out--take the metal stave's from old blade and put in new one(s) slide back in and ---presto chango - its done-

MAZURY 07-25-2009 10:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Since, it took me some time to figure out how to replace those refills in my 2006 Civic, I decided to create a "HOW TO" document with step by step instructions.

Attachment 76993

I hope this helps.

johng35 07-26-2009 09:17 AM

The coupe is different from the sedan... according to the service manual I got, the
2 door looks is far easier than the 4 door. ( at least the 06-08)
I have a coupe and it took 2 minutes to repalce both inserts...i did not even need to take the entire blade off the arm.

ws2374 12-06-2009 11:14 PM

I gave up using my bare hands. I needed pliers and a big screw driver. I'm just happy I didn't damage any of the parts.

jdquinn 12-17-2009 06:47 PM

Just so everyone knows, you're arguing with each other over two DIFFERENT designs. I don't have a coupe, but on my 2007 Civic sedan, the cap (that the googlers like myself are having a problem with) is at the end of the wiper ARM, not the blade. The pictures that fgcoup posted are from either a coupe or a different year sedan. The 'cap' is not on the wiper blade assembly, it's on the arm that attaches to the blade assembly.

I used a small screwdriver, popped the cover forward with a twist motion instead of a prying motion, it came right off with no damage. I replaced the entire assembly with a Rain-X Latitude blade. I did not mess with removing the metal strips and blade from the Honda blade assembly, because the replacement attaches to the J-bar straight out of the package and works just fine.

Don't get frustrated when reading these replies, if the pictures/process that people are explaining seems completely different than your situation, it probably is. Most of the googling I did led me to 'other' instructions, and inevitably people calling each other idiots for not understanding the process that they were explaining, which was the wrong process in the first place.

MidniteCivic 01-29-2010 10:00 PM

Thanks so much for the info. I have swapped out refills before, but using sheer determination. I saw in Aid Auto that the 2006 Civic Sedan is a unique blade - not in stock. I will try the dealer. Looking forward to adventure!

wmp999 02-04-2010 08:27 AM

I just wanted to say thanks for this thread. I've been driving for almost 40 years, and have never, before the 2006 Civic, had someone else replace a wiper blade. One of these tricks is bound to work. And I no longer feel like a moron for not being able to figure it out.

On to the headrest and new quieter tires...

lordway 02-14-2010 10:27 PM

someone should clear all the other posts and leave yours there. save us all some time wading through the waste. Thanks for taking the time to leave an intelligent description of how it is done.

jeff618 03-10-2010 10:35 AM

I just read through this whole string and I think one of the points of argument/confusion is that many people don't realize that on certain versions of the 8th gen civic you can get inexpensive aftermarket replacement wipers (frame and blade) but on others you can't - you have to get refills/inserts and stick with the honda wiper frames.

06-10 Civic COUPE = 28" Driver Side & 25" Passenger Side (aftermarket available)
08-10 Civic SEDAN = 26" DS & 22" PS (aftermarket available)
06-07 Civic SEDAN = Have to go to dealer - aftermarket replacements are NOT AVAILABLE

Just make sure you look-up the make, model and year - and keep an eye on trim/body style - of your civic in the application guidebook or by Googling 'lookup wiper size'. If something is listed, you're good to go. If something is not listed - see ya at the dealer! Just pay attention (especially to bodystyle/trim of the civic) and you'll be ok.

BTW, The driver side 28" blade in the new-style, frameless wiper on the 07 Coupe is hit or miss at a lot of the stores around me. With some research, I found the 'Trico Tech Beam Blades' online (both 28" & 25") and they work excellent. They just came out in late 2009 and what's nice is they have a lower, slightly off-set attachment mounting that allows the wiper arms to sit slightly lower. They’re beefy as hell and look sleek with the lower mounts. Wipe clean and quietly without chatter. Came with removal and replacement instructions - easy install. They fit nicely. Very nice replacement windshield wiper blades!! Picked them up online.

Hope this all helps...

:rockon:

ninjadog 03-21-2010 08:39 PM

My car is only a few weeks old and the wipers are probably the worst I have ever seen. They worked good for about a week then they started to sound like they were made from sand paper. They leave streaks like crazy and make it very hard to see even after I made sure they were clean. I was going to change them already with some good ones but this tread makes me wonder...While I'm ranting whats with the one delay setting, every car I ever owned, even the biggest POS had an adjustable delay.

1960greenbug 06-03-2010 01:16 PM

Rain-X Latitude .... replacement for OEM '07 Civic Coupe

After MUCH trial and error/research/800-customer service calls I finally found replacement windshield wiper blades that are compatible with an '07 civic coupe....:hithead:

I was determined to find a replacement that didn't require going to the dealer to buy the inserts @ $7 each. :yell:

The Rain-X Latitude 24" blades fit .... at around $17.00 each....

If you want to save time and money just get them from an OEM source.

notmyhonda 10-22-2010 02:06 AM

I was trying to change the wiper refills on my girlfriend's 2007 Honda Civic and found it very difficult, at first. The biggest and most frustrating problem is removing the cap that covers the hinge of the blade and wiper arm. Instructions say squeeze and pull, and I met with no success by that method. I did eventually get this off, but not without effort. Maybe an explanation of *what* you are trying to accomplish will help:

The cap, shaped like a saddle, has a split plastic rivet underneath and this locks into the blade. The concept is that you squeeze the cap, which presses the two halves of the rivet together, and by pulling up at the same time you have cleared the hole it was snapped into. By squeezing where the manufacturer has the traction molding for your fingers at the very end of the cap is not sufficient to push the rivet pieces together! I suggest you squeeze a little further beyond as you gently pry it up with a flathead screwdriver from the top front gap of the cap/saddle.

Once you have the cap off you will want to remove the wiper blade from the arm so that you can replace the blade, or just the refill.

From here, the wipers are similar to most others. The wiper arm and blade are connected at the hinged point. The hinge is an open loop ( like the letter 'J' ) at the end of the wiper arm. The blade rests in this open loop and is held in place by a silver metal tension spring tab located in the underside of the wiper arm. You can press the tension tab from underneath the wiper arm, where they meet at the hinge. At the same time, you push the wiper blade free of the arm by firmly pushing the blade down towards, and out, of the arm.

If you are replacing the rubber refills:

As explained in other posts, the refills have two different ends. One end is a thinner 'I' shape. This is the top of the wiper. The bottom part of the refill is a square block shape. To slide out the old ones you are replacing:
Peel back the rubberized cover on the blade at the bottom and you will see the block shaped end. Pull/Slide it out from this direction. The refill will come out with two long metal pieces that you will fit into the rubber refill.

You want to replace the refill by sliding the thinner "I" end back into the wiper blade first. Place the metal pieces into the side slots of the refill. I found it easier to just start these pieces in the refill and then guide them as you slowly slide the refill into place.

I apologize for the long post, but I hope the descriptions save you the frustration I encountered.

Good luck with the wipers, Winter is coming!

Rob H 12-03-2010 09:22 PM

I was getting beyond frustrated trying to do this on my '06 Civic Sedan. The manual made it look so easy but neglected to say you need the jaws of life to pry those covers off. :hithead::hithead:

But then I came here and combined the good advice of two posts. First, unlike the manual, Organized Chaos states pretty well what the hell one is looking at with these blades. I followed his advice and saw how it could be done, but it was awkward for me to do it with the blades still attached to the arms. Plus it was cold and hard to feel my fingers after a few minutes.

So I went the screwdriver route and followed the advice on using a flathead to move the covers off. It takes some minor fiddling, but once I got the head of the screwdriver in position with the blades parallel to the arms, I stuck it in that small space which presents itself, squeezed where the manual says to, and not too forcibly pushed the covers and they came off. Hallelujah! Once that was done, it was a fairly easy step to remove the blades from the arms.

So the screwdriver route definitely works. :_bow:

Then I took the blades inside and followed OC's advice on how to get the old inserts out and the new ones in. Worked like a charm. My only addition to this method was using the pliers on my leatherman to snag the insert to begin pulling it out.

Note to Honda... you could be a little more creative with the manuals. Like telling people that responsibly using something as simple as a flathead screwdriver can make this process far easier. Or you could hire Organized Chaos to help write the manual.

Anyway, thanks to some people here, this all worked out.

billdncn 12-17-2010 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by MAZURY (Post 4427079)
Since, it took me some time to figure out how to replace those refills in my 2006 Civic, I decided to create a "HOW TO" document with step by step instructions.

Attachment 76993

I hope this helps.

This.

BTW, hi from the new guy. '06 Sedan :cool:

I had bought replacement blades from Napa ($56) and gave up on them. Returned them for refund.
Stopped by the Dealership and picked up replacement inserts ($17). Came home and (leaving on the blade assy) lifted up the end cover, got a firm grip and slid out the old inserts. Installed the metal stiffeners into the new wiper inserts and sliding the chamfered end back in first.... Done. Took about 5 min.

Thanks for the info

Old Car Nut 02-05-2011 08:58 PM

I spent about 30 minutes trying to figure out how to get the wiper blades free of the arms and gave up. They wouldn't come off. However, just in looking at it, here's the five minute method that does not require removing the blade. The vehicle is a 2007 Civic sedan.

Lift the blade away from the windshield.

Standing on the side of the car, lift up the rubber section that covers the butt end of the wiper that is closest to you (it's pointing towards the windshield). You can do this with your fingernail. Pull on the wiper refill towards you and along the direction of the blade and it will slide down towards the windshield.

When you pull out about three inches, the metal inserts hit the windshield and you can't pull the refills out any more. Lay the wiper arm against the window and remove the rest of the wiper insert, making sure not to permanently bend the metal inserts.

Remove the metal pieces and insert into the new refill.

Lift the wiper arm up from the window. Lift up the rubber that covers the **OTHER** butt end of the wiper blade (this is the end sticking up into the air) and insert the "I" shaped end of the refill into the groove. Push the wiper refill down towards the windshield and it will slide all the way into the blade.

Repeat for the other side.

jeff618 02-10-2011 11:37 AM

Re: Wiper Blade Replacement - how?:

Get rid of the factory boat anchors and replace with aftermarket. Found wipers that fit the special "push button" wiper arm attachments on the 06+ honda civics. They don't look exactly the same as OEM, but the trico neoform beam blades direct-connect - no cheesy, plastic adapters (which many other aftermarket blades require). The wiper arm sits lower and there's less play in the attachment. Smooth, quiet, wipe-clean and priced fairly. ...Oh...and install takes about 2 minutes.

jimgrim 04-26-2011 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by penguix (Post 4365836)
now I can't get the f'in assemblies back on the wiper arms. the instruction manual says to just slide them in (just like how I slid them out with no problem), but no matter what angle I try, etc. I can't get it to fit in...wtf???

I'm having the same issue. There seems to be a small tab on each blade that is catching on the arm as I try to slide the blade back on the arm. This tab apparently needs to go under the part of the arm that it's catching on but I can't find any give in it to make it go under. The tab doesn't appear to be on a spring like you think it would be.